DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wonderful first adventure with our new M2P

Gorlash

Reactions
We took our drone out to hill, in the middle of a large field near home, to give it a real world experience. I had Beginner mode turned off for the first time, so I could run further than 100'.
It was very fun, and I got some experience with various issues that I'll have to deal with in the future, in particular the realization that at 750' distance (about the max that we ran it this time), the drone is just a *dot* in the air!! I couldn't tell which direction it was pointing at *all* ... so I got a goodly amount of experience in figuring out where it was pointing by looking at the terrain in the camera - the Galaxy Tab A 10.1 was a superb tool for this. I had an advantage in doing this, because the place where I flew is one that I know really well, having hiked there on many occasions; this would be more of a challenge in an area that was new to me... definitely needs continuing practice!

I also took it down to about 30' to get close images under the railroad bridge... definitely tricky since I couldn't actually see the drone when it got that low. I spent alot of time slowly rotating the drone around so I could watch for obstacles. The drone's obstacle warning were really cool here, because it actually showed me distance to various obstacles in the area!

Also, an Amtrak train came by at one point while I was flying, so I put the drone up to 100' and hovered there with video on. I'm including a link to the video so y'all can check it out... I was *amazed* by how steady the camera was, and this was in P mode, not Tripod mode... it looks like it is mounted on a post or something (click over to my Flickr page if you want to see the full-resolution video):

I want to thank everyone here for all of their suggestions and advice in the past couple of weeks!! You really helped me get a good start, with confidence that I could control the craft...

[image removed from reply]
hmmm... I'm not sure what I did that violated any of this? The drone was 100' up and immobile, so unlikely to have been distracting for the operator.
The place where it launched/landed was not on UP property. Perhaps it was technically 'on the tracks' because it was above them? I suppose I could have moved it to the side by 50' or so, to be clear of the tracks...

hmmm... I'm not sure what I did that violated any of this? The drone was 100' up and immobile, so unlikely to have been distracting for the operator.
The place where it launched/landed was not on UP property. Perhaps it was technically 'on the tracks' because it was above them? I suppose I could have moved it to the side by 50' or so, to be clear of the tracks...
Correct, off to one side, and therefore not over the train, also would have made an interesting video.

Reactions: Gorlash
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy