DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Zoom v's standard

Will_UK

Reactions
Hi, can anyone post any pictures taken with the Mavic 3 taken from the same spot, one with standard lens and one taken with the zoom lens please?

Just wanting to see if I should pay the extra money and get the 3 rather than the classic.

Thank you.

Here's some taken with the m43 lens and with the 7X optical from the same spot each time. I was just experimenting so nothing great about images but it should give you an idea of the difference between the two cameras and the perspective difference. All images are straight out of the camera with no post processing done other than converting the original DNGs to low res JPEGs for posting.

FWIW, I love the 7X optical lens as it gives me so much more opportunity to experiment with perspective which is impossible to get from the wide-angle lens.

Chris

View attachment M3-0468.jpg

M3-0469.jpg

View attachment M3-0516.jpg

M3-0517.jpg

For some reason some of the images above are displayed and some you need to click the link (at least on my computer). There should be two pairs of 4 images total.

Chris

For some reason some of the images above are displayed and some you need to click the link (at least on my computer). There should be two pairs of 4 images total.

Chris
Yes, only the 7x versions show as images. The 1x versions require clicking on the "View attachment" text links. I downloaded them and tried reposting them for you to avoid that, and it did the same thing to me, too!

Last edited:
Hi, can anyone post any pictures taken with the Mavic 3 taken from the same spot, one with standard lens and one taken with the zoom lens please?
There is no zoom lens, it's a separate camera with a fixed focal length telephoto lens.
But here are a number of image pairs to help compare the wide and tele cameras of the Mavic 3.

Those are untouched files straight from the camera- just shot to show the difference between the two cameras.
To see some examples of the quality that can be obtained with the tele camera, here are some that were shot with proper exposure and lighting with the aim of getting good results:

Last edited:
I think this is the example OP is asking for - two images of Mt. St. Helens from the west side of Vancouver Lake. Not taken from exactly the same spot (less than 200' apart same day) but both of St. Helens with the first using the 24mm lens:

MSH24.jpg

And a second at 162mm (7x):

MSH162.jpg

They are two very different sensors when it comes to the color mapping.

Thanks Everyone,

That 7x telephoto lens is amazing - think you all just made my mind up!
Check www.DroneNerds.com to get the Mavic 3 with the 7x telephoto lens for mere pennies more than the stripped down Mavic 3 Classic!

They have the DJI Refurbished Mavic 3 in stock, as well as the DJI Refurbished Mavic 3 Combo Kit.
Only $1749 and same 1 year DJI warranty as new, along with Refresh available too!

Last edited:
Reactions: Will_UK

Just wanting to see if I should pay the extra money and get the 3 rather than the classic.

Thank you.
Again and again...!
For years.
DJI Mavic 3 has NO ZOOM lens!
It has 1 wide angle and 1 tele lens.
That's all.
Defining it zoom is a blatant falsehood.
It's a statement, which almost everyone likes to parrot, it is a marketing operation that deceives the naive ignorant user who knows little or nothing about photography and optics.
The mirror of these times!
A digital zoom, even if somehow a little more elaborate inside the software-hardware, is always a poor digital mess, it's not and never will be, with this type of technology, an optical zoom, a true zoom (without loss of resolution/definition and quality), using the whoole photographic sensor for the all focal lenghts of its optical range, of the optical glass.

And then there are persons who don't know what zoom means and confuse "zoom" with "tele" (telephoto) and say zoom instead of tele...!
Moreover here in DJI, but not only here, good Chinese engineers are poorly familiar with the English language, they lull themselves with Chinese, discuss in Chinese, reason in Chinese, sometimes confuse the meanings of English words, international standards, or alter them, thus creating an infinite Babel.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS Coast
There is no zoom lens, it's a separate camera with a fixed focal length telephoto lens.
But here are a number of image pairs to help compare the wide and tele cameras of the Mavic 3.

Those are untouched files straight from the camera- just shot to show the difference between the two cameras.
To see some examples of the quality that can be obtained with the tele camera, here are some that were shot with proper exposure and lighting with the aim of getting good results:
Excellent examples of the usefulness of the 7x

Again and again...!
For years.
DJI Mavic 3 has NO ZOOM lens!
It has 1 wide angle and 1 tele lens.
That's all.
Defining it zoom is a blatant falsehood.
It's a statement, which almost everyone likes to parrot, it is a marketing operation that deceives the naive ignorant user who knows little or nothing about photography and optics.
The mirror of these times!
A digital zoom, even if somehow a little more elaborate inside the software-hardware, is always a poor digital mess, it's not and never will be, with this type of technology, an optical zoom, a true zoom (without loss of resolution/definition and quality), using the whoole photographic sensor for the all focal lenghts of its optical range, of the optical glass.
Or it's simply misusing terms without a relevant understanding of the differences. Not sure it identifies such a user as being ignorant of the differences between the results generated by the two lenses.

Or it's simply misusing terms without a relevant understanding of the differences. Not sure it identifies such a user as being ignorant of the differences between the results generated by the two lenses.
Yeah, and before reading you, I have added other considerations to my initial comment, please read it.

I think this is the example OP is asking for - two images of Mt. St. Helens from the west side of Vancouver Lake. Not taken from exactly the same spot (less than 200' apart same day) but both of St. Helens with the first using the 24mm lens:

View attachment 162136

And a second at 162mm (7x):

View attachment 162137

They are two very different sensors when it comes to the color mapping.
Well, that’s pretty convincing! Thank you.

IMHO the 7x lens is THE reason to get the Mavic 3. It was "fixed" a long time ago and now creates wonderful, reasonably sharp images that don't really even need much post processing but a few moments in LRoom or PShop can really make them pop. MaxE's example is a great example of what can be done. The local mountains are often so big and so close I can't even use it and have to rely on the explore mode which is itself quite a nice help. Anyone that enjoys photography and videography (kinda everyone here...) and can afford it should opt for the Mav3 with the tele.

And then there are persons who don't know what zoom means and confuse "zoom" with "tele" (telephoto) and say zoom instead of tele...!
This is the biggest problem. It can only be remedied by education, which all of us who understand the distinction, continuously attempt to do. However, each new poster needs to be re-educated. Patience and understanding, while clarifying, are key.

Try my video, where I compare different zoom and tele steps (7x+ is the tele lens):

ScreenshotVideo1.jpg

Results now might be even better after the lens was "fixed".

Last edited:
Reactions: Will_UK
Here's a snippet of some 7x video I took showing the parallax the lens can generate
Mav3 7x camera

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada