DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

With all the law changes,can I sell a photo taken for hobby purposes?

this site already knows my location ,all i am saying is knowing what part of the world the OP comes from helps people give an appropriate answer with regards to questions about rules specific to where they live i have no desire to know you exact address

We're dragging this topic into the ditches. Back on track.

Sorry bud but BOTH of those comments are incorrect as you've written them.

The FAA doesn't mandate what you do with the pics. They are only concerned with the flight and the INTENT at the time of the flight.

A hobby operator can capture DATA for Hobby/Recreational purpose and then after the flight realize "Oh I captured something cool/News Worthy/Of Value" and donate it, give it, SELL it or whatever. It's about the INTENT of the FLIGHT! (Although if a Hobby/Recreational operator has repeat instances of this happening they might be called to the carpet... or they might not... who knows for sure?)
Well that's interesting because I don't recall anything about intent.
My take was that it IS what you do with the photograph, and that the FAA does mandant, the some degree, what you do with them. If you accept any form of remuneration (I think the example was free tickets) and/or it is used for commercial purposes then it falls under part 107, regardless of your intent at the time fo the flight.

Of course if you are hired to take them then it is part 107.
If this is incorrect I'd really like to see some reference so I can correct my understanding.

Reactions: Earthman
And yet, forcing someone to add location as a hard requirement is not something that even Facebook does.
Which is completely different! People share all sorts of personal information on FB, and I refuse to use it. Here you are basically anonymous. So who cares if people know that Phantom Fandom lives in Philadelphia, PA, USA? Wow you can really do a lot with that information.

Well that's interesting because I don't recall anything about intent.
My take was that it IS what you do with the photograph, and that the FAA does mandant, the some degree, what you do with them. If you accept any form of remuneration (I think the example as free tickets) and/or it is used for commercial purposes then it falls under part 107, regardless of your intent at the time fo the flight.

Of course if you are hired to take them then it is part 107.
If this is incorrect I'd really like to see some reference so I can correct my understanding.

Sorry bud but you took it wrong and you missed the citation in link #15.

Here is the link provided by @Vic Moss

Here's a quote directly from the link:

"The FAA does not regulate whether a third party not involved in the operation of an aircraft- manned or unmanned- can receive pictures, videos, or other information that was gathered using that aircraft, or how that third party can use those pictures, videos, or other information."

Then it says:
"The focus ofthe FAA's oversight instead will be on the operator and operation of an aircraft: whether the operation of the UAS to collect the pictures, videos, or other information has been authorized by the FAA (unless the UAS is operated as a model aircraft under section 336); and whether the operation was conducted in accordance with the terms of the authorization."

My take was that it IS what you do with the photograph,
Yes that is your take but it is not correct.

If you accept any form of remuneration (I think the example was free tickets)
Renumeration or compensation is not needed in order to make a flight a commercial endeavor. It falls under commercial if the INTENT of the flight is anyhting other than purely and exclusively of a recreational nature.

@BigAl07 already listed specific wording from the FAA.

Reactions: BigAl07

"The FAA does not regulate whether a third party not involved in the operation of an aircraft- manned or unmanned- can receive pictures, videos, or other information that was gathered using that aircraft, or how that third party can use those pictures, videos, or other information."

Then it says:
"The focus ofthe FAA's oversight instead will be on the operator and operation of an aircraft: whether the operation of the UAS to collect the pictures, videos, or other information has been authorized by the FAA (unless the UAS is operated as a model aircraft under section 336); and whether the operation was conducted in accordance with the terms of the authorization."

I see so that is a memorandum (as opposed to laws/rules/regulation) from 2015 that only applies to news media.
You could take a picture/video of a news event and use it for a newspaper or tv news.
Predates part 107. Don't recall anything about intent in part 107 but will check.

I see so that is a memorandum (as opposed to laws/rules/regulation) from 2015 that only applies to news media.
You could take a picture/video of a news event and use it for a newspaper or tv news.
Predates part 107. Don't recall anything about intent in part 107 but will check.

Call your local FSDO and get them to send it to you in writing.

The important point is that this ONLY applies to MEDIA USE. Which typically means news media, and I don't see that it applies to the OPS use.

The memo was in response to a question about news gathering, but the statements in it are clearly broader:

Whether an individual taking pictures or videos or gathering other information using a model aircraft under the section 336 carve-out could later sell those pictures, videos, or other information would depend on the person's original intentions in conducting the operation. If the individual's (sic) takes the pictures or videos or gathers other information as part of a hobby or recreational activity, then a later decision to sell some or all of those pictures, videos, or other information would not change the character of the operation as part of a hobby or recreational activity that falls within the section 336 carve-out for model aircraft. No FAA authorization for that operation would be required.
However, if the individual is conducting the operation with the primary intention of obtaining pictures, videos, or other information to sell, then the operation is commercial in nature and not part of a hobby or recreational activity. As noted above,such operations currently would require an authorization from the FAA. Evidence that may indicate an individual's true intentions in conducting an operation may include the frequency with which pictures, videos, or other information collected using an unmanned aircraft is later resold. Operations that frequently result in pictures, videos, or other information that is sold to a third party may indicate that the operation is in fact commercial in nature notwithstanding the individual's claim of a hobby or recreational purpose. The FAA would have to consider each case on its own merits.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The memo was in response to a question about news gathering, but the statements in it are clearly broader:

Whether an individual taking pictures or videos or gathering other information using a model aircraft under the section 336 carve-out could later sell those pictures, videos, or other information would depend on the person's original intentions in conducting the operation. If the individual's (sic) takes the pictures or videos or gathers other information as part of a hobby or recreational activity, then a later decision to sell some or all of those pictures, videos, or other information would not change the character of the operation as part of a hobby or recreational activity that falls within the section 336 carve-out for model aircraft. No FAA authorization for that operation would be required.
However, if the individual is conducting the operation with the primary intention of obtaining pictures, videos, or other information to sell, then the operation is commercial in nature and not part of a hobby or recreational activity. As noted above,such operations currently would require an authorization from the FAA. Evidence that may indicate an individual's true intentions in conducting an operation may include the frequency with which pictures, videos, or other information collected using an unmanned aircraft is later resold. Operations that frequently result in pictures, videos, or other information that is sold to a third party may indicate that the operation is in fact commercial in nature notwithstanding the individual's claim of a hobby or recreational purpose. The FAA would have to consider each case on its own merits.
Well I'm not a lawyer so I don't know just how clear that is. It's title is "Media Use of UAS" and since the FAA seems to have not pursued any case involving this, I guess you could try to take as broader until this becomes an issue.

You can’t fly a mission for any other purpose than your own personal enjoyment unless you have a 107 certificate. If you give or sell a photo afterward is irrelevant, it only matters what your intention is at the time of flight.
Thank you Brett!

Well I'm not a lawyer so I don't know just how clear that is. It's title is "Media Use of UAS" and since the FAA seems to have not pursued any case involving this, I guess you could try to take as broader until this becomes an issue.

The title of section III of the memo is "News gathering by an individual using a model aircraft", and it explicitly refers to the recreational exemption. So unless you are going to argue that it is directed at media company employees inadvertently gathering news while flying their model aircraft recreationally, then of course it is completely obvious what it means.

Reactions: pelagic_one
This is often confused because people think of the photograph as being commercial when the FAA has no rules about photographs or selling them.
It's not the photos that the FAA cares about, it's the flight.
If there was any offence, it would be unlicensed commercial flight, not selling photos.
But if the flight carried out in the past was completely legal, selling a photo in the future can't retrospectively make a legal flight, now illegal.

Can you provide any documentation to back up your opinnion? You don't know this but there have been a couple of posts made by people who are actually affiliated with the FAA trying to help you understand your misunderstanding.

In general if the photo is used in promotion of any kind or furtherance of business it is subject to 107. If you are a farmer and use the drone to check on your crops you need a 107. Of course it's only legal if you get caught and I doubt the FAA is looking for farmers checking crop conditions.

Bear in mind copyright rules, which are separate from any FAA rules about gathering imagery. The photographer/videographer implicitly owns the copyright to the material, especially if she posts a notice to that effect. Any use of that material without approval from that person violates the copyright law, at least in the US, and most of Europe.

Then it says:

This link is pre-part 107. The date on this is 2015. It wasn't until June of 2106 that part 107 was created. I would imagine intent went away at that point and the official "Furtherance of Business" definition started. This took away intent and basically states that if the image is used in "Furtherance of Business", whether given away for free or not, a Part 107 certification is required.

Reactions: Earthman
This link is pre-part 107. The date on this is 2015. It wasn't until June of 2106 that part 107 was created. I would imagine intent went away at that point and the official "Furtherance of Business" definition started. This took away intent and basically states that if the image is used in "Furtherance of Business", whether given away for free or not, a Part 107 certification is required.

Nothing changed - not because of Part 107 but because the recreational exemption didn't change. Part 107 applies to all flights that are not exempted under something else - in this case 101 or, more recently, 349. The recreational exemption explicitly only applies to the flight itself - it neither allows nor prohibits the subsequent use of material.

The FAA is the Federal Aviation Administration and it is part of the larger US Department of Transportation. They administrate aviation. They do not administrate trade or commerce and have no jurisdiction over it. Once you have landed and are no longer engaged with the process of flight you are no longer under the jurisdiction of the FAA.

You misunderstand the “furtherance of business” meaning. A FLIGHT conducted for the purpose “for the furtherance of business” requires a part 107 certificate but once that flight concludes the purpose of it cannot be changed retroactively. If a flight is conducted for the purpose of personal recreation and later is determined that information or photos from the flight had commercial value that does not change the purpose of the flight and therefore does not violate sec. 349 of the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018. if you are purposely flying for any other reason than recreation then you need a part 107 certificates. It is the purpose of the flight that matters. Keep in mind this is an act of Congress signed into law by the President which means it supersedes part 107.

[[Page 132 STAT. 3298]]

``Sec. 44809. <<NOTE: 49 USC 44809.>> Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft

``(a) In General.--Except as provided in subsection (e), and notwithstanding chapter 447 of title 49, United States Code, a person
may operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification oroperating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the
operation adheres to all of the following limitations:

``(1) The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational
purposes.

``(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization's set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration.

``(3) The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located and in direct communication with the operator.

``(4) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft.

``(5) In Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport, the operator obtains prior authorization from the Administrator or designee before operating and complies with all airspace restrictions andprohibitions.

``(6) In Class G airspace, the aircraft is flown from the surface to not more than 400 feet above ground level and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.

``(7) The operator has passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test described in subsection (g) and maintains proof of test passage to be made available to the Administrator or lawenforcement upon request.

``(8) The aircraft is registered and marked in accordance with chapter 441 of this title and proof of registration is made available to the Administrator or a designee of the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.

You do not need a part 107 certificate as long as you adhere to all these rules

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229