DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airspace Error

Randy

Reactions
I have been able to fly my Mavic in my yard until recently, now there is a big red circle and my DJI GO 4 app is now telling me that I am in a "restricted area", that my Mavic will "hover and pause". This is not true, there are 2 airports within 3 miles of where I live, one is state owned, and the other is private. I am a commercial pilot and own and operate an air service here. I am aware of airspace restrictions in my area and there are none. I can't believe this, no telling what it's going to take to clear this up! My home is located at N63 17 47.4 W143 01 21.1. When I go to the DJI Website online it clearly shows the airports, but only when my Mavic is ready to fly does it show this big red circle right next door on my iPhone. AHHHHH!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Here you can see that there are two OLD, private, no longer used dirt airstrips that the restricted area is centered over. My house is right on the edge in the lower left hand corner just outside the circle!IMG_0707.PNG

Last edited:
This is the problem, here are a few pictures of the FAA sectional map, and the map legend. DJI is interpreting "R" as "restricted, not "private "
legend
c3125b62af8d81582c5f655c010dbd93.jpg
IMG_0733.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

If I simply turn off (GEO), it will allow me to fly in what they are calling a "restricted area"? This is what is coming up on my phone when I try to take off in my front yard.IMG_0728.PNG

Last edited:
Hopefully DJI can modify the restricted zone if you bug them. That situation seems strange because my girlfriend lives within 5 mi of FAI airport, and I don't have any restrictions that pop up.

If I simply turn off (GEO), it will allow me to fly in what they are calling a "restricted area"?

Yes. There is a way to turn off geofencing. You have to be logged in to the DJI website I believe, and you have to basically agree that you have authorization to fly there.

I haven't done it yet because I still don't have a mavic. I teach at a school that is near a naval air station. We have permission to fly, we just have to call the tower and tell them when we are flying.

A student with a phantom 4 was able to turn off geofencing. It no longer prompts him that he is in restricted airspace though.

Hope this helps.

DB

I've been bugging them every day, hopefully they'll understand their mistake and fix it. I'll log in and do the online method if all else fails, apparently though you need to renew it every three months.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman