DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone actually get 7km range from Mavic yet?

HK!

Reactions
K, so been flying/loving my mavic for a little while now (touch wood).
But even with Line of Sight at different locales, I am be lucky to get 2000m (altitude included).
I wonder if this is expected in an Urban environment?

If so. Where did they perform this 7km range test. Nebraska/Greenland?

I was just wondering if anyone (who hasn't mysteriously had there drone crash) has actually
Gotten the Advertised 7km range? And has tips for us Mere Mortals.

Is it possible they were implying 3.5km to Max Signal, then the return trip, Hence 7km range?

Don't get me wrong, It's still incredible range for R/C, and I'm happy with it.
But I cant help but think it's the reason so many New mavics get lost. trying to chase Ocean liners
and such

Any Help appreciated

I imagine they went by numbers alone, but a dry day far from town taking off from a higher altitude would help if you wanted to recreate their results. Like in southern Arizona, but don't fly behind "Mavic Mountain."

Reactions: rossmoney
If you are in an urban area there is a lot of interference (Cell towers, Wi Fi, Radar, Telco Antennas) so you should expect to have a lower range.
Ive had some issues when flying around urban areas where there is a lot of steel, and tall building. Also remember that in order to achieve maximum range you should have clear LOS and preferably you are in high location. Avoid being surrounded by trees, rocks, hills mountains, that will also reduce the range.

If you are in an urban area there is a lot of interference (Cell towers, Wi Fi, Radar, Telco Antennas) so you should expect to have a lower range.
Ive had some issues when flying around urban areas where there is a lot of steel, and tall building. Also remember that in order to achieve maximum range you should have clear LOS and preferably you are in high location. Avoid being surrounded by trees, rocks, hills mountains, that will also reduce the range.

Your absolutely right regarding urban flying conditions. You are ATTI where i Live, unless you in a playing field or some expanse of grass.

I never expected to anyone to get 7km out of it (I dont think DJI did either), but It would be nice to hear some stories about, say, 4-5km missions without a loss of signal from the controller.

Lastly, Is there an app that can give you an idea of just how good or poor a spot you've chosen to fly?

Your absolutely right regarding urban flying conditions. You are ATTI where i Live, unless you in a playing field or some expanse of grass.

I never expected to anyone to get 7km out of it (I dont think DJI did either), but It would be nice to hear some stories about, say, 4-5km missions without a loss of signal from the controller.

Lastly, Is there an app that can give you an idea of just how good or poor a spot you've chosen to fly?

Yesterday, I got a 5653m flight but returned having 24% battery. My longest mission was 6192m with 29% battery (round trip) just returned as I usually land before I hit the low battery alerts.

If I push it a bit more I think I can easily get 7km (round trip) with enough battery to land.

Flying 7km should be doable in an open area, assuming one way. I flew out 4.55km before getting the RTH warning for battery at 65%. My total trip was 9.13km.

Is there an app that can give you an idea of just how good or poor a spot you've chosen to fly?

After the flight, Healthy Drones' flight log sensor report will quantify the connection quality. Every flight has some number of small recoverable packet drop-outs that the app won't even mention.

Yesterday, I got a 5653m flight but returned having 24% battery. My longest mission was 6192m with 29% battery (round trip) just returned as I usually land before I hit the low battery alerts.

If I push it a bit more I think I can easily get 7km (round trip) with enough battery to land.

Very Nice.
I left my Low battery at %30. Gives you enough time is things start going wrong.
It's kind of rule of thumb not to drain LIPO's below %80 if you dont want to screw them up.

Healthy Drones, I was wondering what that was in the Litchi Settings
I was poor that day from paying 29.99 for the app so wasn't in the mood to pay for "tokens"
Will have to take a look, ta

I had mine out to about 3.5km, about 30m high over open water with no potential interference sources around and I started getting video dropout warnings(0-1 bars). Transmitter signal was only down one bar but it was to the point where I wasn't comfortable enough to keep pushing it. Perhaps I could have increased the signal with a bit more altitude but I have a hard time believing I would have been able to double that distance.

If you are certain your home point is set properly at takeoff, what's the worry of losing signal? If it loses signal for like 8 seconds it should turn around and start heading home.

Reactions: Chorusbluck
After the flight, Healthy Drones' flight log sensor report will quantify the connection quality...

And discretely send a copy to the FAA for their enjoyment... J/K, of course... or am I? :)

In most environments, I get about 2-3miles, so short of 7km. Honestly, 7km is best case scenario and that means open expanse with no interference.

Mavic - North Bay, CA

Antenna placement can make a difference with range. Be sure the antennas are as perpendicular (or broadside) to the craft as possible.

A 7km completely unobstructed view is very difficult no? Unless you're in the country not many people would have 7km LOS view without at least a fence in the way.

I'm sure I could have gone well over 10km if it wasn's so cold outside. The signal was strong for the entire journey.

Attachments

• Mavic.jpg
    Mavic.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 53
I can't believe how many Americans think America is the center of the universe.

I'm American and couldn't agree with you more. Most Americans do not even have passports and think that Canada or Mexico is traveling abroad. I currently live in Europe, and the US is the laughing stock of the world.

Reactions: Falkenfisch
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998