DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airport says "Don't call us"! Thoughts?

Jr. Stafford

Reactions
I live about 2.5 miles from a small airport in a small town in Colorado. (8,000 people maybe?) I stopped by today and spoke to the airport manager, and told him the FAA requires me to call when I fly my drone. He asked how far out I was, and how often I fly. I told him it might be several times a day. By the end of the conversation he said "Don't call, you'll just piss us off!" He gave me a number of someone who is there from Dawn to Dusk, and said the only time he wants me to call would be in the case of a 'flyaway' that was going his direction......otherwise don't 'bother' us.

Thoughts? Certainly makes like easier to do what he says.

Send the airport a certified letter outlining the conversation and requesting written approval to fly without a phone call. If they don't write back, keep calling.

Hahah I called it. I said this awhile back in another forum. If your 2.5+ miles out nothing will be at 400 Feet. Half those Helipads out there are unmanned. Do your best **** the rest. Don't call em lol. I hate to say it but the FAA has got a little tight and overwhelmed a lot of these places. It's to prevent an accident but these places don't have time for 522k registered FAA and counting users to take their little drone up for 28 minutes and take a call. It's all going to change. I live 4.9 miles from an airport. I'm on the boarder. I don't call and I don't fly in that direction. Usually I use the RC Fields for testing etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Send the airport a certified letter outlining the conversation and requesting written approval to fly without a phone call. If they don't write back, keep calling.

They are never going to write back! If someone wrote back they would be taking a certain level of legal responsibility and no one is going to do that with a Drone. I suggest the OP note the Name of the guy, the date and time that you talked to him and then write a brief description of the conversation.
Seal that in an envelope and if you ever end up in situation your lawyer can use the information to question the Manager. That way unless you broke an FAA rule or did not contact them after a fly away event you can prove that you did seek permission and followed the advice you were given.

Reactions: deltalimatango
They are never going to write back! If someone wrote back they would be taking a certain level of legal responsibility and no one is going to do that with a Drone. I suggest the OP note the Name of the guy, the date and time that you talked to him and then write a brief description of the conversation.
Seal that in an envelope and if you ever end up in situation your lawyer can use the information to question the Manager. That way unless you broke an FAA rule or did not contact them after a fly away event you can prove that you did seek permission and followed the advice you were given.

That airport probably barely has a tower. I'd note the conversation but that's about it.

I think flying in airport zones is granted only in special occasions and you can give the exact purpose, time, and location the drone will be (like a plane's flight pattern). For good reason, I can imagine if 20 people lived around there and were calling every day.

Also I wanted to add the airport manager told you to notify of a fly away in that direction since they know they don't have anything at that altitude 2.5 miles out. So take his advice. I'd just roll with it.

Reactions: ggessel
I think this is all (more or less) CYA (cover your @$$). Go through the motions and do what you legally need to do according to the FAA. If they airport doesn't care, so be it... Remember - CYA

Sent from my LG-H901 using MavicPilots mobile app

Well AMA Model Aircraft Standard is not to be within 3 Miles by law. Why drones sUAV are 5 I have no clue. Personally it's all messed up for one thing. Responsible thing is to notify. But they have it all messed up. The FAA definitely does not have a handle on it yet. I'll bet it goes from 5 miles to 3 too.

Last edited:

Lol, that's about the last thing I want to do, then he would FOR SURE be pissed off and never answer it. I think I will just type up a letter with day and time of conversation, name of the Airport Manager, and sit it aside. If I ever need it, it'll be there. Yes it's the law, but I can't force myself on these people, they don't want to hear from me, then they won't hear from me.

I sent an email to the 2 airports near me. Told them my FAA number, where I'd be flying and that I was obeying the FAA rules for drones. Left it open to when I'd fly and sent it to the GM of the airports. I have a sent date and time logged. So I'm covered.

I live about 2.5 miles from a small airport in a small town in Colorado. (8,000 people maybe?) I stopped by today and spoke to the airport manager, and told him the FAA requires me to call when I fly my drone. He asked how far out I was, and how often I fly. I told him it might be several times a day. By the end of the conversation he said "Don't call, you'll just piss us off!" He gave me a number of someone who is there from Dawn to Dusk, and said the only time he wants me to call would be in the case of a 'flyaway' that was going his direction......otherwise don't 'bother' us.

Thoughts? Certainly makes like easier to do what he says.
I live in CO and called the Centennial Airport control tower guy (Dennis) and he said I didn't have to call every time. I'm just within the 5 miles so he wasn't worried at all. Works for me!

I have ACR on my phone. Another Call Recorder. Records all conversations so I can listen to important ones over again. This would seem like a good instance to have the call recorded.

Hahah I called it. I said this awhile back in another forum. If your 2.5+ miles out nothing will be at 400 Feet. Half those Helipads out there are unmanned. Do your best **** the rest. Don't call em lol. I hate to say it but the FAA has got a little tight and overwhelmed a lot of these places. It's to prevent an accident but these places don't have time for 522k registered FAA and counting users to take their little drone up for 28 minutes and take a call. It's all going to change. I live 4.9 miles from an airport. I'm on the boarder. I don't call and I don't fly in that direction. Usually I use the RC Fields for testing etc.

I fly full size AC and if I am at 400 feet and 2.5 miles out, I am calling MAYDAY and not worried about hitting a drone......

I fly full size AC and if I am at 400 feet and 2.5 miles out, I am calling MAYDAY and not worried about hitting a drone......

Exactly! I agree there needs to be regulation but they have gone a little to far. Airports don't want to deal with calls and ATC well the job is a job where many wash out trying to keep up with regular air traffic lol. 3 Miles for Model AC better and that was a little bit overkill. The demand and popularity will change it all. My guess is the FAA will allow a closer flight with out notice in time. The way the Mavic is selling these tiny airports will be running a call center lol.

Airport manager wasn't totally wrong. If you have a flyaway in his direction considering the range of the Mavic I agree. Call em up ASAP. Haha

Helipads good luck calling them. Many are unmanned. But I would use the app to take note on where they are. You don't want to accidentally fly over one. A helicopter on approach will be at 400 ft, not miles away flying low is dangerous they keep altitude for autorotation etc.

Larger airports like ORD etc. I'd take more seriously and I wouldn't even call. I'd stay away.

Last edited:
If you really want to cover your posterior, and I recommend you do, I'd lookup via this link and call the FAA Flight Standards District Office ("FSDO") responsible for the airport in question and explain what happened to them and ask what you should do. I live within five miles of my local airport and I spoke to the airport manager, who I knew already since I keep my airplane there. He wrote me a "blanket authorization" e-mail that states I can fly whenever I want as long as I stay below 400' AGL and away from the general approach and departure areas. I would at least make sure you get an e-mail or a letter and keep a copy.

drones-drones-everywhere.jpg

Reactions: ksull72487
Great answer. Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Learned that one flying ultralights. !!!!!

I'm a member of the AMA. You need to go back and read the FAA UAS rules/guidelines as well as the AMA's. It explains alot in it and where the AMA fits in and how/why rules are different for them....

Well AMA Model Aircraft Standard is not to be within 3 Miles by law. Why drones sUAV are 5 I have no clue. Personally it's all messed up for one thing. Responsible thing is to notify. But they have it all messed up. The FAA definitely does not have a handle on it yet. I'll bet it goes from 5 miles to 3 too.

I'm a member of the AMA. You need to go back and read the FAA UAS rules/guidelines as well as the AMA's. It explains alot in it and where the AMA fits in and how/why rules are different for them....

Also a member. I think everyone should be. It's a requirement for most RC Fields. Speculation although on laws and regulations . It'll still change. Yeah I've read it. They are trying to integrate the AMA Memberships with drone registration as well. I think the AMA is a good fit for the FAA and drones. Nobody thought there would be this many users and sales this soon although. The number already is way beyond what both organizations anticipated, there will be lots of change.

I went over to my local RC Field. Nobody showed up then on two seperate occasions two people show up with Mavic Pros. 3 Total in 1.5 hours. What are the odds?

Guarantee it's all going to change. More people are after drones than people were Model Aircraft that throws a wrench at both the FAA and AMA.

Everything they are doing now is speculation to get something on the table. There will be more regulations and adjustments as time goes on. This is only the beginning.

Last edited:

Great advice. I'd add one step further - mail that sealed envelope to yourself. It's called a "poor man's copyright". When you get it back, it'll be postmarked with the date. Don't open it. Just file it away. If anything ever happens, you take that envelope and offer it to the authorities, seal intact, as proof you didn't come up with the story after the incident.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31