DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

50 years old starting first fligt

ok, I drained the first battery. just goofing off in the back yard in beginner mode. up down left right...
saw the top of my house for the first time in 15 years. LOL. time to go to the park and drain the other 2 batteries. coo I had my old samsung note 4 hooked up to it so i can fly and not have to worry about someone calling.

Drained the 2nd battery just goofing off buzzing around the park at about 50 feet until the low battery alarm kicked in so I tried the RTH worked great put it down within inches of center on a small piece of plywood I am using as a Helipad.
Halfway into the 3rd bat about a half mile out the battery started to go on the remote so I hit the RTH again and landed spot on.
Your right I feel like a 6 year old on Christmas morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using MavicPilots mobile app

e45227f281a36d71f84713a4fad92abb.jpg

Let's hear it for us Older Guys!!

I live in a forest.... It was quite an experience learning to fly.

Taken last year at my house from my Q5004KYunSteveKodaB11.12.15.jpg

Reactions: burtg and BigRhino
Drained the 2nd battery just goofing off buzzing around the park at about 50 feet until the low battery alarm kicked in so I tried the RTH worked great put it down within inches of center on a small piece of plywood I am using as a Helipad.
Halfway into the 3rd bat about a half mile out the battery started to go on the remote so I hit the RTH again and landed spot on.
Your right I feel like a 6 year old on Christmas morning.

Sounds like you are really getting the hang of it! Way cool!!! The drained batteries are a sure sign of that. Nice idea about the plywood. I heard they have a hard time in grass. Great report on the RTH. What I like to hear. That feature is a primary draw for me with the Mavic. The other is portability. The fact that it is a DJI just allows the rest to fall into place.

So what I am taking away from this is Mavic + 1 Batt = Fun, Mavic + More Batteries = More Fun. Simple math if you ask me.

Thanks for the update too!
Rob

Reactions: Jayfly
Let's hear it for us Older Guys!!

I live in a forest.... It was quite an experience learning to fly.

Taken last year at my house from my Q5004K

Very nice neighborhood you have there. Reminds me of mine. I have just enough clearing to get into trouble in Sport Mode. I also have a pool I need to keep it away from. LOL Plenty of obstacles for me.

Luckily I grew up a bit of nerd and played video games for a period. I hope my eye-hand coordination is still adequate. These really do seem like great crafts that offer a lot of enjoyment for novice and expert alike.

Looking forward to some great aerial shots out there.

thanks,
Rob

Yeah, I was 53 when I flew my first REAL flight. It was on a Yuneec Q500+, I still love that drone. Very stable and easy to fly. Hoping to take flight with my Mavic for the first time on Christmas morning or the following day (have the day off). Flying for the first time is SO exciting, and so addictive, you just don't want to stop.

Reactions: skypros
Yeah, I was 53 when I flew my first REAL flight. It was on a Yuneec Q500+, I still love that drone. Very stable and easy to fly. Hoping to take flight with my Mavic for the first time on Christmas morning or the following day (have the day off). Flying for the first time is SO exciting, and so addictive, you just don't want to stop.

Yea, I am, unfortunately, waiting until the initial batch hit the market. $1.3k is a tad bit more than I'd like to spend right now. At the same time, 20% off would likely make me jump off the fence. A friend and I are watching to see what the feedback is, and try to learn as much as we can about them. He builds them and has tons of experience flying. I am letting him be my guide in this since I have no experience at all. I am loosing sleep however wondering when we will jump.................LOL He is my A/V Yoda though and has not steered me wrong yet.

For now I will live vicariously through everyone else. Ultimately though, I will have one of these and will be proficient in using it.

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez