DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Black Sand Dunes on Iceland | 4k HDR |

Welcome to the forum!

There is lots of good technique with your flying and editing. I especially liked the low shot at the end near the dune with the sand blowing would have liked more than that. I was surprised to see the rotors at 0:30 since I cannot recall seeing that with my Mavic 3. Perhaps your gimbal was set to a very high angle.

I liked your choice of music as well. It would lend itself nicely to a B-roll video with transitions on the strong beat.

Welcome to the forum!

There is lots of good technique with your flying and editing. I especially liked the low shot at the end near the dune with the sand blowing would have liked more than that. I was surprised to see the rotors at 0:30 since I cannot recall seeing that with my Mavic 3. Perhaps your gimbal was set to a very high angle.

I liked your choice of music as well. It would lend itself nicely to a B-roll video with transitions on the strong beat.
Thanks for the feedback Joel :)

The rotor surprised me as well, but you are right, it was a crazy head wind and probably the drone was almost at 45 degrees with full throttle.

I was a bit nervous but the Mavic 3 handled the Icelandic wind perfectly. Landing on my palm was not easy though, took me a minute to catch it :)

Awesome scenery captured! Terrific time of day to video - the lighting really brings out the uniqueness of the area..... Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: david.dudas
Shot on my Mavic 3 in HDR (HLG)
Crazy black sand dunes located near the Vestrahorn mountain range on Iceland.

What do you think?

I loved the video, The Vestrahorn mountain is one of the most photogenic places we visited n our trip there several years ago. When I was the the weather was overcast and windy. You are lucky to have had the sun. I will be sending you my video on a private conversation, so as not to hijack this thread.

Dale
Miami

Thanks for a view I’ll never get to see in person. Wonder if the dunes formed under water in distant past.

Reactions: david.dudas
Thanks for a view I’ll never get to see in person. Wonder if the dunes formed under water in distant past.
yeah, i've never seen such formations in my life, especially with the strange vegetation on top.
I cannot wait to go back in the summer when everything looks completely different :)

amazing!

Could you explain what video setting you were using in the drone and how edit an export to have the HDR mode? I use davinci resolve

thanks!
Sure!

To edit in HDR unfortunately you need the paid version of Davinci Resolve Studio

I record with the Mavic 3 in "HLG" mode (10 bit), and in Davinci you can just enable the HDR in the Color Management settings, and on the export tab just click on export and embed HDR10 metadata. You can also try LOG footage, but that is more work with color grading. HLG is just fine.

Afterwards you can upload to youtube as it is, but depending on the length of the video, it will take 1-2 days to appear as HDR (little sticker on the quality sittings will appear). Probably youtube post processing.

And the same approach work for Instagram as well if you upload a reel from your iPhone it will get converted overnight to HDR and looks gorgeous. Hopefully with Android 14 we get this on android devices as well.
Downside is, Instagram throws away the high quality video after 3 months and you are left with a pixelated SDR mess..

If you are looking for a free solution, you could try to upload the HLG footage from your drone to your iPhone and try to edit in the phone gallery. (as iOS supports HDR) Not sure if it will work for youtube though. (Video footage from the iPhone is per default HDR, and if you upload them to youtube "as is" they will appear as HDR, and as it also uses HLG, i would assume the Mavic footage would work as well, but this needs to be tested.)

I hope this helps, if not, i can try to create a tutorial for it :)

PS: I use an M1 Macbook Pro with an HDR display, not sure how Windows 11 supports HDR with external monitors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman