DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Arm loose when folded?

Tobarus

Reactions
Hi everyone!

I just received my Mavic Pro and noticed that the left arm (when looking at the belly of the drone) is slightly loose/wobbly compared to the right one when folded in. When extended it pops out and is fixed tightly with spring tension.

The arm also tends to drop down onto the table when set down without the props in place (as apposed to the other staying up).

Is this normal, do other owner's have the same thing? I've experienced in the past this type of thing is usually just a design flaw or what not, and exchanging it sometimes reveals the same problem over again, yet at the same time want to get it fixed in my exchange window if it really is a problem...

Anyone chime in? Many thanks! Also attached a picture for clarity.

33120926231_97926ce053_o.jpg
mavic_arm[/url] by Tandenes, on Flickr[/IMG]

It doesn't sound good nor is it commonly reported. However, it might not affect function if the spring holds securely without wobble in the extended position for flight.

I would exchange it, especially if it arrived that way. Something in the joint just isn't right.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
Thanks for the reply halley!

The joint itself is firmly in place, it's just that the reverse spring tension (?) holding the leg folded in isn't as much as, say, the other leg. There's some weakness in the spring tension when folded in which makes it more loose when folded in, because of this the leg will droop down a bit when folded in and held up (see picture). There is some give in the other leg too when folded in, just not as much as the other.

Maybe I'm being too paranoid since I'm in the return window?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma now because it will be extremely inconvenient (especially that I need the drone now rather than later) to return it (at the very ,very least 1-2 weeks to get it back?), yet at the same time it works/operates perfectly! If it could walk into a shop and exchange it, it'd be a no brainer, but because of the time to get it back, it changes the situation.

Can anyone else confirm their drone is like this too? I don't really think this is a defect, but rather an engineering oversight/flaw. Perhaps other people don't notice it ;-). I'm a perfectionist after all he he

Attachments

• mavic_leg_2.jpg
    mavic_leg_2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 191
  • mavic_arm.jpg
    mavic_arm.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 208
Also if anyone is so inclined, here's a video.

My observations:

1 - You'll notice in the video the arm on the left (when looking directly at the front of the Mavic/camera/gimbal head on) moves up and down more than the arm on the right. The arm on the right is held in place with more tension than the arm on the left (in the video). Because of this, the arm on the left (in the video) droops down more when the drone is held up with the arms free)

2 - Please note that the above is ONLY when the arms are folded up and into the drone (for packing). When extended, the "pop" out and lock into place, with tension.

3 - The actual hinge seems to be secure (the joint between the arm and the drone), it only seems to be the tension holding the arm into the folded (for packing) position)

Maybe this is all normal and just design variances, or a flaw?

Also if anyone is so inclined, here's a video.

My observations:

1 - You'll notice in the video the arm on the left (when looking directly at the front of the Mavic/camera/gimbal head on) moves up and down more than the arm on the right. The arm on the right is held in place with more tension than the arm on the left (in the video). Because of this, the arm on the left (in the video) droops down more when the drone is held up with the arms free)

2 - Please note that the above is ONLY when the arms are folded up and into the drone (for packing). When extended, the "pop" out and lock into place, with tension.

3 - The actual hinge seems to be secure (the joint between the arm and the drone), it only seems to be the tension holding the arm into the folded (for packing) position)

Maybe this is all normal and just design variances, or a flaw?
I have heard of this once or twice before; do a search on this forum and you will find a couple threads.
Regards,
-d.

Hi everyone!

I just received my Mavic Pro and noticed that the left arm (when looking at the belly of the drone) is slightly loose/wobbly compared to the right one when folded in. When extended it pops out and is fixed tightly with spring tension.

The arm also tends to drop down onto the table when set down without the props in place (as apposed to the other staying up).

Is this normal, do other owner's have the same thing? I've experienced in the past this type of thing is usually just a design flaw or what not, and exchanging it sometimes reveals the same problem over again, yet at the same time want to get it fixed in my exchange window if it really is a problem...

Anyone chime in? Many thanks! Also attached a picture for clarity.

33120926231_97926ce053_o.jpg
mavic_arm[/url] by Tandenes, on Flickr[/IMG]
One of my back legs has about a 1/4 inch more play than the other in the scenario you describe, just slightly less tension when folded.
Regards,
-d.

Last edited:
Add me to the list. Mine does the same to some degree. One of the two legs will wobble a couple of millimeters, whereas the other does not. Noticed it yesterday.

Just checked mine (built in early March), and it's been the same since I got it. It's perfectly fine when unfolded, like yours, but has a few millimeters more play on the left arm when folded (looking from the front).

Mine has a bit of play on one arm as well when folded, but I'm not concerned since it locks out nicely when fully extended. March 3 build date.

The March 1 build date unit that I returned to DJI for a refund (camera issues) was rock solid when folded... But then again it had camera issues - so back it went.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is... I was just in the DJI store in NY and their display drone was almost exactly the same.
I think that is a flaw? Because I went also in one of their stores here in Abu dhabi. We tried their dispay and its not same with my unit.

I tried to tighten the screws at the back of the arm, which seem to control the spring stiffness. But it doesn't make that much if a difference, which makes me think it must be the manufacturing tolerance of the locking mechanism.

As the arms are cantilevers, any rotational play in the mechanism is exaggerated at the tips. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Now Im waiting for the response of the dealer because they took the units and parts including boxes. Hoping for a good result from dji.

Hi all, any update on this issue? I got my mavic a week ago and noticed the exact same issue you all are describing.

Should I take it in and get it exchanged? This may not be a big deal since when it's folded out it's fine, but also don't want to chance it on an expensive product...please advise.

Hi all, any update on this issue? I got my mavic a week ago and noticed the exact same issue you all are describing.

Should I take it in and get it exchanged? This may not be a big deal since when it's folded out it's fine, but also don't want to chance it on an expensive product...please advise.

I wouldn't have it exchanged for this. It's not really an issue just an annoyance. From what has been circulating in this forum, exchanging is a risky thing. You may get a refurbished unit back. And there is no guarantee that it will have perfectly folding legs.

It really is up to you though and how you feel about it...

Reactions: DePilot
Hi all,

I signed up so I could comment on this. I recently brought the drone and had this 'issue'. I immediately exchanged the drone at the retailer. The replacement does the exact same thing.

I also went to local store which have the drone on display and they exhibit the same behaviour.

I don't see this as an issue now myself. Once noticed it's hard not to get it out your head but various people having similar experiences and 2/2 doing it, I think I will accept it it relatively normal and shouldn't be anything to be concerned about.

Thanks,
Mark

My left rear is a little wobbly when folded also but nice and tight when extended. About a week old, over 30 flights seems to be ok just irritating

Hi guys, I wanna share my experience regarding this issue.

I found this issue on my mavic when it cames out from the box, and I contacted DJI Australia, their support team asked me to provide a video about this issue and I did.

After few days waiting, here is their response:

Dear Mr xxx,

Thank you for your mail.

I have forwarded the video to our engineers for double check and they confirmed that the arm works well.

As the arm needed to be rolled, tight is not recommended. There is a certain tolerance to make sure the arm can be turned on and packed. Do not worry, it is not a issue, and you can use it relax.

Again, we are really sorry for the mistake and the inconvenience we caused before.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Maggie

DJI Technical Support

So basically DJI consider this as a manufacture tolerance. I wouldn't worry so much because it doesn't affect the flight but I'm kinda disappointed about DJI's QA, this kind of problem shouldn't appear on a product with $1000+ price tag.

Reactions: alexcannas
My left rear is a little wobbly when folded also but nice and tight when extended. About a week old, over 30 flights seems to be ok just irritating
Mines the same going to exchange it within the 30 day period pay over a £1000 it should last more than a week before its to wear out

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan