DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you buy a bigger Mavic?

dcb942

Reactions
If a version of the mavic came out with a large sensor camera, like on the phantom 4 pro, would you buy it? Obviously it would be a bit larger. I know some people bought the mavic for the portability but I also just like the look of the drone. I am not a fan of the phantom body style, it looks like something out of super Mario (no offense), I just really like the dark stealth look. I hope DJI sees the demand for the mavic and starts pursuing a variety of different mavic models.

Reactions: NOLA-J
If a version of the mavic came out with a large sensor camera, like on the phantom 4 pro, would you buy it? Obviously it would be a bit larger. I know some people bought the mavic for the portability but I also just like the look of the drone. I am not a fan of the phantom body style, it looks like something out of super Mario (no offense), I just really like the dark stealth look. I hope DJI sees the demand for the mavic and starts pursuing a variety of different mavic models.
Do a search on here for P3 MAVIC..

sorry on Phantom pilots.. Transform Phantom 3 to Mavic..

Reactions: dbeamer and NOLA-J
Do a search on here for P3 MAVIC..
I saw that just this morning. That's a pretty cool design and hopefully that do that for the P4P but at the cost of these drones I'd only buy one from DJI. Very cool idea though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I saw that just this morning. That's a pretty cool design and hopefully that do that for the P4P but at the cost of these drones I'd only buy one from DJI. Very cool idea though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Yes i know what you mean...but Cool....

If scaled a little bit bigger to encompass a slightly bigger/better camera, sensors for the sides and back, and a battery that will last a solid 35 minutes. Oh, and add a useable clear camera cover with less light flare for photography (and light crashes/weather).

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Here it is:

Nope I would not buy a larger Mavic. One of the great things about it is the size.

Rob

It doesn't need to be larger. I just needs longer legs and a format change to fit the larger sensor camera.

Would I buy it? Probably not. What we need isn't a larger Mavic. We need a Phantom Pro in a better form factor than the horribly impractical for transport current design.

For me it depends on how much bigger, I would take a slight increase in size (assuming it is still foldable and can fit in a backpack or camera bag) in exchange for a better camera. I don't think it would take much of an increase in size to add the better camera. The videos shown modifying a phantom to be more like the Mavic are great but the hard truth is the kit doesn't exist yet (says they are working on it). Even when it is released it will likely take a bit of work and knowledge of soldering/electronics to remove all the components from a Phantom to use in the new kit and I think a lot of people are not going to want to hack up their Phantom to try it although I am sure there are some that will. Then again maybe a company will pop up that will sell already modified Phantoms (or clones of the Phantom).

Reactions: ZALEXANDERK
Here it is:

Nope I would not buy a larger Mavic. One of the great things about it is the size.

Rob
In reality I have to think the same miniaturization technology that produced the Mavic as an evolution of the 4K video/photo drone will result in a smaller package for the full frame 20mp sensor so the Mavic would not have to grow in size, probably just price! While we're at reinventing the MP let's add the 5 way obstacle sensors, solar cells on top of the flight batteries and a water landing option as an add on package.....

While we're at reinventing the MP let's add the 5 way obstacle sensors, solar cells on top of the flight batteries and a water landing option as an add on package.....
Agreed with all of these. I know the solar cells would not be able to power the Mavic or keep the batteries charged but they would at least extend flight time by not allowing the batteries to discharge as fast.

Agreed with all of these. I know the solar cells would not be able to power the Mavic or keep the batteries charged but they would at least extend flight time by not allowing the batteries to discharge as fast.

I don't think they would make a difference really. Just add weight and drag which would offset any additional charge they offer.

I think the next iteration of Phantom will be a foldable version offering more flight time, robust gimbal and camera. It may even make the Mavic's spec seem like a toy.

I don't think they would make a difference really. Just add weight and drag which would offset any additional charge they offer.

The new SunPower cells are incredibly light ,low profile and currently the most efficient at 22% efficiency. Just the idea you could put the batteries on the dashboard while driving to would help a little. I have these on my boat and they power everything.

I would love a larger sensor, but that comes with a larger lens, and with that unavoidably a larger and heavier gimbal. I don't believe such a drone could be close to as compact as the Mavic 1 is.

I'm fine with the battery capacity. You would need a larger battery to compensate for the heavier camera assembly anway.

Some good points in this thread. That conversion kit only makes the P3 "foldable" like the Mavic. It doesn't make the P3 into a Mavic as the P3 doesn't have the same functionality of the Mavic.

IF DJI produced a foldable P4P like the Mavic and it took up the same proportional space, I'd buy it. For me, that would mean I wouldn't need my Mavic anymore or my P4. The Mavic purchase for me was to be able to fit a drone in a "top box" on my motorcycle that didn't take up the entire box leaving room for camping gear and other necessities. Portability was the number one reason I bought the Mavic...

I don't see where it needs to get any larger.... I would love to see longer battery life and camera improvements. Most tech items get smaller and lighter over time and so battery life naturally lengthens and this could help offset camera weight in the very near future.

I don't see where it needs to get any larger.... I would love to see longer battery life and camera improvements. Most tech items get smaller and lighter over time and so battery life naturally lengthens and this could help offset camera weight in the very near future.
Just thinking to accommodate extra sensors larger camera etc....but yes in time perhaps they will develop smaller parts to fit....Anyway I would Just like my Mavic MK 1 delivered...lol.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock