DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop Strike in Sport Mode

NastyNate

Reactions
G' evening everyone,

I'm a new Mavic operator, my Ol Lady bought me this thing for Christmas.
I've logged 10 hrs of flight time since then and have noticed some real bad prop strike when flying in Sport Mode. I would presume this is happening as I am descending and turning at full stick, simultaneously.

I believe this is caused by the rear arms, flexing upward and into the body from either gravity, thrust or a combo of both. The result is the depicted prop strikes on both rear sides of upper shell. it's more noticeable on the halo or ringed prop side for some reason, although I feel I bank equally to the right as I do to the left.

e4965e59a08d0d1706bde93cfa9f460c.jpg

a quick inspection, with a ruler, showed my motors to be in alignment, bird hasn't been crashed - yet. I called into DJI who explained that this is normal when i. sport mode - WTF?! Their recommended fix is to slow down when descending and turning and to minimize sport mode flying. Apparently mine is not an isolated issue as there are hundred of cases being reported of this same condition, according to Luigi at DJI tech support. Funny - not one mention of it on this forum.

Given that the above conditions will continue to result in more damaged props, until the impacted areas are fully notched out - I took a dremel to her to, hopefully speed up the process.

d7ec52f4e458e4deb85bd25658aea221.jpg

as you can see, I took it down as far as I could and the end result = prop strike. it would appear that, in order to rectify condition, you would have to completely remove that section of the rear, upper shell.

I've concluded that no matter what you do, this bird when operating in Sport Mode. Anyone else having similar issues on rear props?

here's a link to some of my RAW flying footage - in Sport Mode of course[emoji106]

-NN

Almost lost your bird at 1:43 or so. I don’t have any issues w my props. Good luck going forward.

Almost lost your bird at 1:43 or so. I don’t have any issues w my props. Good luck going forward.
I saw that . I didn't see that during my daytime recon, but really glad I managed to miss it.

thanks for your reply. Just wondering if you have descended while in Sport Mode, while at full yaw? that is when I tend to notice the issue.

Yeah I can see what you are saying, but on mine they are flush and tight.

Attachments

• 20180106_132809[1].jpg
    20180106_132809[1].jpg
    391 KB · Views: 396
  • 20180106_132746[1].jpg
    20180106_132746[1].jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 415
  • 20180106_132729[1].jpg
    20180106_132729[1].jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 418
Yeah I can see what you are saying, but on mine they are flush and tight.
it makes complete sense - those little wings, prevent the upward flex of arms into body. mine being loose - I have no way to stop the flex. I bet - if you tried, you couldn't flex your props into a position to make contact with upper shell, due to those arms.

Yep you are spot on. They are acting like 'stoppers' for the arms. Pull the shell apart and try and tighten them?

Reactions: csevengo
Yep you are spot on. They are acting like 'stoppers' for the arms. Pull the shell apart and try and tighten them?
appreciate the help Simmo! I'm gonna order some new shells and props now that I know how to really fix my issue.

happy flying Mate!

The butterfly is a seperate part that is the yoke for the leg hinge and is seated separately between the two two shells. The top flap should be solid and prevents the leg from rising past its click stop point. If that flap (butterfly) is cracked or broken the leg will rise higher under stress in flight allowing the props to hit the body. The Butterfly jount can be replaced separately or purchased as unit with new leg and motor assembly.
The Mavic is a camera bird and although capable is not designed to handle full decent and turn in sports mode constantly. The stress is too much.

appreciate the help Simmo! I'm gonna order some new shells and props now that I know how to really fix my issue.

happy flying Mate!
upper shell is $12 on amazon

Reactions: NastyNate
The butterfly is a seperate part that is the yoke for the leg hinge and is seated separately between the two two shells. The top flap should be solid and prevents the leg from rising past its click stop point. If that flap (butterfly) is cracked or broken the leg will rise higher under stress in flight allowing the props to hit the body. The Butterfly jount can be replaced separately or purchased as unit with new leg and motor assembly.
The Mavic is a camera bird and although capable is not designed to handle full decent and turn in sports mode constantly. The stress is too much.
my butterflies are cracked - probably from descending at full yaw in Sport mode.

thanks for the help!

I've come to the sad realization that she is not a sport bird. This is my first drone. bought mainly for scouting game but season is done here so really just having fun with it, learning to fly. I should probably learn some photography basics and get some more utility.

Reactions: Dragonfly
I wouldn't trust any of the props which made contact, even if they look okay. Been some posts lately about prop hubs disintegrating, even without the stress loads yours have been subjected to.

I wouldn't trust any of the props which made contact, even if they look okay. Been some posts lately about prop hubs disintegrating, even without the stress loads yours have been subjected to.
you're probably right. I'm grounding her til the shells are replaced and clearance issues rectified. Ive been lagging on some other projects as flying has been consuming all my free time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet