DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best firmware and your reasons why

I'm interested to know if those running the older .400 firmware are running the latest 4.0.7 DJI Go4 App (android specifically)? Is it compatible - aren't most apps backwards compatible without a few features of course? And if not, how do you downgrade the DJI Go4 back to say version 4.0.4? Do you need to rely on random web searched apk's or is there another way to do it?
u can and it works but not all features. the go app version at the time of 400 was 4.0.3.

1)Anyone can confirm that the .400 got better distance and live feed stability?
2) Does the .700 saves battery on the remote control?

I usually update, but I don't know if it's paranoia or if it's real, but the latest FW .700 seems to have laggy video, and weird behavior when tying to maintain a hover?

Reactions: goldpoacher
u can and it works but not all features. the go app version at the time of 400 was 4.0.3.
Hi Mr Spock,
Could you please explain what features might be missing from an apk version of the DJI Go4 app? I am using the .5 version (down-graded from the latest .7 app, as it gave me Gimbal and video issues) that I installed onto my Galaxy S5. I can't see any feature that may not be present as compared to the app store version. I keep auto-update off on my phone, so that I have total control over what gets updated, and I fly on airplane mode. I suppose I should really be using the .3 app version, as this was closest to the .400 FW if I'm correct.
Regards Smokey.

I'm still on .550 and have been for a couple of months now....not tested any other firmware but I can't fault .550

I only skipped .5 and .55. Did three long flights this week, today over 7200 meters, active track, Autopilot modes on .700 and no issues so far. Anyway not that relates to the firmware

Hi Mr Spock,
Could you please explain what features might be missing from an apk version of the DJI Go4 app? I am using the .5 version (down-graded from the latest .7 app, as it gave me Gimbal and video issues) that I installed onto my Galaxy S5. I can't see any feature that may not be present as compared to the app store version. I keep auto-update off on my phone, so that I have total control over what gets updated, and I fly on airplane mode. I suppose I should really be using the .3 app version, as this was closest to the .400 FW if I'm correct.
Regards Smokey.
Its rather the features that are added in later releases after 4.0.3 that will not miror the funtionalty of FW .400. one of them for instance is the fixed wing mode that is present on FW 0600 and 0700 and DJIGO4 app 4.0.7 for android and 4.0.8 for iOS. Using a later app version than 4.0.3 on FW 0400 does not create any issues, i used 4.0.5 too with FW 0400 but its best to use the app that came out with the corresponding FW for consistency and in case that a functionality on a later app is triggered that does not motor the FW that could cause an issue.

Makes perfect sense, agree. How do you downgrade the Go4 app however to a previous version, say 4.0.3 from 4.0.7? I cannot see how this is done or possible?

Hi Mr Spock,
Regards Smokey.
it won't be the app that gave you gimbal issues though but the FW or a HW issue.
my gimbal started knocking very hard during start-up and had the bumping issue when i moved to FW 0300 that was partially fixed on 0400 for me jt the knocking remained. I fixed the knocking at start-up with some buffer tape to calibrate the gimbal that i then got rid off. I got a stream post about it with vids and pics on this forum someware.

Hi Mr Spock,
Regards Smokey.
there are no differences between an offline sideloadable APK file and an APK that u download from Google play as long as they are the same version. its just a copy that's all.

Reactions: TroutboyNZ
I've upgraded to every new firmware version so far and it has been absolutely flawless.

What kind of niggles have you seen?
Msinger, I know you participated in the very long discussions regarding the forced auto landing over water in the .500 and .550 firmware releases where you could only abort with a switch to sport mode (undocumented). And the NFZ changes (defaulting to "in" rather than "out") are enough to keep me on .400. I have NO issues in .400 and like others have said, I won't upgrade if / until I am forced.

Reactions: WEOTN
there are no differences between an offline sideloadable APK file and an APK that u download from Google play as long as they are the same version. its just a copy that's all.
Thanks, so safe enough to download an older apk from the likes of apkmirror.com and so on? Cheers

I'm curious about something...

What phone are we all using that has had issues or not had issues with the 700 firmware?

Some are saying that they are getting broken video feed with it. I'm curious if the issues seem to be related to android devices ?

Joe buys a new set of tires.
Joe experiences a small vibration in one of his new tires.
Joe is not happy about the new problem with his tires and does not want to deal with the problem on his new tires.
Joe being frustrated, goes back to the tire dealer and has them put his old bald tires back on.

Now Joe is a happy camper
Well, .... at least until the tires are so bald he has a blowout and wrecks his car.
images.jpg
Joe is wishing he would have just fixed the small vibration in his new tires.
Now Joe is kicking himself in the butt for being a stupid guy.
Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 8.29.58 AM.png

I Have just checked to see what firmware im on the app is 4.02
Aircraft is 1.03 0200
remote is 1.03 0200
And it works great with no problems at all

I agree whole heartedly with msinger. I have had every single version with out an issue. I'll admit it can clear a few settings but it's easy to switch them back. The first flight may be different as updates clear cached information.

Point is I'm seeing no issues with the updates.

In the electronics world the last thing you want to do is not update. Apple has a few worms. Patched with MacOS etc.

Waiting a few days after it's release to be sure it's stable and the update isn't recalled etc is probably smart.

Hardware and compatibility may have an affect also. Are you running the latest app version along with it? Did you try recalibrating the IMU and Compass? Did you check your settings?

Not saying update. There are reasons or scenarios in which you may not want to. But generally speaking the updates only further stabilize the product and improve features. Did any of you make a few flights?

If it helps. I use an iPhone 7 Plus. It's always connected when I fly.

.700 has seemed to help with range as well or maybe congestion as far as 2.4GHz

Last edited:
Ok so i purchase a used Mavic and I upgraded it to 0600 (last night) then I start getting NFZ LIMIT errors and check app. This morning i tried updating the FW to 0700 but keep restarting on updating then show a failure message. Well i am gonna downgrade to 0400 tonight when i reach home. Seeing alot of posts that 0400 is the safest so far.

I disagree, it could be the MAVICs received with .400 just indicates the age of the MAVIC when it was packed and ready for sale..thinking about it. Really that wasn't too long ago but it would be interesting to do a survey on brand new MAVIC owners recently received their birds and if every single one has .400 software then I will agree with you.

With the limited production experience I have, it's a major operation to change firmware. As long as sales are consuming production capability, they aren't likely to change, especially if the shipping firmware isn't full of problems costing sales. The down time alone (one to two days for testing and verifying, if all goes well) would cost tremendous sales volume and profits. There's little incentive for them to lose that and increase risk of even further disruptions, and massive negative feedback if faulty units were being shipped. Given that opinion, I'd be surprised DJI would start shipping any of the new releases since .400 for all the bad press the users here have given them. I could be wrong, but holding at .400 has a lot going for it for them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom