DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yesterday's incident- and prop changing tips

Good post, Skiproiii. I'm a big advocate of hand launch/recovery, too. My technique resembles yours closely. I recover from the stern, though. My strobe is back there, right on the trailing edge of the battery and it helps with more surface area to grasp.

However, a recent event has tempered my enthusiasm for hand ops. A last-second gust of wind just as I was catching my Mini 3 ripped the aircraft from my grasp and with a snarl from the props unlike any I've ever heard, it nearly recovered, landing upright in a nearby ditch in foot-deep grass. No damage, other than to my self-righteous hand launch opinions.

Pain narrowly averted. Lesson learned. Wind is unpredictable and those props are nasty.

Of course, danger lurks everywhere, especially with devices that have fast-spinning, sharp bits. Like table saws. Or immersion blenders. Or lawn mowers.

We can't eliminate dangers, but we can be aware of them and take appropriate measures. I'm gonna look for a pair of substantial mechanic's gloves. The catching hand could probably use the insurance.

Reactions: mandilorian6
Interesting for learning for sure. Wonder how much it would effect the flight dynamics?

At 4g, it puts M3Pro into >250g class though.

Glove and long sleeve shirt may be just as effective training safety gear!

Good post, Skiproiii. I'm a big advocate of hand launch/recovery, too. My technique resembles yours closely. I recover from the stern, though. My strobe is back there, right on the trailing edge of the battery and it helps with more surface area to grasp.

However, a recent event has tempered my enthusiasm for hand ops. A last-second gust of wind just as I was catching my Mini 3 ripped the aircraft from my grasp and with a snarl from the props unlike any I've ever heard, it nearly recovered, landing upright in a nearby ditch in foot-deep grass. No damage, other than to my self-righteous hand launch opinions.

Pain narrowly averted. Lesson learned. Wind is unpredictable and those props are nasty.

Of course, danger lurks everywhere, especially with devices that have fast-spinning, sharp bits. Like table saws. Or immersion blenders. Or lawn mowers.

We can't eliminate dangers, but we can be aware of them and take appropriate measures. I'm gonna look for a pair of substantial mechanic's gloves. The catching hand could probably use the insurance.
Yikes! Glad it worked out for you and dronie!

Highlights staying upwind and hovering above head level as a must to minimize risk, if a pilot is going to use this method! For the windy days too, it just adds more to the risk when you are close to the drone!

Gusts are an issue with landing on pads too, just as the motors commit to the landing, they seem to come at the worst possible time… But the risk is just to the aircraft fortunately.

Good point Lazerbrains that pilots are responsible to know their aircraft take off weight to be in compliance with the laws. Adding the plus battery would also put M3Pro over the <249.

I use wife’s kitchen scale. Take off weight for my Mini 2 is 244g. My M3Pro is heavier 247.4g with card (the take off weight for me)BB5F8FB4-259F-4F01-AE43-79BB488DD804.jpeg

Reactions: Lazerbrains
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent