DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are Mavic Mini ND filters worth it? Do they even work?

TDZHDTV

Reactions
So I understand the 180 degree rule when using ND filters, given the limited video control on the Mini, would a ND filter ever have the desired effect? How would you set the Mini up? Or would you be better with a simple UV filter?

So I understand the 180 degree rule when using ND filters, given the limited video control on the Mini, would a ND filter ever have the desired effect? How would you set the Mini up? Or would you be better with a simple UV filter?

Was wondering the same. It is said that you should have an appropriately slow shutter speed to prevent choppy video. We know that the aperture of the Mini is fixed. Does’s that mean that mean that when you adjust the “EV” that you are actually adjusting he shutter speed? I know that once you get a pleasing image that you can lock the values in. Is it possible that an ND filter will help in very bright light where the automatic shutter speed is just too fast (even if we can’t see what that speed is!). We would have to just adjust EV based on how the video looks and us an ND if needed in bright light if video is too choppy?

The “rule” is not really necessary for 90+ % of drone flights. Drone flights at normal heights and speeds will not be choppy, as there is not enough change between the frames to generate the choppy feeling. The bulk cause. For choppy video is playing video on hardware unable to play the video back in real time due to the choice of codec and/or video resolution.

The “rule” is not really necessary for 90+ % of drone flights. Drone flights at normal heights and speeds will not be choppy, as there is not enough change between the frames to generate the choppy feeling. The bulk cause. For choppy video is playing video on hardware unable to play the video back in real time due to the choice of codec and/or video resolution.
Hi, I appreciate the above but that’s not my question.

I use nd filters on my drones to lower the shutter speed to around 1/60 when recording 30 fps video. With the mini a nd filter will also lower the shutter speed, but I'm not sure you can read out the shutter speed. The E value indeed just changes the shutter speed. For the moment I decided not to buy nd filters for the mini, because I just want to have it flying without any fuss.

Reactions: TDZHDTV
9813FCE1-6469-47C9-86BC-DA9357790930.jpeg
So I’ve been playing around with ND filters, and determined that the Mini holds iso100 when fitting filters. Today was very a very dull day so I guessed at ND4 with the shutter speed coming down. Had good results in the sun (UK winter) with ND16 also.

There have been reports of problems using filters on the Mini - vibrating gimbals.

I love mine. With the limited control over video settings they really help my MM collect more much color info. These are the ones I use and I've had no gimbal errors. They are easy to install and remove so you won't stress the gimbal a whole lot either. Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 12.36.57 PM.png

I love mine. With the limited control over video settings they really help my MM collect more much color info. These are the ones I use and I've had no gimbal errors. They are easy to install and remove so you won't stress the gimbal a whole lot either. View attachment 92615
Yes I’m using these also, however they do produce a slight vignetting when taking photographs, just something to be aware of. No gimbal errors also.

Reactions: Rolocretaw
Theses are incredibly light weight, plastic and glass construction only. I believe it was the Pygtech filters causing the issues.
Yes, but only the CPL and ND/PL filters. their ND filters do not cause the 'shaking' problem.

Yes I’m using these also, however they do produce a slight vignetting when taking photographs, just something to be aware of. No gimbal errors also.
Thanks for the word of caution @TDZHDTV. Now that you mention it I want to go take a few comparable shots. Do you notice this effect any more or less when using different NDs? (I.e only noticeable with darker ND16 & 32 filters, or all of them)

Work a treat. ND+PL. You just have to remember to take off to insert the gimbal protector and when it's become dark, to avoid camera blur.

Attachments

• 15798537777680.jpg
    15798537777680.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the word of caution @TDZHDTV. Now that you mention it I want to go take a few comparable shots. Do you notice this effect any more or less when using different NDs? (I.e only noticeable with darker ND16 & 32 filters, or all of them)
I don’t recall, all I think. Don’t forget when in video mode the frame is cropped down from photo, so this eliminates the vignetting.

Reactions: Amcrory
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin