DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

You can now fly your DJI drone using the Google airmaps app

black_magic100

Reactions
Not sure if this has been posted or not, but I frequent this sub relatively often and have not seen it on here yet. Link to a video:

Apparently you can use Google airmaps to fly your dji drone. I'm not sure how useful this is, but I guess the idea is that it makes it easier to track when you are about to enter restricted airspace? Let me know your thoughts. I'm curious to try this out.

Reactions: jculp99
Not sure if this has been posted or not, but I frequent this sub relatively often and have not seen it on here yet. Link to a video:

Apparently you can use Google airmaps to fly your dji drone. I'm not sure how useful this is, but I guess the idea is that it makes it easier to track when you are about to enter restricted airspace? Let me know your thoughts. I'm curious to try this out.

What makes you think AirMap is owned by Google? As far as I can tell it isn’t. Microsoft and a few other companies are investors but not Google.

What makes you think AirMap is owned by Google? As far as I can tell it isn’t. Microsoft and a few other companies are investors but not Google.
I'm pretty sure it's called "Google Airmaps". Maybe I am mistaken though.

I'd rather have Google involved than Microsoft. They both have our info anyway, so why worry?

Isn't Airmap one of the companies the FAA chose to roll out LAANC? Supposedly, LAANC will give instant access to restricted airspace for Part 107 pilots when you are flying Low Altitudes in what is otherwise restricted airspace. This is as opposed to requesting permission through the FAA

Isn't Airmap one of the companies the FAA chose to roll out LAANC? Supposedly, LAANC will give instant access to restricted airspace for Part 107 pilots when you are flying Low Altitudes in what is otherwise restricted airspace. This is as opposed to requesting permission through the FAA
I have no idea, but that would be awesome. We need an easier way for pilots to notify ATC's as well. Whenever I call I get bounced around between 5-6 employees.

Any other features like Waypoint missions? Doesn't seem to be worth trying if it doesn't. With the exception of the flight restriction information. But doesn't the DJI App have that too?

Any other features like Waypoint missions? Doesn't seem to be worth trying if it doesn't. With the exception of the flight restriction information. But doesn't the DJI App have that too?
I don't think DJI shows flight restrictions on their map. I know they have no fly zones, but to my knowledge you can't see when you are about to enter a different airspace.

I'm personally not going to use this because I usually know the landscape and can tell when I am approaching different airspace, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

:)
Is this a new airmap ? I don’t think airmap is a new product. I’ve used it for quite awhile now:)
Dizzy,
What do you think of the app?
I haven't watched the YouTube yet, but I'd love an app that works well with Android so I don't have to use the buggy DJI GO-4 app.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiparoch
I do t know about everyone else but there is no way in hell I’d be flying my $1000 drone on anything that isn’t created and approved by DJI. I can’t tell you how many times I see a post involving a fly away or crash and in the explanation the pilot was using 3rd party programs to fly. Here’s your sign.

I don't think DJI shows flight restrictions on their map. I know they have no fly zones, but to my knowledge you can't see when you are about to enter a different airspace.

I'm personally not going to use this because I usually know the landscape and can tell when I am approaching different airspace, but I thought it was worth pointing out.
DJI Go 4 app does show restrictive areas around all the type of airports! You can even reset those 5 mile circles if you want...

Reactions: JohnnyJ
I do t know about everyone else but there is no way in **** I’d be flying my $1000 drone on anything that isn’t created and approved by DJI. I can’t tell you how many times I see a post involving a fly away or crash and in the explanation the pilot was using 3rd party programs to fly. Here’s your sign.
[emoji23]

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000