DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Casey Neistat's review

Nobody has done an actual review yet. The modes, the technical quality, sample clips and footage, various settings etc.

Everything now is "oh look, shiny shiny" and read the spec sheet.

There are much better reviewers out there.
I personally prefer iphonedos drone reviews. That dude is just fun to watch and he did cover some technical aspects of the camera and drone, including low light performance compared to the mavic 1.
Casey comes off as one of these airhead type reviewers who dont even bother to read the quick start manual. Kinda like the Jake Paul of tech reviews.

I dont doubt that he is a talented videographer, but regarding tech, he doesnt seem especially savvy. It also irks me the way he just throws and manhandles his stuff around, I dont know what he wants to prove doing that.

Iphonedo’s mavic 2 review is awesome btw. You guys should check it out.

Last edited:
Nobody has done an actual review yet. The modes, the technical quality, sample clips and footage, various settings etc.

Everything now is "oh look, shiny shiny" and read the spec sheet.

There's at least half a dozen actual reviews out there, from people who've had them for some time.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
One of the worst review he ever did.
If you want a great review check iphonedo or tomstechtime

But yes, thank you, not sure any real film maker would choose a zoom, EVER. I haven't succumbed to the #filmisnotdead nonsense, but I do still love my primes. Video is a new genre for me, I'm only 1 year in, have so very far to go, but I do at least know how to spot who to follow.
Yes but one of Casey's mantras is that in video, content is king and is more important than absolute quality. If your equipment let's you get the footage then so be it. This is especially true when the edited result will be uploaded to YouTube and viewed on a wide variety of devices. He is a video storyteller and if a zoom lens helps him do that then that is what he will choose.

I am also new to video but have some nice Nikon primes for my dSLR and I take them all with me when I go on holiday but the camera in my shoulder bag almost invariably has a zoom lens on it.

There are much better reviewers out there.
I personally prefer iphonedos drone reviews. That dude is just fun to watch and he did cover some technical aspects of the camera and drone, including low light performance compared to the mavic 1.
Kasey comes off as one of these airhead type reviewers who dont even bother to read the quick start manual. Kinda like the Jake Paul of tech reviews.

I dont doubt that he is a talented videographer, but regarding tech, he doesnt seem especially savvy. It also irks me the way he just throws and manhandles his stuff around, I dont know what he wants to prove doing that.

Iphonedo’s mavic 2 review is awesome btw. You guys should check it out.
First of all I should point out that I have posted a couple of comments in defence of Casey but I do not idolise him, the whole thing is an act and is sometimes annoying but I think he genuinely wears his heart on his sleeve which I admire.

The reason he throws his tech around (apart from an element of showing off) is that he is trying to show that these things are just tools of his trade and if they can't take a bit of rough handling they have no place in his tool bag. He is actually very organised and his studio is a quirky place jam packed full of stuff. I also appreciate he rarely throws things away and I think he has respect for those bits of kit that have helped him on his journey.

Fwiw, I had to have a smile because beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. I watched the Iphonedo’s mavic 2 review and whilst I appreciated the technical content I found his style of presentation somewhat irritating ;)

The best review I have watched so far is

Guys, most (if not all) of the reviews that we watch on youtube this period of time are biased to a great degree.
Those guys received the drones from DJI. These are not reviews by actual drone owners.

If I have paid for Mavic Pro2 and has something negative, I have no reason to hide it.
However, If DJI had sent me the drone for free, even for a day , I would definately want to receive also the next models, a few months later from now. Hence, why would I reveal any negative points on my review ? That would make them upset. I would just focus on the good points.

My point is, ok watch them, but try to be sceptical on what they say.

The main problem so far is there ARE no reviews.

Its all youtube noisemakers to go "Look its cool, i can zoom in on people, it makes a noise. Oh look,shiny shiny".
I suspect chosen deliberately for cheap, effective marketing and product awareness.

Nobody has yet done a proper review regarding the changes to the camera,shooting modes, the examples, the performance of the various systems and so on. People had these pre-release models for 6 months so there was plenty of time so i guess carefully targeted distribution to people who wouldn't bother doing that.

Its not so much not mentioning the negative points, its just no review has any sort of detail what-so-ever other than "New drone. Awesome!!!111oneone".

Its all youtube noisemakers to go "Look its cool, i can zoom in on people, it makes a noise. Oh look,shiny shiny".
I suspect chosen deliberately for cheap, effective marketing and product awareness.

Nobody has yet done a proper review regarding the changes to the camera,shooting modes, the examples, the performance of the various systems and so on. People had these pre-release models for 6 months so there was plenty of time so i guess carefully targeted distribution to people who wouldn't bother doing that.

Its not so much not mentioning the negative points, its just no review has any sort of detail what-so-ever other than "New drone. Awesome!!!111oneone".
you are right. Couldn't agree more.

GnirtS, Yesterday I followed a link from one of your posts to the air show at Fairford and saw you are a keen photographer. As such maybe you know of Dpreview.com which is a resource full of info about cameras and has an active forum.

The point of mentioning this is that maybe this forum or rather the *. pilots.com guys could expand and take on the job of providing unbiased in depth reviews. There must be individuals or not for profit groups that would have the necessary expertise to help with it. Hung off these in depth 'official' reviews could be users own opinions much like the way Dpreview does it.

The benefit of having all the reviews of DJI products in one place is that they could follow the same methodology so people could easily compare features on a side by side basis. When it comes to the camera part of each review they could go in depth and measure some of the things you are interested in.

In the meantime I have noticed that DxO mark that I use for info about my dSLR lenses has recently expanded to include mobile devices. I have sent them an email suggesting they may wish to also include drones now the cameras (and presumably the lenses) are getting so advanced. I will also put a post on the Photozone.de. (now known as opticallimits) site suggesting a sub forum for us.

Somehow we need someone or an organisation who has access to the right equipment needed to take accurate measurements of the performance of various aspects of the cameras and lenses.

Even with the plethora of drone websites there is still a gap in the market for unbiased technical based reviews. It is there to be taken by the guys that run *.pilots.com IMO (I wish I was 20 years younger - I would have a go :))

I enjoy Casey’s channel overall, but experience has thought me to be weary of purchasing the first-run of anything. Cars, phones, drones, it’s all the same. I’m going to enjoy my Mavic Pro Platinum for a while longer before I upgrade.

How bout those drone channels that have Mavic 2 Pro & Zoom reviews, but don’t even have one yet? That, and following the trending content of others are my two pet peeves of YouTube.

I wouldn't trust 99% of these YouTube egomaniacs any further than I could throw them. These days it's full of nomarks posting BS thirty-minute videos to say stuff that could be covered in five. No thanks.

Wow, did not mean to step onto your toes, i get it, you’re a fan of him.
I just think it is irresponsible to fly that close to people, especially in the place he is in (people not paying attention, little kids running around)

But hey, far be it from me to discourage someone to enjoy an entertainer, sorry if i offended you.

I seem to remember the "close in" video was with the Zoom model.

He was talked to by the FAA a few times. Hence the slight dig at them on that video of "we always follow the FAA rules".

Prior to that he was just an irresponsible video who made a lot of money which i guess is how the FAA became aware of his existence.
I'm pretty sure he had his stack before he was on YouTube...

Seems like a very anoying person, filming and posting people without permission. Basically the type of high profile person used by people to call out for stricter drone laws. Not my cup of tea.
Ummm dunno where you're from but videoing people in public without permission is a non-issue.
You might not like it or agree but in the US there is no requirement for permission as long as the people aren't being used to endorse a product.

Reactions: sdevincenzo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki