DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AMAGov

ksull72487

Reactions
Friday, May 19, 2017

Dear members,

As you've probably heard by now, a federal appeals court today struck down the FAA's registration requirement for recreational model aircraft.

Today's Court ruling is effective immediately. As such, if you have not registered with the FAA, you are no longer required under the law to do so. For those of you who have already registered with the FAA, you may be wondering what this means for you. We are currently working to obtain answers from the FAA and will share more information as it becomes available.

Please keep in mind that this is a fluid situation and there is always the possibility of a renewed push in Congress to compel federal registration for model aircraft. If that happens, rest assured that AMA will continue to advocate for your interests and keep you well informed every step of the way. We have repeatedly argued that federal registration for our community is duplicative and unnecessary, as our members already register their model aircraft with AMA. In addition, our 80-year history of safe and responsible flying demonstrates that we're not the problem. We shouldn't be burdened by overly broad regulations.

Today's ruling also bodes well for our pending court challenge to the FAA's interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (also known as the Interpretative Rule). That petition, which AMA filed in 2014, is currently before the same Court that today rejected the FAA's registration rule and affirmed the strength of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, otherwise known as Section 336. This gives us hope for our continued fight against the Interpretive Rule.

We understand that these policy and legal developments are sometimes dizzying and complicated, and they are rarely resolved quickly. We're nearly three years into our challenge to the Interpretive Rule, for example. We truly appreciate your sticking with us while we press on in the fight to protect your right to fly, free from unnecessary and burdensome restrictions.

Sincerely,
AMA Government Affairs

-Received this email a day ago. Not sure if it applies to drones. But more than likely will eventually if you have an AMA membership. Makes perfect sense. For now I'd keep your drones registered. AMA is after that as a well. You being a member pretty much links you to the incident, since the AMA has their own membership card and also tells you to write it on your drone or aircraft. Not to mention DJI can link you via its logs and GPS. So the FAA registration is kind of over kill. The amount of drones is what pushed the FAA to come up with registration although.

Please don't say licensed. All that FAA registration is, is a number that links you to an incident when you make a mistake. The only time it will be receiving a look is before you receive a fine.

Thought I'd share the email. Both FAA and AMA are the two superior organizations for drones and model aircraft. Although the FAA gets most of its info from the AMA.

Last edited:
I recently joined the AMA. There are many benefits, including insurance. (See their website for details.) Join AMA Today

They are the main group representing aeromodelers. I was a member in 1953, so I qualify for a Senior Citizens discount.

The AMA has their own rules for flying and they're based on common sense rather than fear.

And you can tell everyone you belong to the AMA. They'll think you're a doctor.

I recently joined the AMA. There are many benefits, including insurance. (See their website for details.) Join AMA Today

They are the main group representing aeromodelers. I was a member in 1953, so I qualify for a Senior Citizens discount.

The AMA has their own rules for flying and they're based on common sense rather than fear.

And you can tell everyone you belong to the AMA. They'll think you're a doctor.

If I remember correctly AMA's insurance only applies if you are operating out of an AMA sanctioned flying site. Otherwise the insurance does you nothing for for $80 a year.

If I remember correctly AMA's insurance only applies if you are operating out of an AMA sanctioned flying site. Otherwise the insurance does you nothing for for $80 a year.
There is no requirement that a member be flying at an AMA chartered club field for AMA's general liability protection to be in place. As long as the member is flying on a site with the permission of the landowner the member is protected.

Of course common sense must apply here which would be following the AMA's guidelines of not flying over people , out of VLOS etc

Also the AMA insurance is a secondary insurance meaning you must file with your auto , homeowners , medical insurance first and they want to see a letter of denial before they pay . I've never really heard of the AMA paying for anything .

Last edited:

I didn't join the AMA for their insurance.

I joined because they represent my interests.

Plus, they are the source of lots of useful information.

And it was only $65, seeing as I am a senior citizen.

--
- - Art from the Air - -

Reactions: _milo_
There is no requirement that a member be flying at an AMA chartered club field for AMA's general liability protection to be in place. As long as the member is flying on a site with the permission of the landowner the member is protected.

Of course common sense must apply here which would be following the AMA's guidelines of not flying over people , out of VLOS etc

Also the AMA insurance is a secondary insurance meaning you must file with your auto , homeowners , medical insurance first and they want to see a letter of denial before they pay . I've never really heard of the AMA paying for anything .

That's great I guess it changed or I was misinformed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18