DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

With Avata 2 and Goggles 3 coming, is there a case to be made for MC3?

Droning on and on...

Reactions
Most of the deficiencies of the first Motion Controller were addressed with the MC2, and I'd like to think it was inspired by a few threads here where we suggested exactly the changes made.

For me, it's about perfect. However, there may be some additional improvements that could go in to a 3rd iteration of the device.

One I can think of would be an Altitude Hold feature, which would hold altitude constant when activated, and forward/back tilt would then just control gimbal tilt and not affect altitude. To be fair, this doesn't necessarily require an MC3, but could be added to the existing MC2 with some CSC-like control combination.

Other ideas?

I would like to see a one-button press for head-tracking mode enabled/disabled.
I would like to have some sort of vibration in the stick for things like low-battery warning, aircraft nearby, and/or obstacle in teh past (like the FPV).
And finally I would like to see a function such as extra-power or "boost" if you squeeze the MC3 for some type of burst mode to power thru especially if they do not increase the speed in Sport Mode.

Also I see there is a remote controller 3 but it looks the same as RC2 so maybe it's O4?

Either way, this is all going to be good stuff and I'm looking forward to buying and using it...next year.

RC2 is O4.

If the Avata2 is O4 (which surely it is, right?) it will take either a new RC, or a firmware upgrade.

Recall that the MC2 is already doing O4 with the A3 and M4P.

RC2 is O4.

If the Avata2 is O4 (which surely it is, right?) it will take either a new RC, or a firmware upgrade.

Recall that the MC2 is already doing O4 with the A3 and M4P.
oh ok that's right. i'm hoping whatever the transmission, it is much improved....maybe o4+. maybe it's the antenna. i could use a bit more penetration when meandering thru the creek beds and into the empty buildings.

oh ok that's right. i'm hoping whatever the transmission, it is much improved....maybe o4+. maybe it's the antenna. i could use a bit more penetration when meandering thru the creek beds and into the empty buildings.

I'm with you there. Unfortunately, physics is our enemy... I love exploring creeks with the Avata too. The water also means tons of foliage, which blocks radio.

While clever signal encoding and time can get around this to a degree, in the end penetrating those environments requires power, something we're not allowed to have.

Last edited:
Reactions: mavic3usa
Other options, like phone connection, won’t happen as it would be too easy to violate BVLOS. Would require an additional line but probably worth it for professionals.

Other options, like phone connection, won’t happen as it would be too easy to violate BVLOS. Would require an additional line but probably worth it for professionals.

LTE is a good solution for many situations like this.

If I could put a gigantic relay antenna on the highest hill in the area broadcasting at much higher power than the 2W I do now, I could get a lot places with signal that are impossible straight-line right now.

Never mind... MC3 is already a done deal with Avata 2 and goggles 3. The entire Avata product structure is being updated.

This suggests to me the initial Avata, MC-only control product package was wildly successful, well beyond what they forecast.

Look for more and more support for goggles and MC across the consumer models. So far, any new camera drone since the Avata has been getting MC/goggles support.

Starting to accumulate goggles and MCs... after getting the Avata 2, I'll be up to 3 each (skipped goggles 2, integra instead).

It's a good thing though, I've discovered Audience Mode for the goggles. Now if only they'd implement some sort of training mode between two MCs, a master and slave or something.

Last edited:
Never mind... MC3 is already a done deal with Avata 2 and goggles 3. The entire Avata product structure is being updated.

This suggests to me the initial Avata, MC-only control product package was wildly successful, well beyond what they forecast.

Look for more and more support for goggles and MC across the consumer models. So far, any new camera drone since the Avata has been getting MC/goggles support.

Starting to accumulate goggles and MCs... after getting the Avata 2, I'll be up to 3 each (skipped goggles 2, integra instead).

It's a good thing though, I've discovered Audience Mode for the goggles. Now if only they'd implement some sort of training mode between two MCs, a master and slave or something.
I keep seeing the RC3 pictured everywhere, I honestly believe there will be an Avata 2 package which contains the RC3. I love the MC and even if it were not part of a new package, I would still buy it as an accessory. But I can't imagine only selling new Avata 2 kits with MC only option and the only way to get RC3 is to buy it separately (unless there is an FPV2 kit coming soon) despite Avata 1 being so popular. One of the many reasons I will wait one year to buy Avata 2.

My RC/MC usage ratio is 80/20 on FPV drones, I don't yet have the confidence with MC on long, far away, extended flights in challenging places.

Wouldn't it be the coolest, smartest move on DJI's part to make it compatible with the RC2 and the N2?

Easy to do from an engineering standpoint, or so it would appear.

Too bad they're not gonna. It would be a win-win.

Wouldn't it be the coolest, smartest move on DJI's part to make it compatible with the RC2 and the N2?

Easy to do from an engineering standpoint, or so it would appear.

Too bad they're not gonna. It would be a win-win.
I have to believe there are hardly any more RC2 left for DJI to sell and promote. Would be nice to be backwards compatible but I think RC3 is a winner. Am I not seeing RC3 leaks? Maybe it really is an RC2 reskinned, kinda like a refresh.

I have to believe there are hardly any more RC2 left for DJI to sell and promote. Would be nice to be backwards compatible but I think RC3 is a winner. Am I not seeing RC3 leaks? Maybe it really is an RC2 reskinned, kinda like a refresh.

Have you seen RC3 leaks? I haven't yet. please share links!

Have you seen RC3 leaks? I haven't yet. please share links!
Check out this video. Shows the rumored retail packaging offered with the MC3 and it shows the RC3 single package by itself. Clearly the vast majority of purchasers will want the new RC3 and I anticipate a shortage early on. If DJI does not have a retail package offering RC3, they simply won't make enough RC3 to satisfy the demand because if they made enough, they would sell it as a package. ;)

Exactly the reason why I am waiting to buy the Avata 2. This is the same complaint we've seen so often before about DJI, "they forced me to buy a package with $200 MC3 that I don't want and I have the buy the RC3 separately and pay more and plus it's hard to find." And then one day if the Avata 2 comes in a retail package containing the RC3 then the original purchasers are pissed off because they were "forced" to buy the $200 MC3. We've seen this before. The answer is to just wait and see. Don't buy from DJI if they don't have exactly what you want and they'll get the message. Because they will try to move MC3 as many as they can right away. It is likely you cannot buy an Avata 2 package without the MC3. Early buyers will one day unload their barely used or never used MC3 for cheap and I'll pick up one for $89 later. Perhaps DJI gets creative and off a $90 discount coupon to early adopters towards the purchase of the $199 RC3 like they did with the MC1 to MC2 debacle.

I'm not sure the rumored retail packaging in this video and other leaked video is accurate, it may not contain the contents targeted for worldwide and it may not be the right size. I can see in addition a "super" combo offering extra batteries, the hub, and RC3 (with or without MC3) which I would get because there is a discount in there somewhere. But I agree with you, can't have enough Goggles. Currently have V2, 2, and Integra and they are most useful due to broadcast mode.

Check out this video. Shows the rumored retail packaging offered with the MC3 and it shows the RC3 single package by itself. Clearly the vast majority of purchasers will want the new RC3 and I anticipate a shortage early on. If DJI does not have a retail package offering RC3, they simply won't make enough RC3 to satisfy the demand because if they made enough, they would sell it as a package. ;)

Actually, makes sense, 'cause O4.

Don't buy from DJI if they don't have exactly what you want and they'll get the message.

Sorry, can't help with the boycott. If I followed that principle I would own exactly zero DJI products 😁😁

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne