DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wrap your MM?

Has anyone wrapped their Mini to improve visibility? Would you reccomend?
What color is the easiest to see in most lighting conditions?
i did mine in shiny yellow as my MPP has shiny orange both are good for visibility and as you yaw round the sun glints off them

Reactions: Rockcrawler
Pick a color you can easily find if the drone is crashed... everyone crashes or has emergency landings in odd spots eventually.
I have noticed that beyond about 200’... maybe 250’ the color of my wrap on a larger drone (M2P) is not visible... it’s just a dark shape in the sky with flashing lights. This may be the case at lower distance on a smaller drone.

keep in mind that the wrapping will bring you over 250g - and different legal restrictions might become effective for your flight.

Has anyone wrapped their Mini to improve visibility? Would you reccomend?
What color is the easiest to see in most lighting conditions?
For a solid color wrap, I like the fluorescent colors - pick the one you like...I prefer neon red or orange.

Having said that, I agree with another post which says that beyond a certain range, any color looks black. This is because as the drone moves further away, it because becomes a smaller portion of the "view", compared to the bright sky, the effect of which is to "underexpose" the drone.

I applied red (and blur) chrome vinyl wrap to the landing gear extensions of my Mavic Air. This works very well on a sunny day; as the geometry of the sun, drone, and observer change, you see the sun reflecting off of the chrome, and that REALLY stands out! If you lose sight of the drone against the sky, you can just reorient the drone (yaw) to induce a reflection of the sun. Remember that when you apply the reflective wrap to the irregular surface of the gear extensions, you are creating many reflective surfaces at different angles.

Strobes can be very effective even in daytime. I suggest a single Firehouse ARC2 4 LED strobe, mounted pointing down. I have both white and red, but if I had to choose only one, the white would be my choice.

Here is my latest covering. I changed from a light grey cover to this brighter color for visibility. I fly in areas with dark background, trees. New skin combustion2.jpg
I checked it out yesterday and it suits me well. Enjoy your flying.

ADMIN: PLEASE DELETE MY BLANK RESPONSE FROM SUNDAY - IT WAS CREATED IN ERROR.

ADMIN: PLEASE DELETE MY BLANK RESPONSE FROM SUNDAY - IT WAS CREATED IN ERROR.
No sweat, thought you were bumping the thread ;)
I actually added another "art" accessory to my MM. My sister-in-law created this art work to compliment my MM. I will happily add it to my MM shelf. Enjoy your flying and posting.
MM with Debbie art1.jpg

Pick a color you can easily find if the drone is crashed... everyone crashes or has emergency landings in odd spots eventually.
I have noticed that beyond about 200’... maybe 250’ the color of my wrap on a larger drone (M2P) is not visible... it’s just a dark shape in the sky with flashing lights. This may be the case at lower distance on a smaller drone.

Yes, I always laugh at some of the cheap Chinese camouflage wraps. Who wants their drone looking like Realtree, if it just force landed, or worse.

How difficult is it to wrap the Mini? I am a novice btw... Do you have to disassemble the drone?

It is very easy, all that helps is a blow dryer, to soften up the vinyl. Perhaps some tweezers, and an Xacto knife.

No disassembly at all.

I have a comm’l heat gun, that I would NOT recommend. It will melt the Mavic faster than one can imagine.

IMG_3703.JPGIMG_3704.JPGIMG_3705.JPG

Got home last night to my first drone, the mini, and my wrapgrade wraps. Seeing as there is no chance of a maiden flight with the weather where I am, I thought I’d get the wrapping done.

Went on so easy and I have zero experience. The material is very nice, soft almost rubberised feel and very strong adhesive that holds round all of the edges and joins.

I went with the copper full body wrap and replaced the correct pieces with a bumpy black camo accent set. Not the cheapest by a long shot, but well worth it in my opinion!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki