DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Activation Notice in DJI GO App

I've gotten it too. Im not sure why they are requiring a mandatory application activation process and why they will put flight restrictions on you if you dont comply.

Dear Customers,

DJI will soon introduce a new application activation process for international customers. This new step, to take effect at the end of this week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile. All existing flight safety limitations, such as geofencing boundaries and altitude limits, remain the same.

Even if you have registered when activating your aircraft upon purchase, you will have to log in once when you update the new version of DJI GO or GO 4 App. If you have forgotten your password since your initial login, you can reset it using a function within the DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps.

You will need a data connection to the Internet for your smartphone or tablet when you log in, in order to verify the account information and activate the updated software or firmware. If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

The feature applies to all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware or when using future versions of the DJI GO and GO 4 apps.

DJI encourages pilots to always follow applicable laws and regulations in the countries where they operate, and provides information about these regulations on its FlySafe website at flysafe.dji.com.

Sincerely,

Your DJI Team

I've gotten it too. Im not sure why they are requiring a mandatory application activation process and why they will put flight restrictions on you if you dont comply.

I suspect the entire process will result in more restrictions or limits and their using anti-carrot + stick to get people to comply.

I got a similar message via mail: (bold is my emphasis). I interpret this to mean that if you update the app w/o "re-registering" then the limit will kick in.

DJI will soon introduce a new application activation process for international customers. This new step, to take effect at the end of this week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile. All existing flight safety limitations, such as geofencing boundaries and altitude limits, remain the same.

Even if you have registered when activating your aircraft upon purchase, you will have to log in once when you update the new version of DJI GO or GO 4 App. If you have forgotten your password since your initial login, you can reset it using a function within the DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps.

You will need a data connection to the Internet for your smartphone or tablet when you log in, in order to verify the account information and activate the updated software or firmware. If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

The feature applies to all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware or when using future versions of the DJI GO and GO 4 apps.

DJI encourages pilots to always follow applicable laws and regulations in the countries where they operate, and provides information about these regulations on its FlySafe website at flysafe.dji.com.

DJIs updates are becoming a joke. Their eagerness to restrict the functionality of their products where they are in no way required to do so is going to start ticking off a larger portion of their customer base.

So if we are NOT on the latest firmware and don't update to the latest app we won't be affected?

Another question is: Does this mean we will no longer be able to use an older version of FW as well as an older version of the DJI Go App?

Another question is: Does this mean we will no longer be able to use an older version of FW as well as an older version of the DJI Go App?
Probably with the new version of the go app, but I hope that if you keep your internet off and don't update any apps that it will still be ok.

Per the letter, once you update the firmware the app will be restricted (and/or the a/c) until you re-register.

I'm beginning to suspect, strongly, that DJI are receiving a lot of data about our flights so that they can show where we were when something bad happens. Liability protection for them.

Reactions: lramdial
Per the letter, once you update the firmware the app will be restricted (and/or the a/c) until you re-register.

I'm beginning to suspect, strongly, that DJI are receiving a lot of data about our flights so that they can show where we were when something bad happens. Liability protection for them.
Time to make sure you givem a fake name? lol, they don't ask for an address when you activate the drone right? I don't recall, if they don't they can track all they want they won't really know who did it and where to find them.

Reactions: hornseeker
Check this out, I feel like DJI, DJI is the leader in the drone world but I don't know how long people will put up with them.
Electronic License Plates for Drones
"DJI proposes that drones be required to broadcast an identifying code by radio . . . That code would not include the name and address of the owner, but authorities would be able to use it to look that information up in a non-public database—a kind of electronic license plates for drones."

That would only make it worse for them. If they collect data, then they could be viewed as negligent by some, as they have knowledge of events.

Ignorance, OTOH, is perfect cover.

This is no longer the drone I bought last year with all these restrictions.
There will no doubt be a class action lawsuit filed against DJI,
I'll be the first to join it!
The nerve!

Reactions: Merky1761
This is no longer the drone I bought last year with all these restrictions.
There will no doubt be a class action lawsuit filed against DJI,
I'll be the first to join it!
The nerve!
I agree, the specifications listed pertaining to range and other things listed would be considered false and misleading if restrictions are implemented on the aircraft.

Dear Customers,

Sincerely,

Your DJI Team
Can you explain what is meant by "geospatial information". Does that mean restricted flight areas? If not what?
Can you explain what is meant by "flight functions" in relation to where the aircraft is. Does this mean that certain functions, like say follow me, will not be available in certain countries?
Can you point us to where we can find a list of this information ao that we can farmiliarise ourselves with it before the change please

This action by DJI could very well back fire on them and cause us the consumer to seek another manufacturer.

I don't see how they could think they could limit the product after the sale of the product without hurting themselves.

Fight back. Everyone should tell them if they proceed on their current path we the consumer will no longer support their products by being customers.

Reactions: frankiez
does anybody actually know what is being proposed. There seems to be a lot of jumping to conclusions. Perhaps someone can give some answers to the questions posted one above. I'm a commercial pilot dealing with ATC all the time and don't understand what they are on about.
Until I understand what I am supposed to be frightened of....I won't be

Well every second from power on to power off is logged that has been a given for a long time. We know they use the data in warranty cases but it wouldn't surprise me if DJI Go did transmit basic flight data over wifi. lat long and course data doesn't exactly consume much storage space especially considering I can store thousands of waypoints and hundreds of tracks in my handheld gps at any time.

Reactions: hornseeker
I too received this notice.. So, nothing to do until the new version of the app is released? And if you choose to not re-login to your account your drone has reduced performance? What do they mean by Performance, and what is DJI hiding?

I am surprised you haven't read all about it on the dozens of other threads already! Basically IF you do the upgrade to the new software then don't log in to lock your location you will be limited to 50m range and 30m height and no live video feed. This is mostly to do with the new Chinese drone regulations coming into force. The log in determined your location and sets the parameters allowed for flight in that country. Though so far DJI are saying it will only affect Chinese flyers.

Of course there is much deliberation on these and many other forums about what other changes they will implement in the future with this new found level of control.

Basically if you are outside China and re log in after the software upgrade their 'should' be no changes for you. Of course you do have the option of ignoring the update altogether and therefor no changes at all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RYNOGOD