DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anemometer Handheld Wind Speed Meter

I do as a simple method to say I can see exactly. what the wind is and direction and up there where the mavic
is going will be stronger

thats my 2 cents anyhow

Anyone using a Anemometer Wind Speed Meter before they fly ? and is it work the $25?

Unless you are going to fly at the same height you are now holding the anemometer it is not very helpfu for what you want to find out.
I fly model gliders and find the wind velocity can vary considerably at different altitudes - sometimes to even reversing direction.
On occasions I have had to have an aero-tow up due to lack of ground level wind and yet found a good blow only a couple of hundred feet up.

Reactions: Britcopinaz
Still it's good to know the exact wind conditions at 6 feet above take off and landing level as well.

Watch the trees. Especially the tall ones. Good indication of wind strength. Knowing the wind direction is good too. If you're gonna fly, you're better off doing your away leg against the wind, then you won't have the worry of working against the wind on a depleted battery.

Watch the trees. Especially the tall ones. Good indication of wind strength.
But you have to know how to interpret that for every season. In winter naked trees don't bend much in the wind, at least here they don't.

There are many ways you can interpret atmospheric conditions that do not require a technological approach. In my experience we had to learn how to interpret what nature was trying to tell us. We were given no tools, only our senses and instincts which our instructors patiently taught us how to use for maximum effect. We're obviously in different climate zones so we have to interpret our own individual environments the way they are presented to us but God gave us brains, patience and common sense.

Watch the trees. Especially the tall ones. Good indication of wind strength. Knowing the wind direction is good too. If you're gonna fly, you're better off doing your away leg against the wind, then you won't have the worry of working against the wind on a depleted battery.
I do this all the time, watch the trees, except I did get a wind meter for Christmas. Have not used it yet, but it is winter here so have not be flying very much anyway.

There are many ways you can interpret atmospheric conditions that do not require a technological approach. In my experience we had to learn how to interpret what nature was trying to tell us. We were given no tools, only our senses and instincts which our instructors patiently taught us how to use for maximum effect. We're obviously in different climate zones so we have to interpret our own individual environments the way they are presented to us but God gave us brains, patience and common sense.
I agree. But it is a bit ironic that we use a flying hi tech robot that we trust to make autonomous decisions, based on software and electronic sensors, and at the same time rely on our own interpretation of our senses to make decisions about flying them.

But of course, use your natural senses in the first place, always be capable to make your own decision. Sometimes electronics don't tell the whole story.

I got one way back and it sits idle.
I discovered quickly that folks aren't kidding when they say things can change radically at altitude.
So pretty useless

Reactions: frank candor
I gave one away after selling my sailboat.it was good for wind 0-30
But now depend on UAV app which I trust so far. Winds are fickle and are not constant so both are just a tool

I have one and after using it for a short time i could accurately estimate the wind speed and haven't used it since.

Or just go with your gut instinct! I lift off in a low hover, if I can hold it well,I fly (into) the wind! How much is too much? It depends on your skill level.

Last edited:
Never trust an app or weather map to give accurate wind information. Changes in local topography can greatly influence local wind dynamics in just short distances. Apps and wind maps can’t in any way account for those differences. I always use a handheld anemometer if there’s any question. Then, I put the drone straight up 100 ft. and watch it closely.

Anyone using a Anemometer Wind Speed Meter before they fly ? and is it worth the $25?
\

Man.... I bought a really good one and I never use it because as soon as I get some altitiude the wind changes. I was flying about ten meters from the ground. I went up to 60 meters and I got strong wind warnings.

I tend to watch the clouds as they give a pretty good indication of how fast the upper air is moving. Then I usually fly into the wind just to be safe.

I usually use the "radar" view instead of map in the Go4. From the tilt in that radar view and the forward speed, we can tell where the wind is blowing.

If I really want to know where exactly the wind is blowing and how strong it is, I switch the Sport mode into ATTI and let the Mavic drift with the wind. That's my anemometer, at the actual height.

Reactions: Turn11
I am an Android person but I use an iPad Air 2 as my display. On my smart phone I use the UAV Forecast app. IMHO it gets me close enough. I am not going to be concerned about a couple of mph difference between reality and app projection.

I switch the Sport mode into ATTI and let the Mavic drift with the wind. That's my anemometer, at the actual height.
Too obvious but I hadn't thought to do that, great tip @Porto

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sound