DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yes the FAA does contact you

KenB714

Reactions
So I got contacted by the FAA because "they received a complaint that one of my YT videos showed flight beyond VLOS". Someone actually ratted me out for flying over empty countryside. Ironically the purpose of the video was showing how to use the laanc system and unlocking dji geo zones. We're all flying quad copters with fancy cameras peeps, not piloting UAVs. What a scam. I will be talking to them next week for my stern warning (hopefully) but the realization of what this hobby actually is.....is quite disappointing. ?

Someone said... "Oh that would never happen."
Like to hear more of this story.

So I got contacted by the FAA because "they received a complaint that one of my YT videos showed flight beyond VLOS". Someone actually ratted me out for flying over empty countryside. Ironically the purpose of the video was showing how to use the laanc system and unlocking dji geo zones. We're all flying quad copters with fancy cameras peeps, not piloting UAVs. What a scam. I will be talking to them next week for my stern warning (hopefully) but the realization of what this hobby actually is.....is quite disappointing. ?
So you broke an aviation safety law and will just get reminded of the safety laws. That seems like a fair outcome.

There are very very good reasons for requiring VLOS at all times.

Ultimately it would seem sensible that if you're going to break the law, don't put the evidence up on youtube?

Broke 1 of 4, therefore tip 5 applies. @6:34

Reactions: PHZ
Thank you for posting and good warning to all. The FAA apparently has nothing better to do than watch you tube videos looking to hassle hobby drone flyers. Think how much worse it will be when Remote ID begins. Then you may be getting notices to appear in court in Washington DC based on a flight recorded five years ago without your knowledge.

So you broke an aviation safety law and will just get reminded of the safety laws. That seems like a fair outcome.

Ultimately it would seem sensible that if you're going to break the law, don't put the evidence up on youtube?
Yes I agree with everything you said. My bad for not looking deeper into the definition of VLOS. I got caught up in all the hype and the tech. It doesn't help that there are 100s of vids out there showing the same violation. I'm pissed at myself not the feds. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes I agree with everything you said. My bad for not looking deeper into the definition of VLOS. I got caught up in all the hype and the tech. It doesn't help that there are 100s of vids out there showing the same violation. I'm pissed at myself not the feds. Thanks for the feedback.
It's not a worry, we all do things and that is why there is a system in place. That is why the comment above doesn't apply. The FAA isn't setting there scrounging the YouTube to find videos and nab offenders. It got a report and it MUST follow up. So the issue is why? Who can and why the report is filed. Normally it is the YouTube community that started this "Shoot down my competition" strategy. Then you just have those "Karen's" of the world with nothing better to do. As the video I posted above states, 99.9% of all interactions with the FAA are a "Stop that" and warnings for safety...it is only when one repeats and disregards the FAA that issues will expound...be safe, fly smart..post smarter :p

Thank you for posting and good warning to all. The FAA apparently has nothing better to do than watch you tube videos looking to hassle hobby drone flyers. Think how much worse it will be when Remote ID begins. Then you may be getting notices to appear in court in Washington DC based on a flight recorded five years ago without your knowledge.
The FAA does not "watch you tube videos looking to hassle hobby drone flyers." They only do that if there is a complaint.

And RID does not have any forensic capabilities. That is one of the benefits of having the broadcast vs. wifi transmission style of RID. Once you turn off your motors, that entire flight is no longer available to see.

No one is going to get notices to appear anywhere. You need to be better educated on the realities of what RID is.

The FAA has a three prong approach to violations. Educate first, formal education second, and punitive last.

But it's just like being pulled over for speeding by a cop. You may just get a warning if you're nice about it, but if you're a jerk about it, they can (& will) find everything wrong with your car and give you more citations.

Be humble and willing to work with the FAA, and it will be no big deal. Be a jerk about it (for instances saying "What a scam") and they will take it further. If you flew BVLOS, fess up, apologize, and learn. It's that simple.

And then don't fly BVLOS again.

It seems that whenever a new drone comes out, I see many YouTube videos of people testing the range of the drone/controller under various conditions. Most, if not all, of these must go well beyond VLOS. I wonder if the FAA Is going to go after all of those?? Should keep them pretty busy. ?

It's not a worry, we all do things and that is why there is a system in place. That is why the comment above doesn't apply. The FAA isn't setting there scrounging the YouTube to find videos and nab offenders. It got a report and it MUST follow up. So the issue is why? Who can and why the report is filed. Normally it is the YouTube community that started this "Shoot down my competition" strategy. Then you just have those "Karen's" of the world with nothing better to do. As the video I posted above states, 99.9% of all interactions with the FAA are a "Stop that" and warnings for safety...it is only when one repeats and disregards the FAA that issues will expound...be safe, fly smart..post smarter :p
Bearing in mind I haven't actually had the conversation with them at this point, they sent this rather nice explanation of their position. Be a jerk with them and it wont end well. Pretty straightforward.

Attachments

• 508 Compliant Compliance Philosophy Brochure.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 74

VLOS is a gray area. My VLOS may not be what someone with pristine eyesight can see.

Yet, esp with very small drones - like the Mini and even the Air2 - VLOS depending on many factors - you know like lighting conditions and such - changes all the time. The person flying the drone does not have to keep VLOS - sometimes hard to do when looking at video screen to see what you're capturing on video or pics and then looking back up to "find" the drone out there in the wild blue yonder - if there are spotters. Who is to say he / she did not have SPOTTERS to keep a VLOS on the drone? That's why I like to go with other droners, as when I'm flying - they can spot and when they are flying I can spot.

Unless the "FAA reporter" has some kind of video / pic of him being ALONE - it's a he said / he said game. Could simply be a pissed off land owner who wants to make trouble - lots of them around.

Reactions: ResistanceFlyer
It seems that whenever a new drone comes out, I see many YouTube videos of people testing the range of the drone/controller under various conditions. Most, if not all, of these must go well beyond VLOS. I wonder if the FAA Is going to go after all of those?? Should keep them pretty busy. ?
I must have watched 50 of those exact videos prior to spending the money. The first time I saw "VLOS" I thought great! I've got a perfect line-of-sight for 2 miles out. Would have been great if the FAA drone zone would have had some big red letters like "MUST MAINTAIN EYE CONTACT AT ALL TIMES". Could have saved some $. Not blaming anybody except myself.

VLOS is a gray area. My VLOS may not be what someone with pristine eyesight can see.

Yet, esp with very small drones - like the Mini and even the Air2 - VLOS depending on many factors - you know like lighting conditions and such - changes all the time. The person flying the drone does not have to keep VLOS - sometimes hard to do when looking at video screen to see what you're capturing on video or pics and then looking back up to "find" the drone out there in the wild blue yonder - if there are spotters. Who is to say he / she did not have SPOTTERS to keep a VLOS on the drone? That's why I like to go with other droners, as when I'm flying - they can spot and when they are flying I can spot.

Unless the "FAA reporter" has some kind of video / pic of him being ALONE - it's a he said / he said game. Could simply be a pissed off land owner who wants to make trouble - lots of them around.
VLOS is not really gray... Can you see it w/o visual aid other than eyeglasses? .... IF so... it’s in VLOS

Drone pilots need to realize that there are enough "drone haters" out there that the FAA does not need to watch Youtube. Our culture today has many that find joy in reporting you to the authorities. It makes them feel special, relevant, a justice warrior. It gives their otherwise irrelevant life power and authority. They're out there.

Its not a grey area at all.

If you can see it, unaided to the extent you'd be able to detect, notice, and avoid potential hazards and conflicts its VLOS.
The whole intent is you retain full situational awareness around the drone to avoid conflicts.
If not, you're not operating safely.

And yes VLOS does change depending on lighting conditions, weather conditions, drone type, eyesight.

As for "spotters":
The VO must be near the operator and be able to communicate verbally without the assistance of an electronic device.

Cant be used to extend range.
They're mainly useful to make the use of FPV goggles legal in some countries (uk for example) where single person operation would be illegal.

Realistically, if he's flying a mile away and its a mavic theres no way in hell theres VLOS.

Does FAA still (or really ever) require spotter to be within auditory range without aid of audio equipment other than hearing corrective equipment (hearing aid)?

EDIT: NM. Last post just appeared as I was writing this.

Billy could be next but supposedly he has a spotter.

VLOS is not really gray... Can you see it w/o visual aid other than eyeglasses? .... IF so... it’s in VLOS
There's more to it than that. Check out FAR 107.31:

§107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:
(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.
(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:
(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or
(2) A visual observer.

You might be able to see your drone, but if it's just a speck in the distance and you can't tell what direction your drone is pointed by using only your naked eye, then you are in violation of 107.31(a)(2).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J