DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you buy a Mini 5 Pro with a more fragile gimbal with upgraded 1 inch sensor?

Droning on and on...

Reactions
More gedanken... Where to go next in the Mini line? For me, with 4Pro in hand, and not caring much about automation bells and whistles, I was thinking about this.

What would compel me to open the wallet again? One thing would be cramming a current state-of-the-art 1 inch sensor into the pup with vastly improved low-light and noise characteristics, especially in DNG and DLOG formats.

But how? Where to take out the weight? One possibility is the camera housing and gimbal structure. Redesign it to be made out of Carbon Fiber, or some very light and strong plastic.

For the sake of this discussion, assume it makes the camera/gimbal not-insignificantly more subject to damage in any collision. The threshold for what sort of a smack it would take without damage would be lower.

And Care Refresh a bit more expensive.

Would this be enough to upgrade? It would for me 😁

Discuss. And nobody get all verklempt. (shameless oldster cultural reference)

Count me in...the 1"sensor [if you can call it a true 1"] on my Sony RX100 vii produces fabulous images. Better than a phone sensor any day...

For the sake of this discussion, assume it makes the camera/gimbal not-insignificantly more subject to damage in any collision. The threshold for what sort of a smack it would take without damage would be lower.
Any gimbal is fragile, but a gimbal for a larger, heavier camera has to be more robust than one for a smaller camera.

More gedanken... Where to go next in the Mini line? For me, with 4Pro in hand, and not caring much about automation bells and whistles, I was thinking about this.

What would compel me to open the wallet again? One thing would be cramming a current state-of-the-art 1 inch sensor into the pup with vastly improved low-light and noise characteristics, especially in DNG and DLOG formats.

But how? Where to take out the weight? One possibility is the camera housing and gimbal structure. Redesign it to be made out of Carbon Fiber, or some very light and strong plastic.

And Care Refresh a bit more expensive.

Would this be enough to upgrade? It would for me 😁

Discuss. And nobody get all verklempt. (shameless oldster cultural reference)
I would purchase a one inch sensor mini. Sub 250 grams doesn’t mean anything to me. A slightly heavier mini with a good upgrade would open my wallet again.
With my m4p I always shoot my stills in 48 intstead of 12 for the little bit of sharpness but takes up iPad space. 1” sensor please.

A mini with the camera of the Air2S would be fine, but the thing is there's no much difference between a <900g M3 or a <250g Mini, in the end the bag is almost the same size and legislation is a crap no mater what drone you pick.

I'd only consider a <250g for beginners or if you are backpacking and photography is a secondary thing, but if you want the best image quality, ease of use, portability and flight performance then the M3 is the way to go.

To be clear, the whole point is to keep it under 250g, which is a big deal in the US. Hence the gimbal discussion.

If they can slap a "standard" 1" design on there and take the weight out somewhere else, that would be an option too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nkbran white