DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best firmware and your reasons why

I'll weigh in, but as a NEWB. My Mavic came with .400. It's working well for me. I pretty much adhere to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, so when I fired it up, I was pleased I was able to skip over the update urgings. Often as not these are pushed out by lawyers to cover butts, rather than engineers that fix stuff or improve stuff, so I waited.

Having read the many issues with versions beyond .400, I still wait. The Mavic runs fine and the updates offer only negatives so far as I can tell, at least for my purposes. I'd be tempted to jump on an open source firmware if there were such a thing, but that may never come.

I'd recommend any new owner to leave it as it comes from the factory. That build seems rock solid, so why mess with it?

To all new Mavic owners... I second what WEOTN says. Get a lot of flying time under your belt and do ALOT of reading on the forums before upgrading your firmware. From what I have read from some new Mavic members, it was shipped with .400 and this was well after .500, .550, & .600 was released so, with that being said, it appears that DJI apparently has chosen to load .400 on new Mavic Pros being shipped and they have their reasons to do so, if not it would be the latest revision released which isn't the case(??). I have tried ALL of the updates and since .400, so far .550 and .700 (NFZ issue & gimbal issue) are the only ones that IMO come close to being acceptable seconds compared to .400 which is The Rock!!! No fancy bells and whistles needed, great photos and videos, several flight modes you can choose from. Don't fix it if it isn't broken. If you trust something and it works for you, why change. If and when a firmware upgrade is proven to be stable and rock solid like.400 is, I might consider upgrading and changing the oil too. Please fly safe guys and galls.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: harleymhs
I just upgraded to .700 (latest I think?) and am experiencing issue where the gimbal doesn't stabilize when flying left and right. Instead the gimbal angles left or right. I experienced this with .600. The issue fixes itself it seams when you restart everything (mavic, controller, etc.). This just sucks because I'm headed on vacation in a couple weeks and I guess I'm going to have to restart everything everytime I experience this which will only delay the moment I wanna start shooting.

If anyone has any advice/suggestions....I'd appreciate it.

Downgrade to fw.400 and go4 app.4.0.4 before you leave.

Downgrade to fw.400 and go4 app.4.0.4 before you leave.
You do this with dji assistant by plugging both the mavic and controller one at a time?

Aside from fixed wing mode, which I dont really care for, what newer options do you lose by downgrading?

I have also taken it down to 0400 seems to be the best at the moment.

I had issues with 600. Then downgraded to .400 and then did .600'again. For whatever reason the second time seemed to fix those issues with .600.

I'm curious if that works for anyone else. ( a second go around ).

To all new Mavic owners... I second what WEOTN says. Get a lot of flying time under your belt and do ALOT of reading on the forums before upgrading your firmware. From what I have read from some new Mavic members, it was shipped with .400 and this was well after .500, .550, & .600 was released so, with that being said, it appears that DJI apparently has chosen to load .400 on new Mavic Pros being shipped and they have their reasons to do so, if not it would be the latest revision released which isn't the case(??). I have tried ALL of the updates and since .400, so far .550 and .700 (NFZ issue & gimbal issue) are the only ones that IMO come close to being acceptable seconds compared to .400 which is The Rock!!! No fancy bells and whistles needed, great photos and videos, several flight modes you can choose from. Don't fix it if it isn't broken. If you trust something and it works for you, why change. If and when a firmware upgrade is proven to be stable and rock solid like.400 is, I might consider upgrading and changing the oil too. Please fly safe guys and galls.:D
I disagree, it could be the MAVICs received with .400 just indicates the age of the MAVIC when it was packed and ready for sale..thinking about it. Really that wasn't too long ago but it would be interesting to do a survey on brand new MAVIC owners recently received their birds and if every single one has .400 software then I will agree with you.

Reactions: Mr Spock
I had issues with 600. Then downgraded to .400 and then did .600'again. For whatever reason the second time seemed to fix those issues with .600.

I'm curious if that works for anyone else. ( a second go around ).

Haven't tried, just stuck with the .400 seems to be great and stable.

Haven't tried, just stuck with the .400 seems to be great and stable.

Today 600 is all loopy again. Guess I'll try 700 and if that sucks flip back to 400.

Might have to swap this one out for a fuzzy camera for my 4th mavic. Hopefully not though.

Today 600 is all loopy again. Guess I'll try 700 and if that sucks flip back to 400.

Might have to swap this one out for a fuzzy camera for my 4th mavic. Hopefully not though.
Show some examples..

.400 Been up & back down - .400 is stable I don't have disconnects & super comfortable with it.

.400 Been up & back down - .400 is stable I don't have disconnects & super comfortable with it.
Yup seems about 3 people so far I asked, just recenlty purchaed their MAVICs , come with .400 firmware..hmmm still could be manufacturing date and they never updated the firmware ..Personally I've never had any problems with any of the firmware updates only odd horizon tilt but I have this with all firmware even .400. Its rare but it happens. What I do is a brisk flight and tilt side to side for couple of secs and let the gimble settle itself and I usually have no problems...

in the HW development business the factory build FW is often many versions behind the latest one released in the field via FW upgrade campaigns. This is mainly due to logistics and economics as one places a PO (purchase order) to the manufacturer or in DJIs case if they do vertical manufacturing the "build" FW is already delivered and enabled in the production lines and it takes anywhare from 2 to 4 months lead time to enable a new FW in the production line. So with u about the 400 FW stability overall but the fact that 600 or 700 is not used as build could be attributed to many factors.

Reactions: SeanOzz
You do this with dji assistant by plugging both the mavic and controller one at a time?

Aside from fixed wing mode, which I dont really care for, what newer options do you lose by downgrading?
u can downgrade or upgrade via the DJIGO4 app too if u wish. press the 3 horizontal lines for 3 seconds on the first page that shows the drone. on the top right hand corner.

I'm interested to know if those running the older .400 firmware are running the latest 4.0.7 DJI Go4 App (android specifically)? Is it compatible - aren't most apps backwards compatible without a few features of course? And if not, how do you downgrade the DJI Go4 back to say version 4.0.4? Do you need to rely on random web searched apk's or is there another way to do it?

My Mavic came last week and had 400 out of the box, seemed to be flying ok but as I'm a newbie and have only just got out of beginner mode that is probably irrelevant. Upgraded to 700 yesterday and it still flew ok yesterday after the upgrade but today for a whole battery the app locked up but the mavic still flew ok with just the controller but didn't take it out of sight. I do have phone issues (Samsung S4 mini) so until the phone is replaced I just fly it with the controller.

BTW i am on .0400 and tempted to give .0700 a go as i read a lot of anecdotal but positive feedback. For me the best FW was .0200 but i lost that train when i upgraded to .0300 and regretted it.

Reactions: Jamison74
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev