DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Worth DJI Warranty Repair?

Reactions
Hey, I was hoping you all could help me with a little problem.

So far, I'm on my second Mavic (I flew the first one into a tree, pilot error, and got it replaced with State Farm insurance money), and it has a number of defects, all of which were on the first Mavic too. I was mostly okay with it, but in this past week it suddenly got a lot worse.

Among the issues are:
1) A drunken horizon when panning sideways and yawing. Actually got kind of better around the same time the other problems got worse.
2) Jello and microvibrations if I fly without ND filters. I didn't used to get microvibrations/spasms if I flew with ND filters, but now they're happening much more commonly.
3) Random gimbal resets. I think it's caused, somehow, by my 64 GB microSD card, but it didn't give me issues for several weeks, and only now it's acting up. Haven't had it happen on a 16 GB card yet.
4) Drifting right when I try to fly forward. Sometimes it drifts left instead. It also drifts when I fly backwards, I just don't fly backwards that often.
5) Automatically (and slowly) yawing to the left whenever I finish a yaw. It seems like the drifting is way worse/more common when I fly forward while it's doing that yawing motion.

I've recalibrated the IMU and compass; I really think it's a hardware issue, since all of this was present, to one degree or another, on the first Mavic.

What I want to know is, is it worth sending it in to DJI for repair under warranty? I've heard a few good stories about reasonable turnaround times, but I've also heard a lot of horror stories about waiting months and getting back a unit that's even worse than the one that sent in (or having the drone held for ransom, like they claim it won't cost anything and then they charge you). As is, I feel fine flying it when I'm just taking photos, but trying to take any video is a frustrating experience.

If there's any suggestions about fooling with firmware, that'd be good too. So far I've tried .0400 (the most recent) and .0300. I couldn't really tell much of a difference between them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54