DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Corner focus problem due to lens/sensor-issue

Update. Apparently this is a common issue and that downgrading the firmware will help.

upload_2017-3-8_10-11-35.png

Hi guys! Just randomly came across this thread, and of course started worrying if I have this issue as well. Once I read about what you guys call "soft corners", I remembered that especially one of my shots had quite a soft upper left corner. Could some of you please check if that's the case? I just made a test edit, and thinking of it, there might be more shots that have somewhat of soft corners as well, but focus on 0:54, at the mountain tops in the upper left corner:

Does this mean I should send the mavic back? :(

What a view! Very nice video[emoji1303] i looked at your video from my iphone and i can hardly notice the blur. When i look at it on my tv i can harly see the blur unless i really look at it the whole time. I probably wont notice it if i have not known. If you sent it back now there is a backlog and you might be out of Mavic for a month. Other than that everything looks ok man great video

Reactions: Kennetf
Well, after upgrading the firmware and flying again unfortunately it is not solved. DJI is asking that I send it in for repair :(

Although I'm convinced that this is an issue with some machines - the evidence is pretty clear in some of the samples I have seen, however, there is a LOT of subjective introspective going on in this thread that I am not sure is that useful to those trying to determine if they have the problem or not.

If you seriously think you have an issue, don't upload a fuzzy, underexposed image or video clip here asking for people to inspect it.. I would suggest you do something like a focus test such as we do for DSLR cameras. Either buy, or print out a focus target, one that has a good mix of high contrasting straight and angled patterns, set your drone on a table indoors or out, props off, with good lighting, affix the target so that is as perpendicular to the drone as you can with the target taking up the full frame, make sure to tap to focus on the center of the card, then shoot both still, and video, RAW and JPG, and then study them. Maybe try tap to focus in each of the four corners as well just to rule out any focus motor, lens alignment issue.. that's how I would do it if I suspected mine to have the problem

How to Test Your Lens

Last edited:
So, after long weeks of waiting I finally received my forth (!) Mavic (first three were all dead on arrival with this corner focus issue), and finally the lens is fine. Almost three months have passed since my first Mavic's delivery until I finally can start taking images.

The red spot in DNG images is still there, of course.

Hi guys! Just randomly came across this thread, and of course started worrying if I have this issue as well. Once I read about what you guys call "soft corners", I remembered that especially one of my shots had quite a soft upper left corner. Could some of you please check if that's the case? I just made a test edit, and thinking of it, there might be more shots that have somewhat of soft corners as well, but focus on 0:54, at the mountain tops in the upper left corner:

Does this mean I should send the mavic back? :(

Ok, here is my professional opinion.
You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place. The scenery and movie looks gorgeous. I had a hard time seeing anything soft.
I think if I were you I would enjoy the Mavic and especially the beauty of where I lived.

Reactions: Kennetf
Barring the softness issue, I have seen in this group and other groups that photography is a mountain to high for some. Many do not understand the balance between aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. These are key to being able to take decent photos. The Mavic does NOT have a pro level camera. It is that simple. It is a consumer device, that should work well right out of the box. I believe that some people received lemons but I also believe that some people simply do not know how to use their purchase. That is my opinion.

I've been readinfg posts about this issues and man you are very ennoying... there is ALWAYS someone in forums pretending that he knows more than the others... Obviously your Mavic doesn't display the rigth corner softness issue. Mine does and it sucks. I am shooting professionaly for more than 20 years and I know a couple of things about lens limitations and physics. in this case it is a lens - sensor missalignement. PERIOD. Dji should issue a formal recall and treat their customers with respect. If you have a nice 5K monitor you will spot the problem immediately if not, good luck. Obviously the issue is either too big or they have no control at all on wich units /seriar # have been affected...

Reactions: Lis938
You do realise that the Mavic has an f/2.2 aperture. There are very few professional lenses that are sharp throughout. Many, not all here, simply do not quite understand how optics work. Making lenses is very hard work and precise. The lens in the Mavic is a compromise. They made if as fast as possible for decent evening to night shots but in that compromise, you will lose some clarity or gain softness at certain times. Considering you can't stop the lens down, it is what it is. Sending it in 1000000 times will not get around it being a fixed f/2.2 lens.

I work with lenses camera's and sensors every single day!! Buy I bought the Mavic and it has horrible huge extreme focus problems. It has nothing to do with aperture at all.

There are pictures and videos I shot, which are totally blurry except for one single corner. That has nothing to do with aperture nor with a 'professional or cheap' lens or sensor. Our phones don't have this problem and are cheap as well.

I will return my mavic somewhere this week!

Didn't pay €1300 for unsharp videos and photos.

Didn't pay €1300 for unsharp videos and photos.

Sorry to hear that. You'll get a better one I'm sure. It's a rare problem. In my case I bumped it into a wall. It may have been a bit loose already but in the end it got messed up. I've had plenty of other Mavics since (still got two) and had one more crash and the camera is still sharp as ever.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv