DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best tablet/device to dedicate to mavic

Android user myself but it is obvious that the DJI Go 4 app is better on iOS. So I picked up an Iphone 5s on the cheap and it runs flawlessly. However I have one gripe. I was planning on making my android phone a mobile hotspot and just using wifi on the Iphone ... seems the Go App disables wifi for "interference" reasons. Kind of an unforeseen pain in the ***.

Android user myself but it is obvious that the DJI Go 4 app is better on iOS. So I picked up an Iphone 5s on the cheap and it runs flawlessly. However I have one gripe. I was planning on making my android phone a mobile hotspot and just using wifi on the Iphone ... seems the Go App disables wifi for "interference" reasons. Kind of an unforeseen pain in the ***.

What? Can anyone confirm this.

Reactions: coderdad
What? Can anyone confirm this.
Apple devices work well right out of the box. Since Android devices are more configurable, there is no doubt a small learning curve to getting them setup for those who have never used an Android device. Both types of devices can run equally as well as long as you're using a device that's supported by DJI and/or known to work well with DJI GO.

Apple devices work well right out of the box. Since Android devices are more configurable, there is no doubt a small learning curve to getting them setup for those who have never used an Android device. Both types of devices can run equally as well as long as you're using a device that's supported by DJI and/or known to work well with DJI GO.

There is a reason most Apple hardware is almost half the power of its Android counterpart. iOS is much more efficient than Android. Mainly because the Apple programmers are working with very specific hardware specifications and can tune the OS much better. Android on the other hand has to operate on a multitude of hardware setups and is often modified (molested) by the different hardware manufactures even before it lands on the shelf. This creates a whole list of problems for software developers making the apps. I am one.

Reactions: haelio
Wow,
This is a depressing thread. I have ordered a Mavic, and am thinking about canceling the order.
It seems like the DJI house are all Apple fan boys, and those of us not in love with the rapacious fruit company are basically out of luck. So in addition to the cost of the Mavic, I would have to spend almost $300.00 additional to purchase a Ipad that would only be used to fly it. Even though I have a Nexus 6p, and various Android devices already.
I was looking at possibly getting the Nvida Shield, but that doesn't seem to completely work either as the DJI support for Android devices does not even work on the devices that they claim to work on according to what I am reading in these forums.

Any thoughts?
Guy
:-(

Wow,
This is a depressing thread. I have ordered a Mavic, and am thinking about canceling the order.
It seems like the DJI house are all Apple fan boys, and those of us not in love with the rapacious fruit company are basically out of luck. So in addition to the cost of the Mavic, I would have to spend almost $300.00 additional to purchase a Ipad that would only be used to fly it. Even though I have a Nexus 6p, and various Android devices already.
I was looking at possibly getting the Nvida Shield, but that doesn't seem to completely work either as the DJI support for Android devices does not even work on the devices that they claim to work on according to what I am reading in these forums.

Any thoughts?
Guy

Yes, don't worry! If you're a seasoned android user you'll be just fine as you'll be used to androids rather pinickity requirement on a USB connection. The vast majority of problems that people are getting are to do with program defaults, which is super easy to sort. It's true to say it's not quite as instantly user friendly as iOS but once you've got it set up to your liking you shouldn't have any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: jerryflah
Don't have my Mavic yet so I can't experiment but have a question about using a device without data. I have seen posts that state that the Mavic is being flown with the device in Airplane mode, would that disable Follow Me mode and Reset Home Point also?

My understanding of the Follow Me mode is that it will use a signal from the controller to maintain its position, why then would it effect it to have no data from the phone? This is assuming you have cashed maps of the area you are in previously from wi-fi.

This would also not allow you to use the controller as home setting correct?

Hope this isn't a dumb question but like I said I don't have the ability to try it out yet. Thanks for any help on this.

Wow,

Any thoughts?
Guy

I am an Apple fan but don't like taking my iPhone out of the case every time I fly so I bought an Acer Iconia One 7 tablet for about $ 50 bucks and initial testing and setup seems fine. I will fly the heck out of it as soon as the rain/snow stops and report more however you are quite OK using Android with the Mavic

Reactions: jerryflah
Don't have my Mavic yet so I can't experiment but have a question about using a device without data. I have seen posts that state that the Mavic is being flown with the device in Airplane mode, would that disable Follow Me mode and Reset Home Point also?

My understanding of the Follow Me mode is that it will use a signal from the controller to maintain its position, why then would it effect it to have no data from the phone? This is assuming you have cashed maps of the area you are in previously from wi-fi.

This would also not allow you to use the controller as home setting correct?

Hope this isn't a dumb question but like I said I don't have the ability to try it out yet. Thanks for any help on this.
No this is not correct. The controller has no gps. The gps is in the Mavic body. The Mavic sets the home point. The home point can only be changed within the Go app on a device (phone/tablet)that has GPS. And follows uses the same.

Does anyone know if there is a significant difference of the iPad mini 2 versus the iPad mini 4 when flying the drone
The iPad Mini 4 is faster, lighter, less likely to overheat in hot temperatures, and has an anti-reflective coating on the screen for better viewing outside. If it doesn't fit your budget though, the iPad Mini 2 is still able to run DJI GO well.

Reactions: chazzm
Will hotspotting an iPad to a phone enable resetting the home point to my current location? I.e. Will the aircraft get the new GPS coordinates from the app?

Will hotspotting an iPad to a phone enable resetting the home point to my current location? I.e. Will the aircraft get the new GPS coordinates from the app?
No.

Reactions: Peter Barnes
No this is not correct. The controller has no gps. The gps is in the Mavic body. The Mavic sets the home point. The home point can only be changed within the Go app on a device (phone/tablet)that has GPS. And follows uses the same.
OK got that and I assume in the follow me mode it is using the forward facing cameras to track what ever you locked them on.

I assume in the follow me mode it is using the forward facing cameras to track what ever you locked them on.
No -- that's ActiveTrack. Follow Me tracks the GPS location of your mobile device.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78