DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Casey Neistat under FAA investigation

As omeine who is unfamiliar with Casey, what did he do exactly? Fly in a no fly zone?

He's somewhat careless. He used to fly his drones in downtown Manhattan, between buildings etc. he was known for having a graveyard of wrecked or destroyed P4's.

Then he got a Mavic and lost it immediately

He's lost several drones that just fly off into the city. He's just somewhat careless because it gets viewers

Me too. The guy is a complete fool and a danger to all of us with hi irresponsible flying. It's idiots like him that make our governments create all the new laws against drones. Same as gun owners. Just a few idiots cause responsible owners all kinds of trouble.

The man is a complete Moron when it comes to drones.

Bud
ps
....... and yes, I DO try to fly by the rules. It's a matter of respect.

During his vlog about the DJI Spark he very briefly mentions it at 1:35. Someone said in the comments section that people were reporting him to the FAA and referencing his videos. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Last edited:
Because you can't see an airport in the video does not mean the person is not within 5 miles of an airport/helipad. This includes almost every hospital. I guarantee you, almost everyone on this forum has flown within 5 miles of an "airport" without calling them. If you'd like, break out the b4ufly app and check your own flight.

I'm not sure why you keep only mentioning yourself as a comparison. The point I've always made is that you should not only be upset at Neistat as most everyone even in this forum would be guilty of what you criticize him for doing. As this is true, I'm questioning why you don't then criticize everyone equally. I'll give you the answer... as it applies to most that have posted negative comments in this thread... because he's very well known and that makes him a big, easy target and some people feel better about themselves by being critical of someone just because they are well known.

Because you can't see an airport in the video does not mean the person is not within 5 miles of an airport/helipad. This includes almost every hospital. I guarantee you, almost everyone on this forum has flown within 5 miles of an "airport" without calling them. If you'd like, break out the b4ufly app and check your own flight.

So you've yet to fly beyond VLOS and you've never seen a video posted here of the same? If you have, were you critical of those posts and actions as well?
First of all don't tell me how to fly, second of all you have no way of knowing who flew within five miles of an airport, thirdly, yes hes a big target because he's famous so he should know the rules and follow them to set an example. The person that flies out in the middle of no and that doesn't get any views on his videos doesn't have the same exposure as someone that gets millions of views, maybe he should tell people that its not ok to fly in certain places, but no he didn't. Shouldn't he be an advocate of safe flying? How do you know that everyone's flew within 5 miles? Can you prove it? We can prove what Casey did by simply watching his videos shot in NYC.

Sorry but not sorry, hes a big target and he needs to get his act together because he has a large viewer base that could potentially follow his lead.

He may have left the city but the IDIOT lays on the ground with it and takes off just inches from his face. Then, he almost runs the thing into the face of the guy with him.

This fool will NEVER learn. EVER!!

Bud

During his vlog about the DJI Spark he very briefly mentions it at 1:35. Someone said in the comments section that people were reporting him to the FAA and referencing his videos. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Casey Neistate is an entertainer and will continue to do whatever in necessary to keep his subscribed audience interested. Often he exceeds normal acceptance though I believe with measured risk. Sadly he sets standards and an example to which many will follow. He seems however to be a conscientious pioneer and will no doubt put things right in due course.

Often he exceeds normal acceptance though I believe with measured risk. Sadly he sets standards and an example to which many will follow.

Bad standards and non acceptable examples, i should say.
And from my point of view, , not an entertainer, but a ******** artist

Last edited:
That guy doesn't deserve to have a drone. Or a YouTube channel.

He doesn't deserve a YouTube channel or drone? Casey Neistat earned the respect of his audience by being a pioneer. He was one of the first creators to create their own story telling content; earning him his own series on HBO. He went on to leverage his skills with YouTube and is now one of the most widely watched and respected content creators on the internet. He isn't shackled to a studio or suits dictating his script. That's the dream! Kudos to him. YouTube as well as online content is the future. May I add he sold his social media platform to CNN for 25mil... to create YouTube content.

As for the deserving a drone... he used a drone as a tool to tell his story. Sure, he pushed the boundaries, but which pioneer/successful individual hasn't? DJI advertises their products to capture various moments and as filmmaking equipment. Especially the Mavic and the new Spark. That's exactly how he used his drones.

Welcome to 2017 Windshear, the world is a moving.... quickly.

Enjoy sipping your champagne on the Titanic...

Last edited:
Disappointing to see how many are attempting to slip onto the high saddle or sit in an ivory tower. Yes Casey may ride on manys nerves with constantly pushing the envelope, but come on life would be boring without the odd tilt at adventure.

Reactions: Mavman and The_IanN
First of all don't tell me how to fly, second of all you have no way of knowing who flew within five miles of an airport, thirdly, yes hes a big target because he's famous so he should know the rules and follow them to set an example. The person that flies out in the middle of no and that doesn't get any views on his videos doesn't have the same exposure as someone that gets millions of views, maybe he should tell people that its not ok to fly in certain places, but no he didn't.

So when fewer people are around, it's okay to break the rules. I did not know that. So _you_ can make this determination for yourself and other but other people are not qualified to make that decision? All of this goes toward my point... people here are casting Neistat as the devil not because they follow the rules and he does not, it's because he's famous and it makes people feel better about themselves to be critical. That is the simply truth. I know I'm guilty of feeling that way and I try very hard not to feel that way.

Also, Neistat _has_ put out a video stating that he's going to be more safety oriented, fly his drones in a more safe manner and attempt to be a better example to others. So again, he _has_ done this.

Shouldn't he be an advocate of safe flying? How do you know that everyone's flew within 5 miles? Can you prove it? We can prove what Casey did by simply watching his videos shot in NYC.[/quotte]I've flown within 5 miles of an airport. Even within 5 miles of a major airport. Why do you think it's automatically illegal? I've also flown within 5 miles of a heliport and not called. I'm sure 99.99% of the people on his forum and those who blame others for doing this are guilty of that very same thing.

Sorry but not sorry, hes a big target and he needs to get his act together because he has a large viewer base that could potentially follow his lead.
I agree. I also know it's really tough to be perfect every single second. When you doing a daily vlog you are putting yourself out there all of the time for millions of people to be critical of. People can mad when he damages his equipment. Seriously... that is _his_ equiptment! He should feel free to do what he wants with his stuff. Yet, people call him the devil for that too. People think that way because they are programmed into thinking looking down on other people makes they themselves better. I cringe when I see people do stupid crap and crash their drones (like allowing people to shoot at them with guns) but it's 100% their right and why should I think any less of them. IMHO, Neistat puts out some great videos and his work ethic cannot be beat. He's 100% focused day in and day out. I consider him a good role model. Is he perfect? No. I don't think any of us are.

Ok, so i surrender.
The guy is great, a genious.
And doing a great job in what concerns us, drone enthusiasts.
Sucks

Reactions: WindShear
I hope you're right because as you said, a lot of people follow him and will try to emulate him and at present, that isn't a good thing.

Bud

Casey Neistate is an entertainer and will continue to do whatever in necessary to keep his subscribed audience interested. Often he exceeds normal acceptance though I believe with measured risk. Sadly he sets standards and an example to which many will follow. He seems however to be a conscientious pioneer and will no doubt put things right in due course.

He doesn't deserve a YouTube channel or drone? Casey Neistat earned the respect of his audience by being a pioneer.
He may have left the city but the IDIOT lays on the ground with it and takes off just inches from his face. Then, he almost runs the thing into the face of the guy with him.

This fool will NEVER learn. EVER!!

Not really. Also, Marques flies it himself right next to his own face (within a few feet). Both of them knew _exactly_ what was happening the entire time. It's not like it was some random stranger they were flying next too. In the case of the launch, Neistat puts his head into the frame but at ground level with the Spark and it's about 3' away. He's filming himself so he clearly over-exaggerates a little. You are really trying to make it out as something terrible when it's mundane.

Aircraft engines go trough regulations and have to pass. They are required to just suck in medium sized birds and send them our the other end.... The probably come out more as a stew than a bird.... But the engine usually don't damage critically, and when they do, the aircraft also is designs to adjust it's wings and some stuff I don't know enough about, so they can fly without that particular engine.

Please remember that the tests are done at high power, ie. almost full throttle.
One could argue that when a drone is getting close to an airplane, it will be under takeoff or landing. While in takeoff, the engines are at high throttle, that is not the case during landing, which could become a problem for the engine.
We've just had an episode here in Denmark, where a drone was observed near copenhagen airport, and they had to redirect quite a few airplanes to other runways. That happened last sunday.
In Denmark the rules are that you are not allowed to fly closer than 5 km to the runways, and max height is 100 m. If you are a professional you can fly as close as 2 km to the fence around the airport at 40m. Furthermore you are not allowed to fly closer than 150 m to residential areas (zones are illustrated at droneweb.dk).
But that will not stop idiots.
Some of these rules are sound, and some are excessive, but airports and drones don't mix.

Reactions: Gp™
How long would it take that little drone to reach his face? Mundane huh? Isn't it about safety?

I'm done on the subject because I refuse to idolize him, and your thought process is like that of a small child.

Bud

Not really. Also, Marques flies it himself right next to his own face (within a few feet). Both of them knew _exactly_ what was happening the entire time. It's not like it was some random stranger they were flying next too. In the case of the launch, Neistat puts his head into the frame but at ground level with the Spark and it's about 3' away. He's filming himself so he clearly over-exaggerates a little. You are really trying to make it out as something terrible when it's mundane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp™
How long would it take that little drone to reach his face? Mundane huh? Isn't it about safety?
It would need launch, rise up 3 feet, fly, out of 4 directions, one direction right toward him and then, if he'd not already moved, lower down 2 feet and then it would hit him. I'm getting about 4 seconds with some pretty crazy ninja moves.

Or, it could be one in a billion and DJI's programming could be completely ignored and instead of launching up 3 feet the Spark could, out of 4 directions, pick that one direction toward his face and fly, at full speed, right toward him at full speed. Perhaps 1.5 seconds. Here is a better question.... what are the odds of that happening? If you went out right now and launched your Mavic in the same conditions, let me know how many launches it takes before it auto launches one that one side without lifting off a foot from the ground. It's so risky I'm guessing it should not take you long to get it on video.

Or we could come back to reality and say it would be something like one in a billion. Of course we'd not be able to act like he about killed himself for being so reckless. No... we'd not be able to act so outraged on a public forum.

Edit:

From iJustine's video:
upload_2017-5-27_15-42-12.png

She's about to kill herself with the Spark! How terrible and irresponsible! Look how close it is to her head! It could leap to the side and smack right into her face. She's horrible. People like this should not be allowed to have YT channels! She should be nothing but perfect!

Last edited:
Reactions: The_IanN
It would need launch, rise up 3 feet, fly, out of 4 directions, one direction right toward him and then, if he'd not already moved, lower down 2 feet and then it would hit him. I'm getting about 4 seconds with some pretty crazy ninja moves.

Or, it could be one in a billion and DJI's programming could be completely ignored and instead of launching up 3 feet the Spark could, out of 4 directions, pick that one direction toward his face and fly, at full speed, right toward him at full speed. Perhaps 1.5 seconds. Here is a better question.... what are the odds of that happening? If you went out right now and launched your Mavic in the same conditions, let me know how many launches it takes before it auto launches one that one side without lifting off a foot from the ground. It's so risky I'm guessing it should not take you long to get it on video.

Or we could come back to reality and say it would be something like one in a billion. Of course we'd not be able to act like he about killed himself for being so reckless. No... we'd not be able to act so outraged on a public forum.

Edit:

From iJustine's video:
View attachment 13785

She's about to kill herself with the Spark! How terrible and irresponsible! Look how close it is to her head! It could leap to the side and smack right into her face. She's horrible. People like this should not be allowed to have YT channels! She should be nothing but perfect!
bored.jpg

Why did it take the authorities so long? It's not as if they didn't have enough evidence.
He flouts the rules of the road as well with his electric scateboard.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J