DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S Fly away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: TonyPHX
I defer entirely to the two log analysis experts on this thread. But I will add that the wind at altitude can be very much different than on the ground, or even at tree level. The FAA refers to this as "wind sheer", and you can find it described at https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/library/documents/2011/aug/56407/faa p-8740-40 windshear[hi-res] branded.pdf
Its interesting your comment that you "defer entirely" with the analysis. Very respectfully I will like to read you point of view.

Going by the breaks in the time stamping I see two disconnections before the final one
the first from 479.5 to 482.5 inclusive
the second from 661.9 to 668.6 inclusive.
Going by straight line portions of the plots of other data there may or may not have been other disconnections. But that, I can see, Airdata does not think so and it appears, from the logs, that you had connection with and control of, the drone for the majority of the flight up until the final signal loss.
Look at the replay on Phantom help, from 37.9 @ 134 ft the drone is tilting sideways to fly in a straight line in the direction the nose is pointing, please explain to us, if not wind, why that was happening?

IMO you had ample time to reduce the height of the drone to get it into slower wind and maybe get it back but you made no efforts to reduce the drone's height until 8 or so minutes into the flight. And you only reduce the height to 1160 ish ft, then it climbs again during the an attempted RTH.
Why it climbed might be a question worth asking, I am on the wrong computer to check my own records for comparison to be certain of the height limits you had set.
When you began a 2nd attempt at descending I think the drone's fate was already sealed, there was not time for it to descend out of the wind before it was blown out of range.

In short,
a) too high,
b) in too much wind,
c) for too long (thereby allowing it to be blown too far away) and
d) even if the climbs were uncommanded .....not enough corrective action.

Pilot error.

"Drat, Sassin Frassin 'Richard' Dastardly", I missed that, thanks

Its interesting your comment that you "defer entirely" with the analysis. Very respectfully I will like to read you point of view.
Defer entirely to = agrees with the experts…

The log on phantom help = DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

similar thing on Airdata, click on the notifications tab then give it a few seconds and click on "hd flight player" then click on the blue arrow/play button on the LHS
txt = DAT =
I may delete the airdata's depending on how much I can see when I am logged out of airdata
Watching the one from the .TXT file was really enlightening as you watch the stick movements and see the aircraft try to overcome the wind to no avail. Also interesting is to scroll the data over so you can watch the battery level and the signal level to see how well they actually held up.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Yeah ... that's the least you can say.

No question about what caused this ... it wasn't any kind of "FlyAway" ... it was a pure "BlowAway". You can't expect that a RTH command or any stick commands will make the drone to do progress into a head wind with a much higher velocity than the drone can produce.

The log never reveals any reasons for a disconnect ... this as the log recording stops when the RC & AC aren't connected, can be whatever reason ... you not pointing the RC in the correct direction or some obstacle in the line of sight.

This was the winds you drone fought where it was flying ...

View attachment 143372
View attachment 143373
View attachment 143374

And you got a lot of wind warnings on the screen also ... that you apparently ignored...

View attachment 143375
Thanks for your clarification, this is why Im not comfortable to flight my drones above my vision...

To put things bluntly, you don't know much at all.

Here's what that flight data looks like: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
You just took off and flew at max speed for much of the flight.
But at 7:17 you left the drone hovering long enough to shows how strong the wind was where the drone was 1444 feet up.
The drone was hovering but unable to hold position.
It was pitching backward at 20° and rolling left at >24° (which indicates it was flying hard just trying to stay still, but still being pushed off by the wind at 5-6 mph.

That should have been a warning to you.
But no .. you took it higher and further away, ignoring the warning that told you:
Strong wind warning. Aircraft unable to return to home automatically. Lower altitude immediately and return to home manually.

Looking further on, at 9:33 with the drone up 1180 ft in RTH and trying to fly toward home, it was being blown backwards at 8-18 mph by gusty winds.

Your flight data ends at 11:09.7 with the drone 1095 ft up and still being blown further backwards by the strong winds at that level.

It looks like DJI was correct in their analysis.
The loss of the drone was entirely due to you having no regard for the height of the drone or the strength of the wind up there.
You allowed the drone to be blown downwind until it lost signal.
There is ni indication of any problem with the drone and the fault was 100% due to the way it was flown.
Classic example of a wind blow-away. Why in the world was this thing so high up? The winds at higher altitudes are generally much stronger than on the surface. I got scared just reading this Data log!

Reactions: maggior
When did you purchase it? Many credit cards cover purchases for 30 days for just about anything - lost, stolen, damaged... This might be your best bet. Path of least resistance.

Reactions: zeusfl
I'm curious about why the aircraft was at 1500 feet agl. That's manned aircraft altitude, and unless I am mistaken highly illegal. I have flown a manned aircraft at 1000 feet agl many times and a helicopter at 500 feet regularly.

Reactions: Chrislaf
I'm curious about why the aircraft was at 1500 feet agl. That's manned aircraft altitude, and unless I am mistaken highly illegal. I have flown a manned aircraft at 1000 feet agl many times and a helicopter at 500 feet regularly.
I guess you know where not to fly around Alberta. The GPS coordinates are in the flight data. These are the types of flights that tighten the leash even further. But we aren’t supposed to step on people’s personal freedoms even when it damages ours.

Sarcasm fully intended and I concur with the author of the quoted post.

Admittedly I don't have enormous experience of this forum, but I have read a fair number of posts here over the months. It's quite a claim I know, but could this be, by some considerable margin, an example of the worst flown drone ever documented on this site?

Admittedly I don't have enormous experience of this forum, but I have read a fair number of posts here over the months. It's quite a claim I know, but could this be, by some considerable margin, an example of the worst flown drone ever documented on this site?
Hardly

Nope, it has been bettered both in terms of height and stupidity.
There is actually a very interesting recent video on here of a REALLY high flight in China ( WELL into commercial airspace) where the start of descent was probably in severe turbulence. at the edge of a cloud.
There is also a "lost my drone" flight to well over 1000ft 'under' the flight path into an airport I know but that was a son who borrowed the Dad's drone (I doubt the height would have compromised a climb out as the airport has steep climb outs for noise limitation but I do not know the descent regulations.
The is an Aussie one, Melbourne?, that started with a climb to 1000ft+ maybe even 1640ft followed by a descent and fly out, downwind, over suburbs to low battery and the drone couldn't make it all the way back, besides which from memory the phone died because it was no where near fully charged at the start of the flight, the drone force landed in someones garden and was spotted in over flights using another drone.
Dublin, TOO high, blown away and if I remember correctly over their parliamentary buildings, that one might have ended up in the river.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe someone should start a 'Best of the Worst of' annual round up thread. A horror show of law breaking, safety violations, general stupidity and insults to common sense. It could prove very popular.
I would worry that if such a summary were picked up by a news organization then it could potentially make the situation look very bad for the industry/hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15