DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wireless charging. Whats in our future?

Former Member

Reactions
Although it has been around quite a while, I am still amazed by the idea of wireless charging. Being able to charge your phone or toothbrush without plugging it in is a great invention, and Im wondering if anyone has seen it put to larger scale use? It took me a while to get used to the fantastic idea of Bluetooth, but wireless charging and/or power could change our lives dramatically. For now, I have no speaker wires running all over my house, thanks to Bluetooth, but would love to see some wireless charging technology being put to larger scale use.

The problem that triggered my thinking is how the Micro USB port on the side of the Mavic controller is so fragile. If it was able to be charged wirelessly, there would be no more broken ports.

An interesting read:

Wireless charging explained: What is it and how does it work?

Last edited:
"The ability to transmit electricity through the air by creating a magnetic field between two circuits, a transmitter, and a receiver." Imagine you could use this technology for flying drones. I mean your drone could fly for a whole day. This could be a mean of using drones as moving security cameras(which still has a problem with flight time).

Reactions: Former Member
Efficient wireless charging is only possible using resonant circuits, and even then only works at a few coil diameters range. It should work fine to charge the RC, but it's going to struggle with pushing the tens of watts needed to charge the flight batteries, or the hundreds of watts needed to keep a drone in the air, and it's not going to work over a distance of more than a few inches.

Reactions: Former Member
Some electric cars and electric busses have wireless charging stations.

The biggest issue is charging range range. Second biggest issue is efficiency.

In the future we might see a generic charging pad in your desk/table. Then you can just throw your controller, drone and batteries on top and it will charge them, as well as power your laptop/ mouse keyboard, charge your phone, TV remote, etc.

Maybe we also get charging pads in parking spaces or even at strategic places in the road, so your car will charge itself while waiting for the red light.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom