DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alligator Snatches Drone from the air and "smokes" (Graphic Content)

Very toxic and Hot once that battery is exposed to water…
Hmm, ok big news to me, so I'm glad it has been brought up.
Very interesting video posted by BigAl07.

I really hate seeing this go from the poor alligator to lithium and water, it's important to find out what is correct here.

So I won't divert the thread, but post a new topic in the general forum.

Just to clear that up for you, @BigAl07 wasn't the pilot, nor was he there, he just posted it as a terrible example of what some people that happen to get their hands on drones are capable of.
My apologies, Though it seems idiotic to me to condone (repost) obvious negligence of nature on a drone forum. If you cant resist post a link... I mean really.

My apologies, Though it seems idiotic to me to condone (repost) obvious negligence of nature on a drone forum. If you cant resist post a link... I mean really.

You're walking on thin ice sir. You've been warned and I CLEARLY explained why I posted this. It's a LEARNING experience so hopefully others won't make the same mistake. If you are so upset by this post, simply move along and don't look at it any more.

Allen

I quite appreciate BigAl making this known to me and others. “Condone”? That’s a pretty big misreading of this thread.

Yes, it is horrific and upsetting.

I feel that it’s important that we know of this abuse, that more people understand that their actions have consequences. Ignorance is a thin excuse.

In my opinion being aware of this, even as upsetting as it is, is worth it. I believe raising awareness is good, and may help to replace ignorance, and may cause someone to think twice and avoid this happening again.

My advice: buck up and see the world as it is, don’t close your eyes.

Thanks for posting this BigAl. It’s hard to watch, but thanks.

Very sad to say my wife said to me last night "Did you see the Alligator drone video ? It's all over social media."
She wasn't aware of the lipo battery issue with flare out, violent burn, noxious gas etc, and I kept that from her.
Social media will still get a bleak picture from this regarding drone pilots unfortunately, even though we know only a tiny fraction of 1% might do something this stupid.

To share the experience so hopefully others do not repeat it.

I Had posted this also, and took it down once I saw a thread was already started.

The Reason why was as you stated is that it a Learning video.

I live in Ohio and we have no crocks and I had no idea they could even lift out of the water like that. Im sure if I went to Florida I would have been tempted also to fly near them as there fascinating , but after seeing how they can reach out of the water , I can clearly see how i would have easily put the Crock in Jeopardy . Thanks for Posting.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Can we really be sure this a genuine video? If yes, it's as terrible as many here have already said.
However, rather disturbingly, there are plenty of videos on Youtube about drones and alligators. Not the first one then...

Reactions: BigAl07
I live in Ohio and we have no crocks and I had no idea they could even lift out of the water like that.

Amazing isn't it ?
Almost as impressive as whales breaching their entire bodies from the ocean.

This is your typical Alligator shown, some huge specimens in your southern American continent.
We don't have these here.
Here in Australia we have relatively harmless fresh water crocodiles, but also the massive saltwater crocs, and yeah, they can jump . . .

To give you an idea of size they can grow to (2nd larger croc ever caught in Australia) . . .
5.58m / 18.3' and 890kg / 1962lbs.

9c499eb12067a074e1b16f5e96297148

People get eaten here fairly regularly, latch on, death roll, limbs ripped off, bleed you out and / or drown you, put remains under some mangrove roots for mealtime snacking . . . not a nice thought, think I'd rather deal with a Great White.

Basically from about the Tropic of Capricorn, you don't go into the ocean without some local knowledge / input first, and a bit further north of that you do the same with any inland waterway / waterhole etc, no matter how inviting it looks.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
little spark wanted the hell out of there what is so upsetting about that what a bunch of whinners

Nothing new. There are idiots every where.

This one did not visit Gatorland to see them grabbing the chicken hang from the line about them.

But then again I bet they did not care.

Just morons, they could’ve stayed at a distance and then just cropped and zoomed the photo in post afterwards. Or like many of us, probably have other cameras with them, just use that and zoom in or even zoom in with your cellphone. These people are just moronic

And we wonder why we aren't liked by everyone and why we aren't allowed in most parks etc where wildlife abounds. This is a classic example of WHY we are so restricted (PITA is going to have a field day here). As if we needed any more "groups" being Anti-Drone . . .

IMHO ... gators should know better than to POP and smoke, it is dangerous to their health for sure !!!

Last edited:
I live near a swamp with lots of alligators and didn’t realize they might try to catch a drone. Now I know and won’t attempt that shot. I appreciate the posting of this. Alligators are resilient animals and in all probability regurgitated the drone.
i don’t consider the pilot an idiot or anything like that. Some things are easy to second-guess after the fact. My first thought is most gators would probably just submerge or ignore a small drone like that. I could see myself trying to get a similar shot.

And we wonder why we aren't liked by everyone and why we aren't allowed in most parks etc where wildlife abounds. This is a classic example of WHY we are so restricted (PITA is going to have a field day here). As if we needed any more "groups" being Anti-Drone . . .

A chemical burn from a lipo battery would really suck and while being electrocuted. The only saving grace here is that these animals are ancient reptiles and the toughest of em. They have very little nerve endings inside of em cause they have to eat animals, bones and all. As a matter of fact they have very little sense of touch at all instead they have great sense of smell and some type of infrared sight. Gators, Crocks and Sharks eat stuff like this all the time so I imagine their very tough stomachs might be able to handle it till his stomach had enough and throws it up. They didnt last for hundreds of millions of years by having a weak stomach. That being said I hope this kid has occasion to feel what a chemical burn is like (a small one) iTS HORRIBLE , Its being eaten by acid and horrible burn and being electrocuted all at the same time

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661