DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wobbling again-Mini 2 Sunset Hyperlapse

I have tried sunrise hyper lapses with the Mavic 2 Pro at 5 second intervals- same wobbles. Looking forward to your try at stabilization. Also, would still appreciate your step by step list to photograph the sunrise/sunset using timed intervals in photo mode at 5 seconds. I usually do not fly the drone (e.g.: make the drone travel) during the shoot because I am in a densely treed neighborhood and cannot maintain VLOS. I have tried flying very slowly over the bay (Biscayne Bay,Miami) in tripod mode at 5 second intervals too. No matter what I do, it wobbles.
My try at stabilization failed. No matter how I set the strength settings (-1.0 weak to 1.0 strong) or the smooth settings (.25 to 1.0) there was no change. I also tried the 3 different Stabilization Modes - Perspective, Similarity, and Translation with no change in wobble. I don't have an answer for you Dale, but it does seem your wobble is more drastic than mine. Give me a day or so and I'll post my process for a 5 second interval timelapse. I too do not fly my drone during the hyperlapse mode for the same reason you don't. Cannot maintain VLOS where I launch. The hover hyperlapse has been working for me pretty well.

Dear Lens

I greatly appreciate your help and persistence. Although I use Warp Stabilization in Premiere and purchased another product (Mercali SAL) neither worked. I really do not know the various settings available to me when I turn on Warp Stabilization. I just use the default, set at 50%, no reframing. One video I watched advised me tat Warp Stabilization is the same engine for Premiere and After Effects (which I also have on my Adobe Creative Cloud Plan).

I note that you are in Porstmouth,VA. I was the ophthalmologist for Langley AFB in Hampton 1968-1970 and know the area.

Dear Lens

I greatly appreciate your help and persistence. Although I use Warp Stabilization in Premiere and purchased another product (Mercali SAL) neither worked. I really do not know the various settings available to me when I turn on Warp Stabilization. I just use the default, set at 50%, no reframing. One video I watched advised me tat Warp Stabilization is the same engine for Premiere and After Effects (which I also have on my Adobe Creative Cloud Plan).

I note that you are in Porstmouth,VA. I was the ophthalmologist for Langley AFB in Hampton 1968-1970 and know the area.
Langley, what a great AFB and great people too. I've done a lot of work there and enjoyed every minute of it.
Here is my method of creating a hyperlapse video. If you want me to elaborate about any part please ask.

I shoot RAW and batch edit the DNG’s in DxO PhotoLab.
This creates a folder of sequentially numbered JPEG’s. (can choose JPEG, PNG or TIFF)

In Resolve, I go to the Media page and find the newly created folder in the Media Bin view
I click the file to bring it to the Media Pool. Then I go to the Edit page.
From the Edit page, I drag the video from the Media Pool onto the timeline
The only adjustment I make on the Edit page is to change the Zoom from 1.0 to 1.17
This is done to remove the black borders on the sides.

1629970951490.png

Go to the Color page. I use the Tracker feature to stabilize.
I do not do any color grading in Resolve, as this is done on the RAW’s in DxO PhotoLab
There are several ways to stabilize a video. This is just my method.
Choose Stabilizer from the drop down. (Default is Window) – Top right of the screenshot.

1629970996959.png

I set the Cropping Ratio at 0.25 (default is 0.50) I set Smooth to 0.50 (default is 0.25).
The Smooth setting determines how smooth the camera movements are.
I usually go with 0.50 This seems to work well for me. I leave Strength at its default 1.00 (strongest).
The Strength setting tells how strong you want the stabilization to be.
I leave Zoom checked. If unchecked your video floats around in a black box.
I use the Perspective Mode. Choices are Perspective, Similarity, Translation.
Below is the result after hitting the Stabilize button and completing the process.
The straight lines correspond to a stable hyperlapse.

1629971065457.png

I go to the Deliver page and render an MP4 video file in 4K. This is all I do.

Here is a brief explanation of the 3 stabilizer modes, if you’re interested. (Perspective, Similarity, Translation)

Stabilize Shaky Video Footage in DaVinci Resolve 17 | Motion Array

Again this is just my way of many ways to Stabilize a hyperlapse video.

Langley, what a great AFB and great people too. I've done a lot of work there and enjoyed every minute of it.
Here is my method of creating a hyperlapse video. If you want me to elaborate about any part please ask.

I shoot RAW and batch edit the DNG’s in DxO PhotoLab.
This creates a folder of sequentially numbered JPEG’s. (can choose JPEG, PNG or TIFF)

In Resolve, I go to the Media page and find the newly created folder in the Media Bin view
I click the file to bring it to the Media Pool. Then I go to the Edit page.
From the Edit page, I drag the video from the Media Pool onto the timeline
The only adjustment I make on the Edit page is to change the Zoom from 1.0 to 1.17
This is done to remove the black borders on the sides.

View attachment 134042

Go to the Color page. I use the Tracker feature to stabilize.
I do not do any color grading in Resolve, as this is done on the RAW’s in DxO PhotoLab
There are several ways to stabilize a video. This is just my method.
Choose Stabilizer from the drop down. (Default is Window) – Top right of the screenshot.

View attachment 134043

I set the Cropping Ratio at 0.25 (default is 0.50) I set Smooth to 0.50 (default is 0.25).
The Smooth setting determines how smooth the camera movements are.
I usually go with 0.50 This seems to work well for me. I leave Strength at its default 1.00 (strongest).
The Strength setting tells how strong you want the stabilization to be.
I leave Zoom checked. If unchecked your video floats around in a black box.
I use the Perspective Mode. Choices are Perspective, Similarity, Translation.
Below is the result after hitting the Stabilize button and completing the process.
The straight lines correspond to a stable hyperlapse.

View attachment 134044

I go to the Deliver page and render an MP4 video file in 4K. This is all I do.

Here is a brief explanation of the 3 stabilizer modes, if you’re interested. (Perspective, Similarity, Translation)

Stabilize Shaky Video Footage in DaVinci Resolve 17 | Motion Array

Again this is just my way of many ways to Stabilize a hyperlapse video.
Lens:

Thanks so much for all of the work you did on this for me. I am going to print it out and try it for the next episode of of the wobbles.

Right now my mind is on other things-Soon, We(my wife and I) leave for a 3 week photo safari of Tanzania and Kenya- Yes- despite Covid. We are required to get and print a negative PCR (nasal swab) test before leaving, once in Tanzania in the Serengeti before flying into Kenya (Nairobi) and once in Nairobi before flying to USA. I have rented a 600mm Nikkor f/4 prime lens and am carrying a very heavy gimbal for it. I am seriously overweight. (baggage). I also scored a drone permit for Tanzania but will have to use it very stealthily because the lodge owners are very fearful of the drones.

Dale

Lens:

Thanks so much for all of the work you did on this for me. I am going to print it out and try it for the next episode of of the wobbles.

Right now my mind is on other things-Soon, We(my wife and I) leave for a 3 week photo safari of Tanzania and Kenya- Yes- despite Covid. We are required to get and print a negative PCR (nasal swab) test before leaving, once in Tanzania in the Serengeti before flying into Kenya (Nairobi) and once in Nairobi before flying to USA. I have rented a 600mm Nikkor f/4 prime lens and am carrying a very heavy gimbal for it. I am seriously overweight. (baggage). I also scored a drone permit for Tanzania but will have to use it very stealthily because the lodge owners are very fearful of the drones.

Dale
Be safe and enjoy. Can't wait to see the video.

At 85 feet, you are too low to the ground.

I never do any Hyperlapses below 200 feet for that reason.

At 85 feet, you are too low to the ground.

I never do any Hyperlapses below 200 feet for that reason.
That may be the case but I feel that there are higher winds at 200 feet. I have just about given up on drone hyper lapses.

That may be the case but I feel that there are higher winds at 200 feet. I have just about given up on drone hyper lapses.

All these lightweight consumer drones wobble even in still air. If you had one of those expensive 6 rotor heavy drones maybe you could do Hyperlapses close to the ground.

You need to get up higher so the drone is further away from the objects on the ground and the wobble is not as pronounced and can be correct by stabilization

Sunset Hyperlapse over 200 feet up.

Note the sign in the lower right hand corner wobling, the only object that is wobbling in this clip because it is too close to the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato