DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

“Shock cooling” (or really just cooling) battery question

Maviac

Reactions
I should know this, and I suspect the answer is “don’t do it.” But I thought I’d throw it out to the experts.

I try to treat my batteries very well. Before I realized they’d automatically not charge if they were too warm, I always waited at least an hour after flying to charge to make sure they were cool enough, and actually I still hold off until I’m comfortable they are cool.

But: Is it bad for the batteries to quickly cool them after flight so I can charge them quicker? For example, is there a problem with throwing them in a cold cooler (making sure there’s no leaking liquid, of course) to cool them down so I can start charging them sooner? Again, my assumption is that this would not be good for them, but I’m not an expert on battery physics. If this were ok, I could get a few more recharge/flight cycles in.

Reactions: Former Member
You have to worry about creating condensation doing that.

Yeah, I thought about that, and excellent point. But assuming the cooling isn’t too extreme, is there an inherent problem with (relatively) quickly cooling a Li battery? I will say during cold weather I tend to leave my batteries outside to cool down quicker. Is this a problem?

I would think if there were a problem caused by quickly cooling a battery folks flying in cold climates would be mentioning it.

I would think if there were a problem caused by quickly cooling a battery folks flying in cold climates would be mentioning it.
I thought about this too. I’m in GA so we are rarely lower than the 30s (and far higher most of the year) but others who are flying in cooler climates may have experience with this. Again, it doesn’t “seem” like a good idea, but I’m not sure there is a physical problem with the battery to do it (aside from moisture issues, which is a fair concern).

when the battery is powering the drone it will get hot as the charge is being drawn from it and lipos have been known to ignite if they get extremely hot they only need to cool to room temp before they are recharged it is unusual to want to charge them straight after use you should have several batts if you want to fly for long periods extremes of temp are not good for lipos be it heat or cold

when the battery is powering the drone it will get hot as the charge is being drawn from it and lipos have been known to ignite if they get extremely hot they only need to cool to room temp before they are recharged it is unusual to want to charge them straight after use you should have several batts if you want to fly for long periods extremes of temp are not good for lipos be it heat or cold

Yes, I understand all of that that very well. My question is whether there is a danger in quickly reducing the battery’s temperature. I do have several batteries and am not trying to charge them straight after use (as I noted in my initial comment), but I’m wondering if cooling them to let me charge them slightly sooner is a problem.

Just FYI, I decided to do my own test on this subject.

Yesterday, I started out in the house with the battery at 76°. Outside temp was 25°. After 3 minutes of flight time, battery was 78°. After 10 minutes flight time, battery was 76°.

Your mileage may vary.

Outside temperature = 25°f/-4c
Started at 100% charge with battery in the house = 76°f/24°c
After 3 minutes flight time 78°f/26°c
After 10 minutes flight time 76°f/24°c

Yes, I understand all of that that very well. My question is whether there is a danger in quickly reducing the battery’s temperature. I do have several batteries and am not trying to charge them straight after use (as I noted in my initial comment), but I’m wondering if cooling them to let me charge them slightly sooner is a problem.
define slightly sooner than what

Just FYI, I decided to do my own test on this subject.

Yesterday, I started out in the house with the battery at 76°. Outside temp was 25°. After 3 minutes of flight time, battery was 78°. After 10 minutes flight time, battery was 76°.

Your mileage may vary.

Outside temperature = 25°f/-4c
Started at 100% charge with battery in the house = 76°f/24°c
After 3 minutes flight time 78°f/26°c
After 10 minutes flight time 76°f/24°c

Is this a MP or M2P? I’ll fly in the morning and report the numbers but the battery gets a lot hotter in my Air.

Edit: I’m going by memory but I remember typical battery temps being 140-150F back in December.

I normally wait an hour, and 2 if possible, before charging.
as long as they are not hot to the touch they should be fine how long it takes depends on the air temp as i said before if it was sunny you would not leave them in the sun before or after use

Yeah man! Dont go out and spend that hard earned money until you figure out what youre going to be using it for!
good advice Thud but none of us take it we just want the latest and greatest to see what we are missing

as long as they are not hot to the touch they should be fine how long it takes depends on the air temp as i said before if it was sunny you would not leave them in the sun before or after use

I think internal temperature is the important issue, not whether they are warm to the touch. I just want to extend my battery life as much as possible while getting the optimum use out of them. Thus my question. I am not leaving my batteries sitting in the sun, or doing anything else inappropriate with them, as far as I know.

I think internal temperature is the important issue, not whether they are warm to the touch. I just want to extend my battery life as much as possible while getting the optimum use out of them. Thus my question. I am not leaving my batteries sitting in the sun, or doing anything else inappropriate with them, as far as I know.

Batteries are the most vulnerable part of rapid temperature decrease. If the batteries survive, or are immune to the temperature change, the rest of the drone will be fine.

The term "shock cooling" is usually used to describe the rapid decrease in temperature to the engine caused by opening of cowl flaps on a recip engine. My Mavic didnt come with cowl flaps :(

Batteries are the most vulnerable part of rapid temperature decrease. If the batteries survive, or are immune to the temperature change, the rest of the drone will be fine.

The term "shock cooling" is usually used to describe the rapid decrease in temperature to the engine caused by opening of cowl flaps on a recip engine. My Mavic didnt come with cowl flaps :(

I know, I’m a private pilot, and have flown planes where this is an issue, which is why I put the phrase in quotes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat