Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

You can't fly your drone here

You can't fly your drone here.

Why not?

- It's not allowed
- We have a policy against it
- There is an ordinance against it
- You can put someone's eye out with that thing (thanks to my mom for this one. It covers a lot of items)
- It could drop out of the sky and hurt someone (emergency rooms are on alert)
- You might hit an airplane
- It's a privacy violation
- It makes too much noise
- You're in a National Park
- You're in a National Historic Park (Excuse me. I stand corrected)
- It scares the wildlife
- It interferes with the power lines
- It intercepts phone calls
- Someone might shoot it down
- You have to wait an hour after you eat
- Solar eclipse
- Lunar eclipse

I think that about covers it.

Mavic 2 Pro. It's a camera
How about, "isn't Homeland Security worried about that thing?" Actually got that question once. I haven't had any knocks on my door so far. :/

Why not?

- It's not allowed
- You can put someone's eye out with that thing (thanks to my mom for this one. It covers a lot of items)
- It scares the wildlife
- Solar eclipse
- Lunar eclipse

How do I know you did not put a bomb on it? (real question a couple of weeks ago)

This is all true, but conversely:

-You're female? Fly wherever you like! Can you take a pic of my kids???

Apparently, women are never criminals.

I also had an odd one recently where my remote controller had developed a fault and would not connect to the phone. (DJI has now fixed the RC free of charge). I had lots of people very curious about the drone, and when I explained I couldn't get it flying I got the same response over and over:

'Hmm, you must be too far away from the radio mast, I bet *wise nod*.'

What radio mast? Apparently, it's common knowledge that drones are controlled by some central drone tower somewhere. And to think I was foolish enough to think I was flying this thing...

This is all true, but conversely:

-You're female? Fly wherever you like! Can you take a pic of my kids???

Apparently, women are never criminals.

I also had an odd one recently where my remote controller had developed a fault and would not connect to the phone. (DJI has now fixed the RC free of charge). I had lots of people very curious about the drone, and when I explained I couldn't get it flying I got the same response over and over:

'Hmm, you must be too far away from the radio mast, I bet *wise nod*.'

What radio mast? Apparently, it's common knowledge that drones are controlled by some central drone tower somewhere. And to think I was foolish enough to think I was flying this thing...

Side effect of hyper-specialization. People who are completely capable of figuring out how things work aren't interested. They make assumptions based on the cursory knowledge they've received (cell phones connect to towers, your Mavic uses a cell phone as a display and UI, therefore the aircraft requires a cellular connection). That's good enough for them. And of course there are the professionals who intentionally obfuscate to keep their stature in their respective industry, and that doesn't help either.

Sad, because we're in the golden age of self directed learning and discovery. Thanks to people putting everything online we're able to spend a trivial amount of time finding out how everything works. Unfortunately most of the people who explore the Internet for knowledge are the extreme minority. Probably about the same as people who used to frequent the public library.

That’s too funny (and true). . .

My neighbor's hate drones and think every drone they see in the area is piloted by me

Live less than 1.5 miles from 2 airports that helos depart and arrive at 300 or less.

Your drone makes my dog bark.
Buy a muzzle

Your drone was following my kids home from school.
I will tell my drone you kids can't play outside today

Your drone was on my property at 0200 taking pictures of me.
Did you take a picture of the drone?
No it was too dark
Exactly

So many thing with people just being ignorant to drones. Good thing the local PD and sheriff's Dept have brains.

So I carried my drone from Miami to Zambia-no problem at all with customs- never inspected anything, but I got to my riverside lodge (across the river is a national park) I was told no drones, scare the wildlife, encourages the poachers, etc. Not even permission from the lodge owner to hover directly over the lodge out of the park to photograph the lodge. I put it away in my room. I am not going to a Zambezian (?spelling) police department or worse for that image.

Secret to unmolested flying is the following.
1) Don't do anything endangering to the public... use logic and your brains.
2) Don't tell anyone you have a drone, especially the local police.
3) Don't let anyone you don't know see you fly
4) Scope the area you are going to fly before you fly, find a safe secluded spot to set a return to home waypoint, must be different to your takeoff point.
5) Fly early in the morning (Great sunrises) - best time for no one else to be around.
6) After taking off gain altitude rapidly - higher the drone the smaller it is to spot or hear. (<400ft of course.)
7) If while you are flying, you see anyone simply hit the return to home function and put the controller in your pocket.
8) Return to your vehicle and leave the area, dropping by the RTH spot previously programmed to pickup your drone.

Experience of living in 4 different countries has taught me while individual people are great... the general public and anyone in authority simply are not worth the hassle of dealing with, they won't listen and want to make trouble. I've been flying for more than 20 years, both drones, heli's and planes and have never had any issues with the public or authorities.
They can't have a problem with that which they don't see.

Secret to unmolested flying is the following.
1) Don't do anything endangering to the public... use logic and your brains.
2) Don't tell anyone you have a drone, especially the local police.
3) Don't let anyone you don't know see you fly
4) Scope the area you are going to fly before you fly, find a safe secluded spot to set a return to home waypoint, must be different to your takeoff point.
5) Fly early in the morning (Great sunrises) - best time for no one else to be around.
6) After taking off gain altitude rapidly - higher the drone the smaller it is to spot or hear. (<400ft of course.)
7) If while you are flying, you see anyone simply hit the return to home function and put the controller in your pocket.
8) Return to your vehicle and leave the area, dropping by the RTH spot previously programmed to pickup your drone.

Experience of living in 4 different countries has taught me while individual people are great... the general public and anyone in authority simply are not worth the hassle of dealing with, they won't listen and want to make trouble. I've been flying for more than 20 years, both drones, heli's and planes and have never had any issues with the public or authorities.
They can't have a problem with that which they don't see.

Regarding item number two of this educational and informative list.
My local police sergeant flies a Mavic Air and has it in the back of his police car.
So not all law enforcement are ignorant.

Regarding item number two of this educational and informative list.
My local police sergeant flies a Mavic Air and has it in the back of his police car.
So not all law enforcement are ignorant.

Why not?

- It's not allowed
- It scares the wildlife
- Solar eclipse
- Lunar eclipse

sure, you can’t fly in a National Park but in many of them you can ride ATVs , snowmobiles, you can hunt deer or moose, you can drive a boat on a lake or river, and none of these harras the wildlife. “Not”.. I have flown over wildlife in other areas and have never seen a moose, deer, rabbit, etc run when they looked up at my drone. They just looked up then went back to grazing. Guess they were bored. Thanks Uncle Sam.

Simple, governments want control of the skies, they don't trust the general public and concerns over any threats. I just gave up and sold all my birds as I didn't need the BS from our gov to the uneducated brainwashed citizens believe everything their gov tells them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143