DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Boss asked me to record a video, do I need a 107 license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowsgonemadd3

Reactions
I work for a small company. Sometimes I shoot drone footage for "fun". Truly I do. I just go shoot the video footage because I like to. This time I have been sent a text and asked if I can shoot some footage over our buildings for a pitch he is making.

If I volunteer to do it, is it considered commercial flying and I can get in trouble?

I work for a small company. Sometimes I shoot drone footage for "fun". Truly I do. I just go shoot the video footage because I like to. This time I have been sent a text and asked if I can shoot some footage over our buildings for a pitch he is making.

If I volunteer to do it, is it considered commercial flying and I can get in trouble?
Yes... legally speaking you should have a 107 license. You may be able to parley this into work paying for your certification.

It's not considered commercial flying because there is no such thing in FAA regulations. There is only recreational flying and non-recreational flying. This clearly doesn't meet the criteria for recreational, and so it falls squarely under Part 107.

If the pictures are going to be used for something that's going to profit from ( let's say the pictures are going to be printed on a brochure) then the answer is yes and you will have to have a 107 to do that shoot.

Well yes you will need one. You will need to protect yourself to future problems.

Once you have one then you will not be asking this question and all of the "gray" areas go away.

Reactions: Kentucky Ranger
If the pictures are going to be used for something that's going to profit from ( let's say the pictures are going to be printed on a brochure) then the answer is yes and you will have to have a 107 to do that shoot.
Profit is irrelevant. It's either recreational under 44809, or it's 107. And since this isn't "flown strictly for recreational purposes", it falls under Part 107.

Profit has nothing to do with it.... anytime you step outside the protective 'recreational bubble', you have to have 107 cert.

You CAN get pinched for it but you most likely won't. If you're worried about it, have your boss borrow it and take the footage himself.

Here's a quick and dirty visual I just did, may not be labeled exactly right, but should convey the general idea.

View attachment 133873
I'd say that diagram is terribly misleading. It puts "recreational flights" inside the circle of Part 107. It's true that Part 107 says nothing about the purpose for which you might want to fly, so in that sense, one may fly for recreational purposes using the rules of Part 107, including the rule requiring one to get a license. But I doubt that's what you were trying to say.

Section 44809 provides a way of flying OUTSIDE the rules of Part 107 (in particular, outside the requirement for obtaining a license), provided one complies with the limitations of Section 44809.

READ SECTION 44809! At least paragraph (a). It's not long or hard.

(a) In General.—Except as provided in subsection (e), and notwithstanding chapter 447 of title 49, United States Code, a person may operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the operation adheres to all of the following limitations:
(1) The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.
<I have omitted other important restrictions here. Go to the link above to view them>

(b) Other Operations.—
Unmanned aircraft operations that do not conform to the limitations in subsection (a) must comply with all statutes and regulations generally applicable to unmanned aircraft and unmanned aircraft systems.
Subsection (a) says that you may fly a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority (that means, without a license issued by the FAA), if you comply with the restrictions listed below. The first restriction listed is that "The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes." If you're doing a favor for your Boss, it's not strictly recreational purposes anymore. Recreation is something you do for your own enjoyment. You can't do recreation for someone else.

Subsection (b) "Other Operations", says that it you don't comply with ALL of the limitations of subsection (a), you must fly under Part 107 (or another part that allows the flight in question).

Reactions: bitsbytes
It puts "recreational flights" inside the circle of Part 107.
Technically, all sUAS flights are actually governed by Part 107. That's why 'recreational flights' are inside their own 'Protective Bubble', as mandated by Congress.

The big circle is FAA rules and regs for all sUAS flights, Congress 'carved out' exceptions for recreational.

If you fly for any reason other than your own pleasure and enjoyment, you're flying under 107 and need certification..

Let's see what @Vic Moss or @BigAl07 have to say.

Last edited:
Technically, all sUAS flights are actually governed by Part 107. That's why 'recreational flights' are inside their own 'Protective Bubble', as mandated by Congress.

The big circle is FAA rules and regs for all sUAS flights, Congress 'carved out' exceptions for recreational.

If you fly for any reason other than your own pleasure and enjoyment, you're flying under 107 and need certification..

Let's see what @Vic Moss or @BigAl07 have to say.
So let me ask you this. I decide to fly with my recreational (Even though I have the 107) and I take some pictures and some videos and I show them to the family and and put it on Twitter or Facebook.

Months go by and someone sees my pictures or video and they contact me that they would like to use some of the pics for advertisement.

Remember I flew originally as a recreational pilot with no intentions of selling the pictures.

So at this point any pictures given or sold should not constitute not breaking any 107 rules?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mav2Pro
So let me ask you this. I decide to fly with my recreational and I take some pictures and some videos and I show them to the family and and put it on Twitter or Facebook.

Months go by and someone sees my pictures or video and they contact me that they would like to use some of the pics for advertisement.

Remember I flew originally as a recreational pilot with no intentions of selling the pictures.

So at this point any pictures given or sold should not constitute not breaking any 107 rules.
The FAA is on record (repeatedly) as saying you can sell imagery taken under recreational rules after the fact.

What started as an interpretation for media outlets to be allowed to use recreational footage is now used as interpretation for all recreational flyers.

The FAA is on record (repeatedly) as saying you can sell imagery taken under recreational rules after the fact.

What started as an interpretation for media outlets to be allowed to use recreational footage is now used as interpretation for all recreational flyers.
Appreciate the clarification

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
@Vic Moss
Thanks for the reply.

What do you think of my diagram in post #8, and this:
I'd say that diagram is terribly misleading. It puts "recreational flights" inside the circle of Part 107.
TIA

Recreational is not flying OUTSIDE 107, it's flying INSIDE the recreational exemption.
Actually that's incorrect - recreational flight under 44807 is outside Part 107, as clearly stated in Part 107:

§107.1 Applicability.​

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, this part applies to the registration, airman certification, and operation of civil small unmanned aircraft systems within the United States. This part also applies to the eligibility of civil small unmanned aircraft systems to operate over human beings in the United States.​
(b) This part does not apply to the following:
(1) Air carrier operations;​
(2) Any aircraft subject to the provisions of 49 U.S.C. 44809;​
(3) Any operation that the holder of an exemption under section 333 of Public Law 112-95 or 49 U.S.C. 44807 elects to conduct pursuant to the exemption, unless otherwise specified in the exemption; or​
(4) Any operation that a person elects to conduct under part 91 of this chapter with a small unmanned aircraft system that has been issued an airworthiness certificate.​

Actually that's incorrect - recreational flight under 44807 is outside Part 107, as clearly stated in Part 107:
Thanks for your interpretation. I must have misunderstood the term 'exemption' to mean that 44807 exempts recreational flyers from having to fly under the rules/regs of 107.

So my diagram in post #8 is actually not correct after all? If not, I'll change or delete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13