DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can Helix be recorded in reverse?

Reactions
Can the quick shot “Helix” move be conducted in reverse? In other words I would like to use that quick shot and have the drone get in closer to the subject rather than going further away as it flys and conducts it programmed moves.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

I don't think you can do that with the app. But you can certainly reverse it in post-editing.

There's no automated way to do it other than a waypoint mission, using a drone that supports waypoints.

However, even doing this with a waypoint mission is pretty risky and potentially unsafe, especially if the subject is a person.

Stick to doing an ordinary outward helix and reversing the video in post. Put your effort and thinking into planning and setting up the shot to minimize obvious cues in the scene that it's playing backward (like people or animals walking, bikes, cars, etc.)

There's no automated way to do it other than a waypoint mission, using a drone that supports waypoints.

However, even doing this with a waypoint mission is pretty risky and potentially unsafe, especially if the subject is a person.

Stick to doing an ordinary outward helix and reversing the video in post. Put your effort and thinking into planning and setting up the shot to minimize obvious cues in the scene that it's playing backward (like people or animals walking, bikes, cars, etc.)
Thanks for the reply. I do photograph models and want to use that helix move with her. I can certainly reverse it in post, but if she blows a kiss or something like that, it will look funny playing it backwards. I’m thinking of just using the move as it is designed and play that backwards and try to put the drone back into the starting position where she can interact with the drone flying in manual. Then in post, play the helix backward so that it appears the drone is coming down towards her then insert the clip of her interacting with the drone.

I think that will work, LOL!

Thanks for the reply. Probably going to have to reverse it in post.

Hummm. I didn’t know about this, I‘m going to have to take a look at that. Thanks!

Hummm. I didn’t know about this, I‘m going to have to take a look at that. Thanks!

Make sure Litchi is supported on the drone you plan to use.

Also, from a safety standpoint, especially with a model as you've stated, the accuracy of the waypoints can be horrific, as GPS is the navigation input... With a bad satellite config in the sky (which is temporary), GPS errors can be huge. Big enough that the spiral, which is centered on the model on the map display, actually executes 25ft to the left and smacks your model in the back of the head.

The helix feature uses tracking of the subject from the main camera, so is very unlikely to strike the subject, and your subject will be right in the center of the spiral every time.

Reactions: MA2 317
Make sure Litchi is supported on the drone you plan to use.

Also, from a safety standpoint, especially with a model as you've stated, the accuracy of the waypoints can be horrific, as GPS is the navigation input... With a bad satellite config in the sky (which is temporary), GPS errors can be huge. Big enough that the spiral, which is centered on the model on the map display, actually executes 25ft to the left and smacks your model in the back of the head.

The helix feature uses tracking of the subject from the main camera, so is very unlikely to strike the subject, and your subject will be right in the center of the spiral every time.
Thanks for the heads up on the waypoints! I think I’ll just stick to the plan of the helix as it records and play it backwards in post. Then once it comes back to the starting point, I’ll have the model start interacting with the drone. I am hoping this will work! I have a couple of weeks before the shoot to practice the moves, so we should be good to go. Thanks again for the advice, I’ll take as many suggestion as I can get as I’m still new to drone photography.

...if she blows a kiss or something like that, it will look funny playing it backwards.
Here how to do it: shoot some test footage of your model acting out the movements you want to capture. Reverse the test footage. Show the reversed footage to your model and say "do this". The result can look very convincing as long as the movement is not overly complex (like walking).

You can evaluate the prospects for success by shooting a rehearsal, reverse the shot, and check it out before going on location.

I've seen a video of a wedding photographer that did a nice overview of the scene, then flew in through an archway and approached the bride and groom. Got a bit too close and the picture went wonky as the drone hit the bride. Pretty certain I saw red splashes on the white dress, but that might have been odd shadows (it was just a couple of frames).

EssenYVR has suggested the best way to do this.

I've seen a video of a wedding photographer that did a nice overview of the scene, then flew in through an archway and approached the bride and groom. Got a bit too close and the picture went wonky as the drone hit the bride. Pretty certain I saw red splashes on the white dress, but that might have been odd shadows (it was just a couple of frames).

It is beyond idiocy he didn't use a drone with prop guards. It indicates a level of either such drone noobness that he hadn't learned about prop guards yet, or such a cavalier attitude that he didn't care enough to bother.

Either way it pins the moronometer.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
It is beyond idiocy he didn't use a drone with prop guards.
Even with prop guards that can happen. I've got prop guards for my Phantom, and there's still plenty of exposed prop to slice flesh.

No argument about the moronometer reading, though.

Browsing the forums will reveal plenty of pilots who've been flying for years and yet still apparently don't think even the most basic safety precautions are needed. Sadly.

If I was going to do this type of shot I'd fly away from the model only. Get my drone in position first, then have the model pose, then start the shot, and reverse in post. As EssenYVR pointed out, things like blown kisses can be time-reversed by a decent actor.

Here how to do it: shoot some test footage of your model acting out the movements you want to capture. Reverse the test footage. Show the reversed footage to your model and say "do this". The result can look very convincing as long as the movement is not overly complex (like walking).

You can evaluate the prospects for success by shooting a rehearsal, reverse the shot, and check it out before going on location.
Thanks for this suggestion. Yes, having my model walking or blowing a kiss to the camera/drone doesn’t work.

You can do all kinds of things with Namirda's VLM then fly it using Litchi.
Here is the Helix setup screen
View attachment 167767
Well this convinces me that this may be the best solution. I can have the model I’m working with acting natural and flying closer at the same time. I also like the varying speeds as well. I think this will work well for my model project. Thanks!

Reactions: Sam36401
If there are safety concerns with the drone moving toward the model then one way to mitigate them is to use a drone with a longer lens (like the Mavic 3 Pro) so that the drone doesn't need to be as close. This changes the perspective, though.

If there are safety concerns with the drone moving toward the model then one way to mitigate them is to use a drone with a longer lens (like the Mavic 3 Pro) so that the drone doesn't need to be as close. This changes the perspective, though.
Great suggestion! I have the Mavic 3 Cine drone so that won’t be a problem. Thanks for the suggestion!

Great suggestion! I have the Mavic 3 Cine drone so that won’t be a problem. Thanks for the suggestion!
I would also suggest a visual observer off to the side, where they can observe the distance, whose sole job is to shout "abort" if the drone gets too close. (And work out sightlines and reference points when practicing the shot without a model there, so everyone knows where the abort line is.)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne