DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Back right arm wobble while unfolded

yesh_pwease

Reactions
The rear right arm wobbles ever so slightly when unfolded. It moves about a millimeter at the joint but a couple millimeters at the motor. I know when its folded it's not such an issue but im a bit worried since its wobbling while unfolded. Will DJI cover this? I don’t have the DJI care. You can see the small gap between the arm and the body in the photos. Will the force of the motors pulling up counteract this?

Does anyone else have very slight wobbles like this and has it gotten worse over time?
Thanks
57f425cf6f26eb845a7f4b24659860f8.jpg
b29a6cc374a4c0fac9a8e871abeff1d9.jpg

Last edited:
In your second picture, a wobble on that tab that you circled could mean a broken tab that prevents the arm from overextending upwards. If That tab is broken, it could allow the arm to affect your thrust line and cause uneven flight, and possibly become uncontrollable.

It would be good if you could take a youtube video of your wobble on both the motor and the arm and post a link to it here. I have replaced many arms on Mavics, and Im familiar with their tolerances.

In your second picture, a wobble on that tab that you circled could mean a broken tab that prevents the arm from overextending upwards. If That tab is broken, it could allow the arm to affect your thrust line and cause uneven flight, and possibly become uncontrollable.

It would be good if you could take a youtube video of your wobble on both the motor and the arm and post a link to it here. I have replaced many arms on Mavics, and Im familiar with their tolerances.

Hi, thanks for replying

As you can see in this video the right arm wobbles up and down while the left is sturdy.

A bit disappointing since the drone is less than a week old with no crashes

Hope this is what you need

It is remotely possible that the 2 screws that hold the arm in place inside the middle frame are loose. On the plus side, I see that the tab that holds the arm from overextending upwards is in good shape, but there really shouldnt be that much play going downwards. If you have flown it, but can still return it, I would look into that. If you have to file a warranty claim, because you arent able to return it, DJI will cover it under warranty but it might take a few weeks to get a replacement..

It is remotely possible that the 2 screws that hold the arm in place inside the middle frame are loose. On the plus side, I see that the tab that holds the arm from overextending upwards is in good shape, but there really shouldnt be that much play going downwards. If you have flown it, but can still return it, I would look into that. If you have to file a warranty claim, because you arent able to return it, DJI will cover it under warranty but it might take a few weeks to get a replacement..

Thanks for looking into it for me. I hear there is a repair centre here in Australia that can do decent turnaround times but I’ll just have to hope for the best. It is an annoyance but as long as its covered under warranty. Will contact DJI on Monday.

Thanks!

hi there
I had noticed same problem on a front arm. it clearly was a problem of the material stiffness. for some reason this arm „twisted“ more than normal. replacement of arm solved the problem...
torsional strength of front arm

46084ABF-E8AE-4FAE-9129-4D0BF5E53BA9.jpeg I fixed it myself...was far a way from civilization in Brazil and
I have always a lot of replacement parts with me.
the mavic pro is an unbelievable toy... it is quite unbreakable and once something breaks it can be fixed easily!

Reactions: Former Member

I have problem just as you describe as the lip is slightly cracked holding the one arm down. I am continuing to fly it but don’t know what pressure it puts on it and can see that if it breaks it’s probably bye-bye to my Mavic

I haven’t even tried the aus repair centre as my only do they seem overwhelmed with global service not keeping up with demand , but added to this it’s Chinese New Year

Is this part relatively easy to order ?
Do you think a novice to repair might be able to remove the screws/leg to replace the tab ? I have removed a propellor head already to feee a bit of debris?
Or are you in aus or recommend anyone in/near Sydney that could do the repair

Ps . As I assume speed and wind and sudden changes impact the pressure on that tab I wonder how much pressure it puts on it . I suspect this is a design improvement for the future as it seems a lot of importance relies on this fairly non-robust part ( now where is my 3-D printer when I need it ?) for instance do you think sport mode puts a significantly greater pressure on the tab ?

I have problem just as you describe as the lip is slightly cracked holding the one arm down. I am continuing to fly it but don’t know what pressure it puts on it and can see that if it breaks it’s probably bye-bye to my Mavic

I haven’t even tried the aus repair centre as my only do they seem overwhelmed with global service not keeping up with demand , but added to this it’s Chinese New Year

Do you think a novice to repair might be able to remove the screws/leg to replace the tab ? I have removed a propellor head already to feee a bit of debris?

Ps . As I assume speed and wind and sudden changes impact the pressure on that tab I wonder how much pressure it puts on it . I suspect this is a design improvement for the future as it seems a lot of importance relies on this fairly non-robust part ( now where is my 3-D printer when I need it ?) for instance do you think sport mode puts a significantly greater pressure on the tab ?
tbh I'm too worried to put this thing back in the air. It could set back a simple warranty fix (hopefully simple) to a much more stressful and more expensive situation. I think i might just test my patience and try to get it done with DJI first. Good luck with whatever path you take!

Reactions: Former Member
Thanks for looking into it for me. I hear there is a repair centre here in Australia that can do decent turnaround times but I’ll just have to hope for the best. It is an annoyance but as long as its covered under warranty. Will contact DJI on Monday.

Thanks!

Melbourne has pretty quick turnaround times. I think you are doing the right thing.

A problem with the saddle tabs will cause a prop strike on the Mavic body, check out this thread

Prop Strike in Sport Mode

To replace it , I think you will need to get a new rear leg to the get the saddle tab, check with the seller to see if it's included, but you might be able to glue reinforcement on top

You will need to take off the Mavic's top cover to get to the saddle tabs, watch out the top cover is connected at the back via a cable to the circuit board

DJI Mavic Pro Top Case Removal

The Australian service center is in Burwood, Victoria

AUSTRALIA
DJI Australia

Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM (AEST)

+61 1300 090 802

[email protected]

If your in Sydney, check out RiseAbove

Drone Repairs

Yes sports mode puts an increased strain on both rear tabs especially when suddenly decelerating from full speed to 0, to make the Mavic "rear up" like a cobra snake as some people like to do for fun. The momentum of the body will try to carry the bulk of the drone forward, and this type of braking will put the Mavic in a 90° pitch angle making the arms perpendicular to the ground instead of parallel. The arms will try to stop it, exerting upwards flex on the arms, and the arms will be holding on for dear life. The front arms can handle the flex, because they bend and are stored in a position that is parallel to the ground, and this type of flex will not hurt them. They are more sturdy than the rears. If either of the rear arms overextend even one time, that tab will crack, even if you cant see it. After that point is reached, and the tab is structurally compromised, any hard braking as mentioned above might very well cause the arm to overextend, the props might strike the battery, and then it's game over, and you have a brick that will fall wherever that event occurs.

The only other times I have seen rear arms overextend is during a crash, or ground strike, but that's to be expected.

If treated and flown properly and carefully within it's specs, the Mavic is one of the most solid drones made, and I compare them to tanks in their build quality and materials.

Reactions: Simmo
Ta my further research suggests that gluing is not a fix but seems like it may be a temporary-fix while i wait for the part

Am I correct that i will need to solder it if only if replace the saddle alone , but replacing the leg ( and any other unseen problems ) would be an fix with just the screws ?

Thanks everyone for your input
Great community

Ta my further research suggests that gluing is not a fix but seems like it may be a temporary-fix while i wait for the part

Am I correct that i will need to solder it if only if replace the saddle alone , but replacing the leg ( and any other unseen problems ) would be an fix with just the screws ?

Thanks everyone for your input
Great community

No, in order to replace anything on the leg you have to disconnect the motor. If you do not want to solder on the motherboard you could just cut the wire a bit away from the board and solder the wires back together....

Got it ta . Thought maybe with leg there might be a plug . I will solder .

Now onto the vexing problem ( which I will put into new thread ) about what I call a “tilt-shift” problem with my video focus . Ie One column of focus in a column down the video just off centre . Sometimes i can get infinity focus and then it snaps back into the same “tilt-shift” problem. I will post a pic but as you seemed expert maybe this known problem has a. Know Answer. I will post a sample pic to determine if my problem is the same as other reports of fuzzy focus in parts of the frame which seem to have mixed responses as to remedy ?

Last edited:
Got it ta . Thought maybe with leg there might be a plug . I will solder .

Now onto the vexing problem ( which I will put into new thread ) about what I call a “tilt-shift” problem with my video focus . Ie One column of focus in a column down the video just off centre . Sometimes i can get infinity focus and then it snaps back into the same “tilt-shift” problem. I will post a pic but as you seemed expert maybe this known problem has a. Know Answer. I will post a sample pic to determine if my problem is the same as other reports of fuzzy focus in parts of the frame which seem to have mixed responses as to remedy ?

You could go manual and set a smaller aperture which will increase the depth of field

If it's a front to back focus softness issue. most times this problem is hardware related and needs to go back to DJI

Iannes your suggestion is good for a regular camera but Mavic Pro has only one set aperture

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomi503