DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best tablet/device to dedicate to mavic

Will hotspotting your phone give you access to maps?

Also, will the earlier versions of the iPad mini work well?
Yep you will have full internet access. Also I have read it has to be an iPad mini 2 or newer. First gen wont work. I picked up a used one for $150

Think I will be doing the same, should be quite straight forward as i think all that's needed is to make a small notch by where the metal parts of the holder rest

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Think I will be doing the same, should be quite straight forward as i think all that's needed is to make a small notch by where the metal parts of the holder rest

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I assume you have the new controller. Please share your findings here. I want to order a mini 4, but not until I see it can be done.

I use an iPad Mini 4. Fits in my controller just fine, no issues with it hitting the Sport Mode switch or fitting in the controller.
Got the cellular version for the GPS, but the cellular service is not activated.
Only minor software issues with DJI GO 4, which I'm sure will be addressed in future updates.

I tried them all but I'll stick with the mini 4

Attachments

• IMG_0758.PNG
    IMG_0758.PNG
    102.3 KB · Views: 166
I use an ipad pro when i am sitting. the tablet sits on my lap and it gives me a great screen to view.
Granted its not super portable but when flying around the house you cant beat it...

Whatever you get, be sure it is iOS. I'm an android fanboy, but when I can't fly for 15 minutes because the go app won't open without crashing, I get pissed off. The developer for litchi even commented on the sdk improvements in iOS vs android. I ended up getting an iPod touch 6th gen off eBay for $100. I hotspot my phone as others commented. So far, it's great. App opens instantly, and performs flawlessly.

Reactions: SussexBedouin
There are many devices that work well with DJI GO. I keep a list of them here.

Is this considered an outdated list (below)?
Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

I originally ordered Mavic based on my Tab E being on the list, but all I see on forums is Tab A and others like it (ie Tab E) are laggy, disconnect, etc. I haven't got my Mavic yet, but not in the mood to add 25% to the cost just to get it working right.

Whatever you get, be sure it is iOS. I'm an android fanboy, but when I can't fly for 15 minutes because the go app won't open without crashing, I get pissed off. The developer for litchi even commented on the sdk improvements in iOS vs android. I ended up getting an iPod touch 6th gen off eBay for $100. I hotspot my phone as others commented. So far, it's great. App opens instantly, and performs flawlessly.
I wonder why Android go app wouldn't open for you? Lucky I've never had that happen. I'm still using the old go app , but I have over 4 hours of flight time and have never experienced that.

I wonder why Android go app wouldn't open for you? Lucky I've never had that happen. I'm still using the old go app , but I have over 4 hours of flight time and have never experienced that.
The new go 4 app was the worst. The old app was decent on response. It would only fail a few times and then open properly.

hi all,

On my way to fly this morning my phone rang and I ended up talking for an hour. That drain my battery to 50%. Then my phone rang while I was flying. Then I put it into airplane mode and it died in about 20 minutes.

All this to say that I think I have decided that I'm going to let my phone via phone and get a dedicated device for my Mavic. Hopefully this will mean more flight time and quicker set up. So here's my question:

Can anybody recommend the perfect device as a dedicated Mavic screen? I did buy a Litchi for my iPhone so if it's an android which it probably is I will have to buy it again. That makes me sad.

I guess I am looking for the best performance for the price. Something as big as possible that still fits. Something of battery last a good long time.

I'm sure this has been discussed many times but I wasn't able to find my exact question. Thank you in advance. Happy flying.

I was lucky I did a two for the price of one buy on the LG Stylo 2V smart phone. It was time for me to upgrade the girl friends phone anyway and after renegotiating my contract with Verizon I'm paying less monthly on my bill and now have a dedicated phone for the Mavic. The phone screen size is about the size of the large iphone 7. The phone has a phone number that I'll cancel in about six month. This phone is set to airplane mode so I get no calls. The video and picture quality is very good even at long distance. This phone accepts a micro SD card so I've got a 64 mega bit card in it, works well. This phone fit the Mavic controller just fine. I used to IOS products but the Android works just fine.

Hi there I'm keen on the iPod option as well, but wondering whether the flight modes like active track etc. work as the iPod doesn't have gps? Any insight you could give me before I go out and get one would be great. Currently using the previous dji app with an iPhone 5c and works sometimes ok, sometimes fails to connect. Cheers kbjb

Reactions: RAFALE
wondering whether the flight modes like active track etc. work as the iPod doesn't have gps?
When using devices with no GPS, all flight modes will work except Follow Me.

So my Nexus 7 2013 has GPS. If I cache the maps before hand I have all features available without having to make a hot spot with my phone?

I am stoked to have this figured out. I will always have my iPhone with me, but I want the iPad mini 4 for the bigger screen, so I will hotspot and be very content.

Thanks Everybody. Now I just need to figure out how to modify the new controller with a Dremel to get back the 3 mm after they changed it.

I just bought the Mav Mount - you can get one for the iPad mini or a different one for the iPad air/pro. It's a great device

When I first started looking in to drones, specifically the Yuneek q500 and the phantom 4, I almost bought a yuneek because I use an android phone. I was finding out that dji was basically designed to run on ios systems. They didnt support my samsung ph then. I still think that ios is the preferred operating system, so after my devision for the mavic, I bought a new mini ipad 2. It will be dedicated to the drone as I won't use it for anything else.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_