DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

“Shock cooling” (or really just cooling) battery question

I know, I’m a private pilot, and have flown planes where this is an issue, which is why I put the phrase in quotes.

Thats a good point, though. Maybe on a Mavic, the battery isnt too effected by the temp drop, but there are other components that might be. On private aircraft, pitot tube icing, wing icing, carburetor icing are all of major concern when flying IFR or in many other conditions.

You are reinforcing what I have come to believe is true. General and commercial aviation pilots make great drone pilots because they are more prone to reading the instructions, are more prudent in flight operations, and are more accustomed to having and using checklists than the novice drone owner who is experiencing his/her first venture into aviation with a drone.

Last edited:
good advice Thud but none of us take it we just want the latest and greatest to see what we are missing

This is a good point and I won’t say I’m not guilty of it (being a gadget guy) but I also use it for business and the Air’s range is somewhat of a concern, plus I’d like a better camera if I’m producing product for others, as I’d like to do. Of course, as TD mentioned, a range extender could solve one of those problems for far cheaper than an M2P. But right now, I’m running into disconnection issues well within VLOS. Anything between 1500-2000 ft in town and I lose signal. And I need to be comfortable in that range for what I do.

Reactions: old man mavic
This is a good point and I won’t say I’m not guilty of it (being a gadget guy) but I also use it for business and the Air’s range is somewhat of a concern, plus I’d like a better camera if I’m producing product for others, as I’d like to do. Of course, as TD mentioned, a range extender could solve one of those problems for far cheaper than an M2P. But right now, I’m running into disconnection issues well within VLOS. Anything between 1500-2000 ft in town and I lose signal. And I need to be comfortable in that range for what I do.

What accessories do you have with your Air? Remember that if you want to use your new M2P for business, you will need a new case, a fly more kit, etc. Now the price is $1499 + $125 + $340 = $1964 not including sales tax.

the only real way to overcome your range issues is to purchase a mavic with ocusync as you dont have the same issues as you do with the air the mavic 2 has a second generation ocusync which is supposed to be better than the original so if you are using it for work then that is probably the one to go for

Reactions: Former Member
What accessories do you have with your Air? Remember that if you want to use your new M2P for business, you will need a new case, a fly more kit, etc. Now the price is $1499 + $125 + $340 = $1964 not including sales tax.
good points Rob sorry our posts overlapped

when the battery is powering the drone it will get hot as the charge is being drawn from it and lipos have been known to ignite if they get extremely hot they only need to cool to room temp before they are recharged it is unusual to want to charge them straight after use you should have several batts if you want to fly for long periods extremes of temp are not good for lipos be it heat or cold

Throw in a few periods in your sentences to make it easier to read

I have the MA fly more kit. And I bought a 4th battery. Does the M2P fly more not come with a case (the MA came with a nice case)? As I said, I’m just starting to consider it. Still considering whether I can justify it. I’m not going to spend that sort of money just for a hobby, but if I can make a business justification I might.

I have the MA fly more kit. And I bought a 4th battery. Does the M2P fly more not come with a case (the MA came with a nice case)? As I said, I’m just starting to consider it. Still considering whether I can justify it. I’m not going to spend that sort of money just for a hobby, but if I can make a business justification I might.

The FM comes with a case but it's on the small side. I like either a backpack or better, a hard case, especially if you are going to use it for work and it might get banged around.

Reactions: Maviac
The FM comes with a case but it's on the small side. I like either a backpack or better, a hard case, especially if you are going to use it for work and it might get banged around.
I switched to the MA (after originally buying the M2P, and returning before opening) due to how small it is, and how easy it would be transport in a carry-on on a flight for personal use. But for commercial work, if I end up doing that, I think I’m ok with something bigger. Maybe I’ll wait for an eventual M3 in a couple of years and spend more time learning on the MA.

I use Lipo cells for a long time,
I'm an old racer Boats and Car R/C enthusiast.

There's not exact rule for using Lipo because it depend of cells,
application any many other parameters.
But the minimum knowledge I learn after more than 15 years
give me basic rules I apply for me.

I use lipo like this:
For new battery charge @ 1c Rate then Fight or use the battery @ 50%
with take care do not go up 50°c. (this for the 3 first use)

Wait a least 1 hour or 2 before charge them again.
(for race car I use 1 battery per day) but that need to have a lot of battery, so for training with old battery I charge them 2 time per day no more.

Adapt amp draw to do not heat the battery over 50° because in range from 50 to 60°c the battery life decrease and upper 60° you will kill it in short time.

The temperature of a battery has inertia. (depend on size and other factors)
When stopping the model although the battery is no longer used, the temperature will go up a few degrees before cooling

Thermal shock is not recommended.
But if it's hot weather and Hot battery you can use a fan to help to cool down under 45-50° c then let the battery cool at ambiant temp.
Not in the sun but not un a box

Always store them for half capacity or about 3.85v per cell

Reactions: mnis
I have a habit after a flight. I set my batteries on the cool granite counter top in the kitchen, this seems to cool them faster before I put them on a the charger. Acts like a big heatsink.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661