DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Zoom lens for mapping missions

TechTerrae

Reactions
Hi, I have to map a site in a problematic neighborhood, with potential damage to my aircraft. I was wondering if I could set the zoom lens parameters in pix4d for flying the mission taking 7x zoom images. I need a detailed orthomosaic for analysis so I would have to fly too low for using the wide lens, this wouldn't work in this neighborhood. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

You will need to fly higher and most likely have issues with pixelated images.

I understand, but would the processing be possible? I don't care about pixelated images if I can get closer with the zoom lens.

I understand, but would the processing be possible? I don't care about pixelated images if I can get closer with the zoom lens.
Hi, I have to map a site in a problematic neighborhood, with potential damage to my aircraft. I was wondering if I could set the zoom lens parameters in pix4d for flying the mission taking 7x zoom images. I need a detailed orthomosaic for analysis so I would have to fly too low for using the wide lens, this wouldn't work in this neighborhood. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!
You could ask Pix4D or try it and see.
How big is the area you need to map?
If just a small area, perhaps if Pix4D won't handle it, you could shoot manually (with good overlaps and have someone try to process in Metashape.

You could ask Pix4D or try it and see.
How big is the area you need to map?
If just a small area, perhaps if Pix4D won't handle it, you could shoot manually (with good overlaps and have someone try to process in Metashape.
The area is not big, a couple of acres, I was thinking of flying manually. My doubt was if the software (metashape,pix4d, others) would be able to recognize the focal length and specific camera parameters for processing.

I don’t know your mapping and modeling experience so if anything I say sounds a bit 101 level I apologize.

As a rule of thumb you are almost always better off using the default wide angle focal length for mapping. For the Mavik3E you have a 4/3 sensor, 24mm focal length on the “wide” camera, and you of course set your own AGL altitude. This platform can achieve 1-3cm GSD at hundreds of feet in altitude. The only time a sensor is really adjustable for mapping is using a system that has swappable lenses so you can get a fixed focal length while having a higher magnification. This would be on sensor platforms like the P1 or the X5.

Some things to consider… when mapping the map and the point cloud/mesh is only a representation of the overall project but your real quality comes in the individual photos if you have to inspect things in greater detail. With the 20MP 4/3 sensor and proper exposure you can draw out incredible detail even from a few hundred feet up when inspecting the original photo.

I would not recommend flying manually. Manual flights are good for filling in certain blanks and details in a mission but you will never achieve the true consistent overlaps and flight profile if you fly manually. You can, for instance, fly your mapping mission at 200 feet and then add orbits around key objects or buildings to help improve the resolution of that area or capture additional photos for further inspection later.

Reactions: Mike@Dragonfly

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada