DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

With the Mini3 Pro Update... the sky?

DanJ

Reactions
In the release notes for the Mini3 Pro it mentions that more sky is available when shooting panoramas.
Has anyone tried this and does it include enough sky for a true 360 pano and not one where the top is missing?

In the release notes for the Mini3 Pro it mentions that more sky is available when shooting panoramas.
Has anyone tried this and does it include enough sky for a true 360 pano and not one where the top is missing?
Yes, it's substantially different with the 01.00.0300 version of the firmware. If it's still faking a portion of the sky, it's a small portion. Right now, the sun is too close to overhead and the clouds are such that it's difficult to be sure. I'll try some more shots later.

Here's a 360 pano I just shot. Click the image to open it and then click the circle/arrow icon to view it in 360.

And a clip showing just the sky directly overhead.

Screenshot 2022-08-18 141914.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it's substantially different with the 01.00.0300 version of the firmware. If it's still faking a portion of the sky, it's a small portion. Right now, the sun is too close to overhead and the clouds are such that it's difficult to be sure. I'll try some more shots later.

Here's a 360 pano I just shot. Click the image to open it and then click the circle/arrow icon to view it in 360.

View attachment 153505
Thank you!

View attachment 153505
Nice to see the full sky is now in the firmware. I have been doing it manually, guess it's time for a firmware update.

Yes. I was just out shooting today, and it takes an extra row of pictures at the top of the panorama.

Reactions: DanJ
12D61E66-CFC0-4BC6-BC65-1954E0A13DAD.pngView attachment CA391008-FEB9-4934-9717-E9FD4DB8448F.jpeg424E9F59-6402-4333-90A8-D67C0DD823D8.jpeg
These pano shots are incredible now.
I sure can’t find any synth sky.
In the Fly so the water is shimmering and moving, too. Nice work, DJI.

Anyone know how (simply) one can share the images on social the way they appear
In Fly?

Attachments

• E671D541-8B0D-4B8F-B433-7D614B3164A7.jpeg
    7.8 MB · Views: 28
This is good news. Any idea if they are doing it for the Mavic Mini as well?

This is good news. Any idea if they are doing it for the Mavic Mini as well?
Probably not. This requires true portrait mode and the extra gimbal tilt up that the M3P has.

At the moment, features not available on any other consumer drone that I'm aware of, so a real competitive advantage as long as it lasts.

Reactions: TheRock and Torque
To my chagrin, I discovered today that when you update the firmware it resets all your panorama settings. I'd checked my camera settings after the update, but not the panorama settings, and spent a couple of days shooting panoramas without saving the original images. :mad:

Stupid mistake, and while I haven't been anywhere I can't return to I lucked into some great light that doesn't happen very often.

Settings checked now, but kicking myself.

@johanwes
Thank you for the comparison. That is what we all expected to have. :D

What a great update ... I was longing for a proper installment of the hardware capabilities by DJI but would have never guessed they would deliver it out so soon.

Blows out any automatic panorama mode out of the water by now.
I just wished, they could implement AEB with the pano ... that's the only thing I miss but I am really happy to have the coverage now.

To my chagrin, I discovered today that when you update the firmware it resets all your panorama settings. I'd checked my camera settings after the update, but not the panorama settings, and spent a couple of days shooting panoramas without saving the original images. :mad:

Stupid mistake, and while I haven't been anywhere I can't return to I lucked into some great light that doesn't happen very often.

Settings checked now, but kicking myself.
Same thing happened to me. I was out taking panorama shots, when I arrived home I couldn't figure out what had happened or what did I do wrong. There was no folder for panorama. Eventually later that night I saw that the update did a reset on the camera settings. Kinda sucks I wasted my time taking pictures.

My main pano wish was and remains portrait orientation and without auto zeroing the gimbal tilt.

I just wished, they could implement AEB with the pano
I have requested that feature from DJI for several years now. Rather than having to take separate bracketed panoramas, be able to take the bracketed pictures at once. Would be faster and have fewer problems with ghosting.

I also want the ability to take a panorama without the drone bothering to stitch a panorama. I do that anyway, and it would mean less time waiting for the drone before taking the next shot.

@Robert Prior
Exactly my thoughts.
The drone panorama rendering is fine but there should be an advanced mode to deactivate it and save processing time. I still think that this is a major driver for DJI not to develop further and honestly, I was not sure if we would ever see the higher pitch of the gimbal which gladly we now have.

The other thing, with AEB, would also suit the Mini 3 Pro, as with dual ISO it can take 2 images at once anyway.
However, DJI has gone the way to dumb done things with DJI Fly for quite some time now and I think, we will never see an advanced configuration possibility for modes to tweak nor AEB with panorama.

Last edited:
Reactions: basyok
@Robert Prior
Exactly my thoughts.
The drone panorama rendering is fine but there should be an advanced mode to deactivate it and save processing time. I still think that this is a major driver for DJI not to develop further and honestly, I was not sure if we would ever see the higher pitch of the gimbal which gladly we now have.

The other thing, with AEB, would also suit the Mini 3 Pro, as with dual ISO it can take 2 images at once anyway.
However, DJI has gone the way to dumb done things with DJI Fly for quite some time now and I think, we will never see an advanced configuration possibility for modes to tweak nor AEB with panorama.
The "no processing" option would also be great for hyperlapses. Or better yet, "process later". I don't have a 3 pro yet, but with my Air 2, it's infuriating that I have to wait several minutes, while the drone is still in the air, without being able to shoot anything else, for it to process a hyperlapse. What a waste of battery.

From a UI and coding standpoint, making the rendering process switchable is trivial. They should do it.
I can see a potential issue — someone turns off the rendering and then complains their drone is broken because it doesn't make panoramas/hyperlapses anymore.

You'd need to design your UI to make that unlikely.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78