DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Won't stay connected

DanCernese

Reactions
Problem?/

The RC won't stay connected to either my phone or the drone. I started having this problem about a week ago.
Either the RC loses connection and it goes into RTH mode and/or the RC loses connection with the phone.
I also watched the phone show that USB was connected and not and connected and not.

Was unit in a crash?

This is a DJI Refresh new unit, but no, not this one. I had to use the DJI Assistant 2 on the drone to get it to the same firmware as the RC controller.

What have you tried so far?

Different cable, restarting phone, restarting controller, restarting drone. Firmware updates (involuntary).
It has done at least 2 (maybe 3) firmware updates all to the same version by itself.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)?

Samsung S9

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)?

v01.04.0500

What Go app version are you using?

DJI Go 4 latest on Android

Any modification?
(if so what)

None

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what)

There have been frequent android app updates automatically.

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)

I have some screen caps, but it just shows cycling of working, remote contoller connection, disconnected, cycling.

I set the USB device to 'file transfer' to see if that helped; but it still tries to charge my phone from the controller and I can't seem to stop that.

Maybe there's some app in the background causing trouble-- but that would not explain why the RC loses connection with the drone and goes into RTH.

I did lots of reading and put my Samsumg S9 into airplane mode. It worked better, but not perfect. I still had to restart the RC in mid flight once. ...but after that, 15 minutes with no problem. Will test again as soon as I can.. ..but I suspect the fast charging circuitry/software is also playing games (and I can't seem to turn off charging).

Try doing some flights nearby with no phone at all. See if the RC still connects and disconnects.

I'm experiencing the same problem flying my new Platinum with my IPhone 7. Constantly giving me a signal "camera disconnected" then comes back on again. Bad cable?

Which port of the controller is your phone connected to? It’s been pretty well documented that the mini USB port on the side of the controller isn’t as stable as the full size USB port in the middle under the phone cradle.

If you're losing connection to the app, but the drone is still connected to the controller - you are likely dealing with a bad cable. The stress points on the cables are fragile. I bought a 1 foot Anker cable to hook from the USB A port to my device (a Moverio)...and since that time, I have no issues. The cable has reinforced connection points, so it's less likely to break down at the connector. Timothy Sunday has a video on this on Youtube. That's where I got turned onto the cable.
EDIT: Here's the link for the video: Timothy Sunday's Video
- Gary

The OP is having RC disconnects, cable probably isnt the cause.
@45er has an issue that could be the cable, or phone.

Problem?/

The RC won't stay connected to either my phone or the drone. I started having this problem about a week ago.
Either the RC loses connection and it goes into RTH mode and/or the RC loses connection with the phone.
I also watched the phone show that USB was connected and not and connected and not.

Was unit in a crash?

This is a DJI Refresh new unit, but no, not this one. I had to use the DJI Assistant 2 on the drone to get it to the same firmware as the RC controller.

What have you tried so far?

Different cable, restarting phone, restarting controller, restarting drone. Firmware updates (involuntary).
It has done at least 2 (maybe 3) firmware updates all to the same version by itself.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)?

Samsung S9

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)?

v01.04.0500

What Go app version are you using?

DJI Go 4 latest on Android

Any modification? (if so what)

None

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what)

There have been frequent android app updates automatically.

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)

I have some screen caps, but it just shows cycling of working, remote contoller connection, disconnected, cycling.

I set the USB device to 'file transfer' to see if that helped; but it still tries to charge my phone from the controller and I can't seem to stop that.

Maybe there's some app in the background causing trouble-- but that would not explain why the RC loses connection with the drone and goes into RTH.
I was having the same issue like 3 times. I was using a cheap c usb cable. I changed to my car charger cable during the same session and it worked great with no interruptions.

The USB port on the side of the controller is quite fragile, and not a standard mini-usb socket format. The socket is rectangular and the tongue-connector is offset ... It is possible to break this connector if you plug a mini-usb plug into it the wrong way round. That would cause connection issues, but would probably also show up when charging ... If you are sure that it's OK ... Then the next step would be to buy a short connector cable to go from the standard USB2.0 socket under the fold-out arms, to whatever plugs into your phone or tablet.
I recently replaced my 'stock' usb controller cable with one of these ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07541NMT8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada