DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would love some input from a goggle user

go-ahead-doubledown

Reactions
I may well dispel the notion that "There is no such thing as a stupid question" I get it that the goggles offer some yaw control via head movement.What I fail to grasp is this: What are you seeing through the goggles that is not already being displayed on the phone / tablet? Thank you in advance for any reply

It’s a totally immersive experience using goggles but you should be aware to use them you need to have a spotter standing next to you so they can keep all-round observation to comply with the law, you should also be aware that if you remove the goggles whilst flying or stationary it’s possible to get easily disoriented where your drone actually is in the sky especially if there is no significant landmarks to take your bearings from.

It's not what you see, it's what you don't see. When you put the goggles on you no longer see anything outside the goggles. It is as if you are flying from in side the drone it's self. I have not yet tried to control the gimbal with the goggles but it seems as though that might make it even more immersive. The most fun I've had with the goggles so far is "taking friends for a ride". They put the goggles on and stand beside me while I fly the drone using the display. Everyone that has tried it so far has loved it. They all come away with a smile on their face.

I am new to the drone hobby but the goggles are a blast. I don't think my head can handle flying with goggles on I have had a bout with Vertigo and don't want to go there again if I can avoid it. There is so much photography equipment I would like to buy not counting the latest two Mavic drones.

I bought the Mavic Pro Platinum about six weeks before the last two Mavic were released and that has been hard to live with. I am putting that decision behind me and be grateful for what I have not what I don't have. Merry Christmas happy flying to you all.

I may well dispel the notion that "There is no such thing as a stupid question" I get it that the goggles offer some yaw control via head movement.What I fail to grasp is this: What are you seeing through the goggles that is not already being displayed on the phone / tablet? Thank you in advance for any reply

HERE is a FULL Narrated experience....
Using the Goggles for 360degree Viewing (in fact up and down as well)

Pretend ur in the Drone with Me looking outward-

The PATH was on a fixed safe path on Litchi - but Im turning the drone as it follows the route.
WHERE I WANT TO LOOK - I can LOOK !!!
… That's why the Goggles are the BEST !

in the YouTube Front Page Pic below you will see the "Fence" is the Litchi Mission - so My flying was Previously tested as safe - before I flew the SAME route - but this time Looking around....
Watch at Highest HD that you Can -

Last edited:
HERE is a FULL Narrated experience....
Using the Goggles for 360degree Viewing (in fact up and down as well)

Pretend ur in the Drone with Me looking outward-

The PATH was on a fixed safe path on Litchi - but Im turning the drone as it follows the route.
WHERE I WANT TO LOOK - I can LOOK !!!
… That's why the Goggles are the BEST !

in the YouTube Front Page Pic below you will see the "Fence" is the Litchi Mission - so My flying was Previously tested as safe - before I flew the SAME route - but this time Looking around....
Watch at Highest HD that you Can -
I have not flown much with my goggles yet - just testing - but in that video when you looked around, I assume the AC rotated as the gimble won't do that, but did the goggles make the AC rotate AND continue to fly in the same direction as it was going, OR were you doing that? Rather smooth if you did it!

Hi Rockowe, Very impressive flight! Thank you for sharing it with us. What AC/Camera were you using? Standard or RE goggles? Thanks for your time.

Thank you, was Having fun...
… Ok That was Using my Previous Mavic pro 1 Platinum
… with the white goggles -

The goggles were great - if 'line of sight' to the drone up to around 2km away

I assume the AC rotated as the gimble won't do that, but did the goggles make the AC rotate AND continue to fly in the same direction as it was going, OR were you doing that? Rather smooth if you did it!

Control inside a Litchi Mission - (Free direction Viewing)
Two methods are available - Both Goggles And RC can turn Left + Right.
… in the video its Just the goggles using the Full Rotation and flight mode.
(Note you need some practise with this to NOT find yrself endlessly rotating - so Small Movements - Left and right)

However optionally...
...the RC Joysticks - IN a Mission - work when set to USER control (in settings)
you could use the Leftside Joystick - whilst in a Litchi mission - The ONLY function it has there is to turn Left and Right - (Up/DOwn are disabled as the drone sticks to the altitude in the mission)
Then the RHS joysticks operate FWD and BACK - to move along yr mission Path faster or slower or reverse - ALONG THE MISSION PATH - (so its safe to trust it)

In rotation the Entire aircraft will rotate for viewing - yet keep true to the mission path.

The above becomes intuitive but if you get nervous- Practise as follows.
1) Before Starting the mission set settting speed to Zero or very small fwd movement - walking speed, …. AND Flight direction to USER .
2)Start the mission - Note that if you set yr cruise speed to 0 - you will need to push the RH Joystick Fwd - all the time to keep going -
3)Switch on the goggles and Set the Viewing controls to select Free movement of airtcraft.
4)Once done - TEST and Practise your viewing angle. (While the drone is still - ie rh stick centred)
5)Ok now, that uv got it - push your RH stick Forward - and the drone will travel on yr fixed path (I call it Racetrack) - and look around. Practise going backwards too

Hope this Explains it well

Last edited:
Reactions: Gut Stuff
I should have indicated in my previous post on this topic I have only flown with Fatshark Dominator goggles connected to a converted phantom 1.5 and whilst they give an extremely immersive experience, all my latter drones are flown without goggles which is now my preference for several reasons firstly I can fly without anyone else being present, and secondly I can personally keep my eyes on the drone with all round observation without relying on some else’s judgement, should the need ever arise to take evasive action, this was confirmed only this year when a irresponsible motorised hang glider pilot came sweeping along the valley with his feet brushing the grass, then hopping just over the hedges and back to the ground again, I watched this pilots action until it was out of sight, whilst luckily my MPP was on the ground at the time for a battery change, if this had occurred whilst flying with goggles I feel my reaction could have been too slow to avoid a incident, whilst it could be said it was the pilot of motorised hang gliders fault for being reckless and irresponsible for flying so low, it’s not the sort of thing our hobby needs right now and safety is the keyword, whilst I expect some goggle user may well disagree but just remember you as a drone pilot are personaly in charge and responsible.

Reactions: Rich55
I don't disagree, but.......
If you are flying an ultralight and a helicopter descends on you from the rear, are you required to have a ground observer to warn you, since you can't see it. And no, there is no heliport in the area.
There are lots of scenarios one can equate to flying a drone FPV that create the same non-aware situations that are not regulated. The NPS, after more than 2 years, is still trying to make one believe that drones scare animals more than Harleys cruising thru the parks, but appear to want to refuse making reasonable new use regulations. Just ban them entirely. That is a perfect policy -- to make people more likely to break a rule that seems to be promulgated by ignorant people.
We humans are our own worst enemy. AND we are going to prove it by destroying this Earth.

Reactions: Paulf10
hey, just wanted to throw in my .02 ... maybe you know someone who can benefit from the info as i have...

i have no use of my left arm..it can be a pita flying with a controller that is not setup for just me to use...the RE goggles make it possible for my head to be the yaw control ... so if im at an altitude that i know i just need to clear obstacles in a horizontal plane...then that leaves my right hand to only fly the right stick and i use my head to steer the bird...
this is at a slow pace of course. the RC helicopters that i build and fly i do so with a mouth control and rudder knob that i designed and machined..so rc choppers is really easy by comparison. flying the drone with finesse and control is proving to be super super challenging...the goggles aid me in a manner that is irreplaceable.
i could customize and make parts for the mavic controller but i did not want to if not necessary...the goggles make that possible...

the goggles do add the challenge of spacial awareness..i need a spotter...ive used lots of other goggles but these are the best ive every used..hands down. i had to get used to judging distance with the goggles on...without my so spotting for me, i would have crashed it many times over. but ive gotten pretty good at it. now and can fly it under and between things with 2 to 3 inches to spare...at a slow controlled pace of course ..not balls out.

sharing the experience with friends is really easy and cool as hell.. the only thing i dont like is them resting on the bridge of my nose.but thats my problem really.

battery life on mine has been really good...panos are cool as hell. i have had no issues at all .. got em for 390.00 from a guy who did not like them..imagine that

i just wish i could be sure they would work with a phantom 4 pro (non2.0) yaw control wise..but dji seems to be retarded with the info they are putting out and then i find one bit of info that says yes then another that says no they wont work right...so im kinda stuck.and i still cant figure out how to use a cylindrical antenna with the re goggles LOL

I am new to the drone hobby but the goggles are a blast. I don't think my head can handle flying with goggles on I have had a bout with Vertigo and don't want to go there again if I can avoid it. There is so much photography equipment I would like to buy not counting the latest two Mavic drones.

I bought the Mavic Pro Platinum about six weeks before the last two Mavic were released and that has been hard to live with. I am putting that decision behind me and be grateful for what I have not what I don't have. Merry Christmas happy flying to you all.

This could very well be my post. Every word of it

Reactions: Rich55
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54