DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brutal gimbal initialization

larsst185

Reactions
Every time I start up my mavic and the gimbal initializes it does so quite brutaly. I can hear the gimbal smack into the mavic body.? Is this normal.? It has done the same ting since it was brand new and gimbal calibration does not help.

Mine has done the same thing right out of the box.

Guess it is normal then. Just dont understand why that fragile little thing needs to be so violent to itself[emoji5]️

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Yeah it is a little scary at first, but mine has done it since day 1.

Mine did that only when I went from .800 to .400. But when I went back to .800 and then .900, it quit. Back to a smooth and soft initialization now.

Reactions: larsst185
Every time I start up my mavic and the gimbal initializes it does so quite brutaly. I can hear the gimbal smack into the mavic body.? Is this normal.? It has done the same ting since it was brand new and gimbal calibration does not help.

Mine did this as well. Not sure if it's related but eventually the video image had micro shakes and then finally got the gimbal motor overload. Sent it in under warranty and they sent me a new Mavic. Hope you're doesn't go down that road.

Guess it is normal then. Just dont understand why that fragile little thing needs to be so violent to itself[emoji5]️

I don't understand how anyone can say its normal. I hope you have refresh since its eventually going to cause problems.

I have repaired many gimbals. Some smack around a little bit upon initial power-on calibration. I have never had to repair one that was damaged due to the initial calibration being a little rough. There is no known cure for it, aside from sending it in to DJI, waiting for 6 weeks, and then getting a different drone that might have the same problem, or different problems. Gimbal autocalibration doesnt help, and people just learn to live with it.

You will notice that the smacking only occurs one or two times during bootup when the gimbal is checking it's range of axes. It does not occur during flight when gimbal movement is more gradual.

Mine did this when I downgraded from firmware 9 to 4.

I've put a video up somewhere here yesterday, this definitely isn't normal.

This is not normal, i would inspect your gimbal ribbon cable and gimbal, and gimbal mounts and tabs and rubber bands with a magnifying glass for the slightest defect which will cause issues.
Check out youtube videos for the correct start up gimbal dance sequence.

Last edited:
This is not normal, i would inspect your gimbal ribbon cable and gimbal, and gimbal mounts and tabs and rubber bands with a magnifying glass for the slightest defect which will cause issues.
Check out youtube videos for the correct start up gimbal dance sequence.

Sorry but I have seen this many times on brand new Mavics with perfectly good components.

I have to agree it is a bit daunting to see the most fragile component of the drone, slap itself silly every startup. It has been happening to mine since I took it out the box over 100+ flights ago. I’ve no idea if it’s correctable, or even if it’s causing any actual damage. Hopefully it doesn’t turn into a problem. Or can be corrected in an update.

I have to agree it is a bit daunting to see the most fragile component of the drone, slap itself silly every startup. It has been happening to mine since I took it out the box over 100+ flights ago. I’ve no idea if it’s correctable, or even if it’s causing any actual damage. Hopefully it doesn’t turn into a problem. Or can be corrected in an update.
Worst case is this thing causes you troubles later when your warranty has expired.

My mavic has done this also from day one. I wish there was a fix.

I sent my Mavic in to DJI to get the camera put back on after I banged it into a tree. It came back to me with the camera making a loud whack at the end of the initialization tune. It didn't do that when new. I contacted the repair agent here in NZ and he contacted DJI and they reckoned I shouldn't worry about it. So I took their advise and enjoy the otherwise faultless marvel while the goings good. If the camera whacks itself to bits one day I'll revisit the matter of their "don't worry about it" advise and see what happens. Cheers everyone. :) Here is a clip of my Mavic doing its dance of death.

Last edited:
Yep, mine did that from the start and still does it after banging a tree and getting it repaired by Thunder. If it bothers me to test if it was not normal, I'll refresh it before it's out. Get a "new" one and see if it does it as well. Probably will since they are all refurb'd anyways.

I've owned a dozen now.. every_one_of_them did it except one. It's the one I kept. None of them ever developed issues because of it.
:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov