DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Zoom Functionality is a sliding scale!

Have you confirmed this is the approach DJI is using? The Air 2 is capable of 8k, which means, if implemented (and I don't know what DJI did), you could 2x Zoom 4K and not lose anything, and not need to create any pixels. Its clear DJI has some concerns with processing 8k on-drone as it is only available in Hyperlapse, but perhaps a cropped 8k, works. The Evo II with the same sensor supports 8K video, but only up to 25FPS, so it is doable, but seems to be pushing the edge. With only half the image though, it can alleviate any processing (or write speed) concerns.

I think what you're saying here is true. I've been playing with screen shots from the normal 4K video and the new 4K zoom at 2x. I believe the MA2 is leveraging the quad bayer sensor much in the same way it does to deliver 48MP photos. I can't take the normal 4K video or screen shots in post and reproduce the clarity I'm getting from the 4K zoom. As for creating pixels, I don't think that's necessary with a sensor like this. It stands to reason that if they're offering 48MP, they're leveraging this sensor to do something similar with the zoom. The cost with this method is a loss of dynamic range. However, when zooming, you usually end up with a pretty even spread of light across the shot anyway because you're eliminating so much around the subject. It's inferior to an optical zoom, but it is technically a lossless zoom up to a point and if you disregard the loss of dynamic range as well. Even if I'm wrong about all this, what I'm seeing on my screen and what I'm working with in post is amazing. I did not expect something like this from the MA2, what a bonus from DJI.

Here's a quick dolly zoom I did yesterday using the gimbal wheel to control the zoom. I flew until I exhausted the 4K 2x zoom range. I've done this with the Mavic Mini in post but it's pretty cool to create something like this while flying.

Here's another example. Shoot an 8K Hyperlapse and look at the individual photos on the SD card. They are 7680 x 4320. That is an 8K photo and that's how this chip pulls off 4K @ 2x zoom without showing any loss barring some dynamic range.

8K.JPG

Reactions: Adgej123
Has anyone tried zooming in for a hyperlapse? This is what I'm interested in I couldn't figure out how to do it but now someone said you can actually zoom in with holding down the function button and using the gimbal wheel so it might possibly work?

Has anyone tried zooming in for a hyperlapse? This is what I'm interested in I couldn't figure out how to do it but now someone said you can actually zoom in with holding down the function button and using the gimbal wheel so it might possibly work?
Don’t know about hyperlapse, but fn + wheel to zoom is correct & demonstrated in numerous videos

I think what you're saying here is true. I've been playing with screen shots from the normal 4K video and the new 4K zoom at 2x. I believe the MA2 is leveraging the quad bayer sensor much in the same way it does to deliver 48MP photos. I can't take the normal 4K video or screen shots in post and reproduce the clarity I'm getting from the 4K zoom. As for creating pixels, I don't think that's necessary with a sensor like this. It stands to reason that if they're offering 48MP, they're leveraging this sensor to do something similar with the zoom. The cost with this method is a loss of dynamic range. However, when zooming, you usually end up with a pretty even spread of light across the shot anyway because you're eliminating so much around the subject. It's inferior to an optical zoom, but it is technically a lossless zoom up to a point and if you disregard the loss of dynamic range as well. Even if I'm wrong about all this, what I'm seeing on my screen and what I'm working with in post is amazing. I did not expect something like this from the MA2, what a bonus from DJI.

Here's a quick dolly zoom I did yesterday using the gimbal wheel to control the zoom. I flew until I exhausted the 4K 2x zoom range. I've done this with the Mavic Mini in post but it's pretty cool to create something like this while flying.

Really cool effect, how would I achieve this? Apologies not very fluent at all in photography or videography.

Really cool effect, how would I achieve this? Apologies not very fluent at all in photography or videography.

What InvisibleName said. I flew backwards in Tripod mode and slowly zoomed in at the same time. It took a few attempts to get the zoom speed and the flight speed to match up well enough but it's not too hard. The more distance between the objects up close and the objects in the background, the more pronounced the effect becomes.

What InvisibleName said. I flew backwards in Tripod mode and slowly zoomed in at the same time. It took a few attempts to get the zoom speed and the flight speed to match up well enough but it's not too hard. The more distance between the objects up close and the objects in the background, the more pronounced the effect becomes.

Nice one both of you. Will have a play ? not often I feel this, but actually feel like I got more than my moneys worth with this baby.

Reactions: InvisibleName
Wow.. My head hurts from reading some of this thread. I'm just gonna go to the park and have some fun flying my drone! ?.

Wow.. My head hurts from reading some of this thread. I'm just gonna go to the park and have some fun flying my drone! ?.

Yup, the bottom line is it's a fantastic drone and the zoom feature was an unexpected bonus. No matter how it works, it looks amazing and I think we all ended up with the most drone per dollar out there today.

I get a kick out of the people who complain about everything. The zoom features are fantastic new options. You forget that 95% or more of the people who use drones for photography are not professionals. We are just average people who like creative photography of our homes and places we like to go. The 4k and 1080p zoom has more than enough quality for 95% of us. Stop telling us why you won't use it. We don't care.

How do you set up the zoom with the f1 button.

There’s not much to do. Pick which zoom mode you want in the camera settings, (4K, 2.7k or 1080p) and that’s it. No special mappings or setting changes after that. The Fn button will switch the gimbal wheel into a zoom wheel as long as the button is held down.

Reactions: Rchawks
I hope they add zoom feature to stills also, I’m sure they already can but I hope they do

I think I read somewhere that if you want to zoom for a photo then you could switch to video, zoom as required and then switch back to photo. The zoomed view stays as-is. A bit clunky but if it works (might try it tomorrow) it might be a handy work-around.

Reactions: Rchawks
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman