DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wobbling again-Mini 2 Sunset Hyperlapse

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
For you old timers of the forum, you may recall my problems with sunset hyper lapses using the Mavic 2 Pro. No matter what I did, I got a wobbly clip. I even used up a DJI Refresh and got a new or refurb Mavic 2 Pro but still had the wobbles. Everyone had a different suggestion. I did everything to try to stabilize the drone, gimbal, etc. I finally gave up. So now I have the Mavic 2 mini also and today I tried another sunset hyperlapse. I set the drone up 85 feet, absolutely zero wind, and shot timed shots (149 exposures) at the minimum available of 5 second intervals. I processed my usual way for timelapses (LR Timelapse5). So here it is- 5 seconds clip with wobbles. The drone was allowed to remain in situ (e.g.: in place- 85 feet up and 3 feet away from my position). This clip has been stabilized with Warp Stabilizer twice. (Premiere Pro).

Anyone game to tell me how to correct it? Here is the 5 second clip. No music. I know about the noise. Don't bother to critique that.

Dale\Miami

I don't know if there is a way to avoid it if the drone is not moving. It seems like moving thew drone sideways or forward/backward helps.

I don't know if there is a way to avoid it if the drone is not moving. It seems like moving thew drone sideways or forward/backward helps.
Hi Dave S. Your reply was noted during my first rodeo when I tried over and over withe Mavic 2 Pro, both before and after the Refresh replacement. And I did several trials at hyperlapse sunset moving the drone very slowly so I could keep it in VLOS. Still got the wobbles. I envy those in the forum who have steady sunrise or sunset hyper lapses.

Hi Dave S. Your reply was noted during my first rodeo when I tried over and over withe Mavic 2 Pro, both before and after the Refresh replacement. And I did several trials at hyperlapse sunset moving the drone very slowly so I could keep it in VLOS. Still got the wobbles. I envy those in the forum who have steady sunrise or sunset hyper lapses.
Here it is again- (the wobbles)- (no sound). 5 second clip of drone hyperlapse with new Mavic Mini2 timed shots interval 5 seconds at 83 feet above my house and staying within about 3 feet of the take off.

I’ve never gotten anything steady out of the hyperlapse. It’s a bit counterintuitive. A drone in the air is always moving. The best I hope for is something steady enough to run Resolve’s stabilizer on it once or twice.

I’ve never gotten anything steady out of the hyperlapse. It’s a bit counterintuitive. A drone in the air is always moving. The best I hope for is something steady enough to run Resolve’s stabilizer on it once or twice.
I ran it through Warp Stabilizer in Premiere Pro twice and another program I purchased called Mercalli Sal. I am giving up on this stupid exercise.

I ran it through Warp Stabilizer in Premiere Pro twice and another program I purchased called Mercalli Sal. I am giving up on this stupid exercise.
Yeh, I get the frustration, believe me. I’ve had nothing but very disappointing results straight off the camera, and it’s still unusable after a couple exports. Do you think it’s a faulty drone and not the fact that it just bounces around? When you’re flying/filming in real time, they’re brilliantly stable. But, there’s a big difference between 1/50 of a second and 2 seconds.

Last edited:
Here it is again- (the wobbles)- (no sound). 5 second clip of drone hyperlapse with new Mavic Mini2 timed shots interval 5 seconds at 83 feet above my house and staying within about 3 feet of the take off.
Is this before the stabilization attempt? If not, can you upload the original?

Dale, I know you've struggled with stabilization for hyperlapses since day one. I've done hundreds of hyperlapses and stabilize them using Resolve. Never have I had to run stabilizer more than once. Most of my hyperlapses are straight up and hover. I posted these 2 to show that the Mavic2 Pro can produce stable hyperlapses even on windy days. These were both epic failures as the first one I missed my friends golfing and the second one I missed a ship coming into the harbor. I kept them as the wind effect on the water was interesting.

Reactions: Ty Pilot

Dale, I know you've struggled with stabilization for hyperlapses since day one. I've done hundreds of hyperlapses and stabilize them using Resolve. Never have I had to run stabilizer more than once. Most of my hyperlapses are straight up and hover. I posted these 2 to show that the Mavic2 Pro can produce stable hyperlapses even on windy days. These were both epic failures as the first one I missed my friends golfing and the second one I missed a ship coming into the harbor. I kept them as the wind effect on the water was interesting.
Those look fine. You did use stabilization of them or no?

@Dale D not sure if this site will be of any help but I have used it when I did a few hyperlapses on my old P3S a while ago and got some pretty good results. Going to try again once the weather cools off and the bugs go away!

Here's the site I used.

Chris

Is this before the stabilization attempt? If not, can you upload the original?
McFawlty:

It's like the definite of insanity- I keep trying the same thing and getting the same result. I've tried it (sunset hyperlapse) many times with the Mc 2 Pro. I sent the Mavic 2 Pro back for DJI Refresh, and the replacement MAVIC 2 Pro still wobbled on these. (The regular videos were stable). Now, with my new toy (Mavic 2 Mini) I've run into the same thing again. Wobbles. I believe that the answer is that there is not enough stability at 5 second intervals. Perhaps at 2 second intervals (not available on "timed shots") might be better. There was zero wind at 83 feet.

I am quitting further attempts at sunset and sunrise hyper lapses with any drone.

McFawlty:

It's like the definite of insanity- I keep trying the same thing and getting the same result. I've tried it (sunset hyperlapse) many times with the Mc 2 Pro. I sent the Mavic 2 Pro back for DJI Refresh, and the replacement MAVIC 2 Pro still wobbled on these. (The regular videos were stable). Now, with my new toy (Mavic 2 Mini) I've run into the same thing again. Wobbles. I believe that the answer is that there is not enough stability at 5 second intervals. Perhaps at 2 second intervals (not available on "timed shots") might be better. There was zero wind at 83 feet.

I am quitting further attempts at sunset and sunrise hyper lapses with any drone.
Dale, I've done plenty of sunrises at 5 second intervals without wobble

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Dale, I've done plenty of sunrises at 5 second intervals without wobble
Well I'd love to hear your procedure- STEP BY STEP. I am using Mini 2 , photos mode, timed shots, 5 second intervals, manual exposures, staying in one placer (85 feet above my head) for the entire sequence. I process in timelapse software.

Well I'd love to hear your procedure- STEP BY STEP. I am using Mini 2 , photos mode, timed shots, 5 second intervals, manual exposures, staying in one placer (85 feet above my head) for the entire sequence. I process in timelapse software.
I don't believe the problem lies within the procedure. I believe it's the stabilization process. I'll post a pre and post video. The first clip is not stabilized and the second is. I will still post my procedure if you like. I know you have tried many different stabilizer techniques which is why I don't understand why your hyperlapses do not get smooth.
Is your sunset video available for downloading from Vimeo? I would love to try and stabilize that one.
This is a 2 second interval, but most of my sunrise clips are 4 and 5 second intervals - with the same results.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I don't believe the problem lies within the procedure. I believe it's the stabilization process. I'll post a pre and post video. The first clip is not stabilized and the second is. I will still post my procedure if you like. I know you have tried many different stabilizer techniques which is why I don't understand why your hyperlapses do not get smooth.
Is your sunset video available for downloading from Vimeo? I would love to try and stabilize that one.
This is a 2 second interval, but most of my sunrise clips are 4 and 5 second intervals - with the same results.

It is a cool video.....is that a factory or warehouse?

Thanks for the offer. YES it is on Vimeo. Please have a go at it. I put through warp stabilization twice and once through Mercalliser software.

It is downloadable. My Vimeo account is Dale Davis,M.D.

It is the first one on the top.

Thanks for the offer. YES it is on Vimeo. Please have a go at it. I put through warp stabilization twice and once through Mercalliser software.

It is downloadable. My Vimeo account is Dale Davis,M.D.

It is the first one on the top.
I have tried sunrise hyper lapses with the Mavic 2 Pro at 5 second intervals- same wobbles. Looking forward to your try at stabilization. Also, would still appreciate your step by step list to photograph the sunrise/sunset using timed intervals in photo mode at 5 seconds. I usually do not fly the drone (e.g.: make the drone travel) during the shoot because I am in a densely treed neighborhood and cannot maintain VLOS. I have tried flying very slowly over the bay (Biscayne Bay,Miami) in tripod mode at 5 second intervals too. No matter what I do, it wobbles.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys