DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yeah... Don't fly a Mavic Mini in strong wind lol.

Nothing to do with US regs here Dan, as far as I'm aware the average hobbyist doesn't have the systems to unlock anything either.
You can get into the NOTAMS and local field thing, but most don't have to.

As mentioned, while we have the red total NFZs / approach / departure areas etc, where you virtually can't even spin the props, in these uncontrolled airport / heliport orange zones, you can fly to our legal 120m, but must land if you become aware of manned aircraft operations.
My focus was on DJI zones. Please re-read my last post in that context. If you look at OP's first post, you'll see he ended up in a DJI blue authorization zone, not a red restricted zone.
Normally anyone with a DJI account can self-unlock a DJI blue authorization zone. Unfortunately that's not yet available for the Mini.

And yes LAANC is available to hobbyists.

Maybe the OPs mini autolanded due to loss of signal, low power, or other such ?
It seems odd he states it was blown into some sort of restricted airspace, when there is none shown on our app map.
If you look at the OP's first post, you'll see he ended up in a DJI blue authorization zone. DJI typically applies authorization zones to airport runway approach paths, even if the airport is in G airspace.

Normally the AC would hover at the border of an unlocked zone, but because the AC was uncontrollably blown into the locked zone, the AC landed.

If you look at the OP's first post, you'll see he ended up in a DJI blue authorization zone. DJI typically applies authorization zones to airport runway approach paths, even if the airport is in G airspace.

Normally the AC would hover at the border of an unlocked zone, but because the AC was uncontrollably blown into the locked zone, the AC landed.

Oh yes sorry, forgot he posted a DJI screenshot.
Still, what are DJI thinking about when overriding our air authorities airspace zoning, with what it thinks is needed ?

And yes LAANC is available to hobbyists.

Isn't LAANC a US FAA system ?

Yes, but even runway approaches for small airports pose a risk. Is making an approach for small airports as authorization zones overreaching? Maybe. But then FAA saying I can't fly even 100ft at my house which is over 4 miles away from the airport also seems overreaching to me.

Since we're no longer required by FAA and even discouraged to contact airports so this protection could be warranted so that novices don't fly right into a plane taking off or landing.

You could email [email protected] and ask them why they made approach paths at G space airports as authorization zones, as far away as 5 miles from the airport.

In the OP's case, it was actually a blessing it was there.

Hmm, the Flysafe map is interesting, found the web based map, not sure I see it on an app anywhere, and these aren't on the maps normally on Go4 etc ?
DJI definitely plays it safer than CASA.

I've never flown near an airport like that, so good to know if I ever need to check those approach / departure routes to be safer.
By the time you hear a light aircraft, you might not have much time, so avoiding the main thoroughfares is a good idea.

Still not sure if LAANC has any relevance here, ie if it's a DJI thing rather than FAA.
It would be good to unlock certain places to ensure safety if needed.

Map on Go app does show at least authorization and restricted zones but it also optionally shows FAA airspace classes. I haven't paid attention but map on Fly should show it too. After all, it appears on OP's screenshot of his flight.

You are correct, getting LAANC approval does not unlock DJI zones. DJI was approved as a LAANC provider so some day the two will be directly linked.
DJI does tend to correlate it's zones in controlled airspace with FAA facilities map, particularly DJI's grey altitude restriction zones.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Oh yeah, lesson learned, going higher will 99% of the time (allowing for the inevitable rule variation) always take you into higher wind speed.

@Cappydrone, OpenSky (Airservices Australia supply info) needs to pick up their game on the mapping, as you see in the link post 11, the Heli pad is shown active, but like most heliports, uncontrolled and likely rarely used (medical emergency like car accidents ?).

I'm confused about the restricted airspace parts of your posts though.

The uncontrolled airspace is ok to fly in (whether Kempsey or old heli), you can fly to 120m, and just land if you become aware of manned aircraft activity.
As seen in the map link, Kempsey uncontrolled airspace is already over that spot and home point, going north doesn't take you into anything as far as the OpenSky info, in fact you are heading out towards the outer part of the zone.

Is there some sort of other local unmarked NFZ not showing on OpenSky ?
I'm thinking military or other such sensitive area ?

It does seem strange for it to auto land otherwise.

View attachment 88292
Yeah not sure of the correct term but if you look at my original screenshot it's the blue area. It's a geo fence in the dji software, approaching it it tells you to turn around, if you don't or are unable to like I wasn't able to it auto lands.

Tbh in this case it actually saved my mavic mini. It was at that point I lost all RC signal, the mini was unable to rth, had it not been forced to auto land I never would have gotten it back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d