DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yet another bad news story for our hobby

Finally the facts are in. It's been confirmed that shady Russian hackers have now unlocked the full potential of the common plastic shopping bag, with reckless operators now causing havoc at airports around Britain. A government spokesperson has called for immediate draconian legislation to address the crisis. 1499307899997.jpg

Sorry if my response appeared pedantic.
Your link cited a report carried out on the effects of bird strikes on aircraft, detailing types of birds, and the effects that birds of different weights and differing closing speeds would have on the air frame of a plane. It did state that various control surfaces were not specifically itemised, but concentrated on how levels of acceptable speeds relative to bird strikes of various size and weight could affect the integrity of the planes construction in order to comply with certification. There was no mention of anything other than bird strikes. My contention was that a drone of the same weight would have a greater mass for its size and that impact damage of a metal bodied drone would have more serious implications.
I'm really not trying to pick a fight, but find it difficult to understand how others fail to consider the degree of danger their drone has on general aviation. Governments and international bodies are able to restrict or ban the use of drones, they can't ban birds!

Reactions: AyeYo
What I absolutely do not understand is why would anyone want to fly their drone near an airport? I just don't get it. Airports are not scenic, its asphalt and planes.

Its just dumb in every regard.

Stated that stupid or illegal behaviours must be be avoided, if a big airplane is seriously damaged each time is hit by an object whose weight is 0.7Kg (a duck weights double), there should be a documented (and long time story) of plane accidents, caused by "single" birds... and not only by bird flocks.

There IS a long documented history of aircraft damage caused by single birds. I've personally seen the results of several of them, including a swan which completely trashed the engine of a 737, to the cost of several million dollars, requiring an emergency landing. In the world of aviation, where safety is paramount, such things are taken very seriously and you won't hear people saying "well, it's all ok and we'll just ignore it because hey, the airplane didn't actually crash as a result".

Last edited:
Reactions: AyeYo and rydfree
Who is more familiar in the environment...certificated airplane pilots with years of training and hundreds to thousands of hours of flight time, or some hobbyist who thinks a drone makes them an aviator?

What's potentially more dangerous...A certificated airplane pilot with years of training and hundreds to thousands of hours of flight time flying an aircraft weighing thousands of pounds with hundreds or thousands of liters of combustible payload (i.e. fuel) or some hobbyist who thinks a drone (weighing at most a dozen kilos with no combustible materials on board) makes them an aviator??????

Reactions: CoolBreeze
An irresponsible drone hobbyist, every time.

What's potentially more dangerous...A certificated airplane pilot with years of training and hundreds to thousands of hours of flight time flying an aircraft weighing thousands of pounds with hundreds or thousands of liters of combustible payload (i.e. fuel) or some hobbyist who thinks a drone (weighing at most a dozen kilos with no combustible materials on board) makes them an aviator??????

Context is important, and so is knowledge.
Birds don't want to die and have centuries of evolution that have enabled them to avoid large, noisy, easy to see airplanes.
I mentioned three strikes, I have had hundreds of near misses where the bird(s) extricated themselves rather than dying.

"centuries of evolution", huh ?

Powered flight only began just over 100 years ago and it wasn't until less than 70 years ago that there were large numbers of aircraft in the air for birds to start avoiding. There hasn't be enough time for evolution to have had any significant impact on how good birds are at avoiding aircraft.

"centuries of evolution", huh ?

Powered flight only began just over 100 years ago and it wasn't until less than 70 years ago that there were large numbers of aircraft in the air for birds to start avoiding. There hasn't be enough time for evolution to have had any significant impact on how good birds are at avoiding aircraft.

Birds have had centuries to develop their advance flying skills. Whether used to avoid other objects in the sky, capture prey or avoid being captured, they're really good at it, and the skills are the same.

Unless I feel particularly motivated this will be my last reply to this thread.

In the scale of evolution the hobbyist drone has come a long way in a very short period of time. Aviation has been considered a viable mode of transport for over one hundred years. Making similes in evolutionary terms is a great game to play but mostly makes for amusing nonsense. The point is birds are here to stay as is commercial and private aviation.

Drone technology will continue to develop, particularly in the commercial market. However, domestic users will be targeted for irresponsible behaviour which will affect the vast majority that fly sympathetically within current rules, regs, guidelines and legislation. I would love to rely on punitive measures in the current codes of practice for those few that flout the rules, and are punished accordingly. At the current ever increasing rate of domestic market drone sales and the continued malpractice of the ill informed, I fear the numbers of those flagrantly breaking the boundaries of acceptable behaviour will increase in the same scale. I don't think the relevant authorities will have the resources to isolate the culprits and to bring them to justice, so something will have to be done and that will be restrictive use or no use at all.

Some of the arguments put forward in defence of those breaking current codes of practice are ludicrous, blaming everything and everybody but themselves. I read somewhere, possibly in this thread, that DJI are spoiling our enjoyment by introducing NFZ architecture that severely restricts our drones, and that they will never buy another DJI product again. Does he/she really believe that DJI want to do this to stop people from buying their product? No, they're trying to work with the authorities so their sales will continue to grow. They have had to do this because of the numbskulls that think only about themselves and not about the safety issues that currently exist nor the continued future enjoyment of the majority of reasoned owners.

DJI have developed some incredible products, truly amazing. The software development has been buggy; my android goapp crashes regularly and I'm not happy about it. But if all the necessary pre flight checks have been made and the settings in the app figured out correctly, the hardware design is almost fool proof. The mavic will stop what it's doing and return to home with a mind boggling degree of accuracy if the fundamental understanding of how the aircraft works and how it should be set up pre flight, and what you should do if things don't go according to plan. Unless of course you didn't set your minimum altitudes or check the compass was showing high degrees of interference at start up or you turned obstacle avoidance off or you didn't gauge the wind or you etc.........
I'm sure that won't put people off flying with no checks and laying blame elsewhere. I'm not saying all probelms are operator inflicted, but the vast majority are.
Sermon on the mount over. Out.

Reactions: Mavic 57 and AyeYo
Birds have have about 15,000,000 decades to get used to dodging other things moving at a few tens of miles an hour. They have had 7 decades to get used to dodging things moving at a few hundreds of miles an hour.

Reactions: 787steve
This industry needs to look at what the electronic cigarette industry has went through and try to find some takeaways that will help us avoid that kind of end-result.. Misinformation and outright lies have all but turned the general public against the electronic cigarette.

Unless I feel particularly motivated this will be my last reply to this thread.

In the scale of evolution the hobbyist drone has come a long way in a very short period of time. Aviation has been considered a viable mode of transport for over one hundred years. Making similes in evolutionary terms is a great game to play but mostly makes for amusing nonsense. The point is birds are here to stay as is commercial and private aviation.

Drone technology will continue to develop, particularly in the commercial market. However, domestic users will be targeted for irresponsible behaviour which will affect the vast majority that fly sympathetically within current rules, regs, guidelines and legislation. I would love to rely on punitive measures in the current codes of practice for those few that flout the rules, and are punished accordingly. At the current ever increasing rate of domestic market drone sales and the continued malpractice of the ill informed, I fear the numbers of those flagrantly breaking the boundaries of acceptable behaviour will increase in the same scale. I don't think the relevant authorities will have the resources to isolate the culprits and to bring them to justice, so something will have to be done and that will be restrictive use or no use at all.

Some of the arguments put forward in defence of those breaking current codes of practice are ludicrous, blaming everything and everybody but themselves. I read somewhere, possibly in this thread, that DJI are spoiling our enjoyment by introducing NFZ architecture that severely restricts our drones, and that they will never buy another DJI product again. Does he/she really believe that DJI want to do this to stop people from buying their product? No, they're trying to work with the authorities so their sales will continue to grow. They have had to do this because of the numbskulls that think only about themselves and not about the safety issues that currently exist nor the continued future enjoyment of the majority of reasoned owners.

DJI have developed some incredible products, truly amazing. The software development has been buggy; my android goapp crashes regularly and I'm not happy about it. But if all the necessary pre flight checks have been made and the settings in the app figured out correctly, the hardware design is almost fool proof. The mavic will stop what it's doing and return to home with a mind boggling degree of accuracy if the fundamental understanding of how the aircraft works and how it should be set up pre flight, and what you should do if things don't go according to plan. Unless of course you didn't set your minimum altitudes or check the compass was showing high degrees of interference at start up or you turned obstacle avoidance off or you didn't gauge the wind or you etc.........
I'm sure that won't put people off flying with no checks and laying blame elsewhere. I'm not saying all probelms are operator inflicted, but the vast majority are.
Sermon on the mount over. Out.

Nicely worded and definitely some very valid points!
However my questions go unanswered!!!

Why is it that some members think any report of a drone causing disruption to air traffic is not grave cause for concern and lay blame elsewhere? This story should be of serious concern to anyone in respect of both air travel safety and the future for drone hobbyists. Anyone with an axe to grind in the lobby to get drones banned would have a field day reading some of the reactions within this forum, confirming the irresponsibility of the few.

Because, especially on this Mavic forum with lots of newb owners and people that never really flew RC, a great number are irresponsible fliers themselves.

Rick....Please tell me how many serious injuries and/or deaths have been attributed to hobbyists flying drones when compared with certificated airplane pilots...

Not many, because drones cheap and easy enough for any untrained, unpracticed, clueless idiot to fly have only existed for a few years. Give it some more time and a moron will take down an airliner or cause some other serious incident and then you can kiss your hobby goodbye. OR we can start forcing people to act responsibly BEFORE that happens and maybe you'll still have a hope of legally owning drones at all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev