DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Corner focus problem due to lens/sensor-issue

photoholic

Reactions
Well there are definitely a lot of Mavic pilots with this problem out there. Come on guys... get in contact with DJI it's worth to wait again for the sake of clean images ;)

Examine the corners of your footage... if it's blurry and other objects on the same plane are sharp that's it... that's the bug. Has nothing to do with software... has to be an assembling-we-don't-need-an-a-final-check-bug.

I'm from Switzerland and right now I'm in contact with the support in the Netherlands I guess. Guys in charge don't know anything about the problem so far (or are pretenting to know nothing) and couldn't find my Mavic in the database so I had to send them an image of the serial under the battery. Not a very promising start with this bird so far...

I'm wondering, if they will repair or exchange the unit. Also if they let me bring it to the post office or if they will advise UPS to pick it up at home... and most important... if will be up in the air with a Mavic again this year ;)

aaaaarrrrghhhhh!!!! Have fun you guys with working units!!!

Reactions: dcb942
Mine was replaced and not repaired for this same issue. I live in the US and I sent mine back just before Christmas and had it back the first week of January so I feel they did pretty good. I did not have the database issue you mentioned. New Mavic is shooting great video/pics so far. When they accepted my return they gave me a UPS label (not postal service) and pretty sure you can either bring it in or call UPS for a pickup.

Mine had the same issue, i'm in the UK, got mine logged and replaced in 6 days.
Very happy with my replacement, in focus on all 4 corners.

Reactions: Egika and AllDubyas
I'm in Ireland - had the same issue image graduating to soft on bottom right side: it's either a misaligned lens element or sensor. After a bit of back and forth with DJI chat (not very helpful) and on telephone (extremely helpful and sharp) I got the UPS label, and RMA approval: dispatched 11th Jan- they received in NL today. Registered as received two hours later: They say they'll have it in a box back to me replaced within 5 days. Probably another 5 days on top for Surface UPS. I'll keep ye all posted...

Reactions: Matisse13
Same here... I have to say: final quality check probably not perfect but support is really really great imho. In my case they say it will tage 6-8 days... if they'll keep word and deliver a perfect Mavic I will tattoo DJI on my di... no let's say behind my left ear...

Reactions: Wacker2611
I have this problem too and going back and forth on whether to send it for repairs. My fear is it comes back with other issues or problems that are worse. I guess I'm worrying too much.... just send it in.

Reactions: photoholic
I have this problem too and going back and forth on whether to send it for repairs. My fear is it comes back with other issues or problems that are worse. I guess I'm worrying too much.... just send it in.
yes definitely... send it in

Reactions: Egika
I've got the problem too... my guess is to take it back to where it was purchased, just take it back to my local Best Buy? No need to involve DJI?

Sent from my iPod touch using MavicPilots

You do realise that the Mavic has an f/2.2 aperture. There are very few professional lenses that are sharp throughout. Many, not all here, simply do not quite understand how optics work. Making lenses is very hard work and precise. The lens in the Mavic is a compromise. They made if as fast as possible for decent evening to night shots but in that compromise, you will lose some clarity or gain softness at certain times. Considering you can't stop the lens down, it is what it is. Sending it in 1000000 times will not get around it being a fixed f/2.2 lens.

You do realise that the Mavic has an f/2.2 aperture. There are very few professional lenses that are sharp throughout. Many, not all here, simply do not quite understand how optics work. Making lenses is very hard work and precise. The lens in the Mavic is a compromise. They made if as fast as possible for decent evening to night shots but in that compromise, you will lose some clarity or gain softness at certain times. Considering you can't stop the lens down, it is what it is. Sending it in 1000000 times will not get around it being a fixed f/2.2 lens.
If it is soft on one side or one corner, it is a manufacturing defect. The lens is tilted with respect to the sensor or not centered properly. You should not accept this as normal. These defects are not caused by the aperture. However, the large aperture will make these defects more visible.

Reactions: Lis938
Should it be as good as a cheap cell phone? Mine certainly is not.

Sent from my iPod touch using MavicPilots

You realize that if you put a camera on a flying, shaking, vibrating machine (which is damped) you will get soft images. If people are getting softness down the centre of the lens, then yeah, I would say that there is a problem, but softness at the outside is quite common. We are not talking about Zeiss lenses here. The Mavic lens is designed for a consumer drone and for the most part it does what it designed for. I am a photographer and I know the limits of such. It is a combination of allowing enough low light, DoF, and trying to get as much in focus as possible. One other thing to consider is that many people have no clue about the "touch to focus" function.

If it is soft on one side or one corner, it is a manufacturing defect. The lens is tilted with respect to the sensor or not centered properly. You should not accept this as normal. These defects are not caused by the aperture. However, the large aperture will make these defects more visible.

Agreed but how can you determine the correct setting or placement of the lens? You may send it back and then it is returned with the same "defect". Is it still a defective lens? When you say soft on one corner (actually there are no corners in a circle but ok), but still sharp right down the middle, is it defective?

Reactions: Buttercup
You realize that if you put a camera on a flying, shaking, vibrating machine (which is damped) you will get soft images. If people are getting softness down the centre of the lens, then yeah, I would say that there is a problem, but softness at the outside is quite common. We are not talking about Zeiss lenses here. The Mavic lens is designed for a consumer drone and for the most part it does what it designed for. I am a photographer and I know the limits of such. It is a combination of allowing enough low light, DoF, and trying to get as much in focus as possible. One other thing to consider is that many people have no clue about the "touch to focus" function.
The point is that what folks are experiencing is softness on one side or one corner. This is a manufacturing defect, plain and simple. No way to put positive spin on this.

The point is that what folks are experiencing is softness on one side or one corner. This is a manufacturing defect, plain and simple. No way to put positive spin on this.

What spin. I don't work for DJI, but I do know how lenses work. I don't care how many times someone sends in their drone. Does not affect me at all. I know what to expect from my Mavic and it delivers.

Reactions: Col@Medlow
Agreed but how can you determine the correct setting or placement of the lens? You may send it back and then it is returned with the same "defect". Is it still a defective lens? When you say soft on one corner (actually there are no corners in a circle but ok), but still sharp right down the middle, is it defective?
There are corners in the image. It is not a circle. ;) You send it back until you get a good one, no reason to accept less.

Reactions: Lis938 and magsta
What spin. I don't work for DJI, but I do know how lenses work. I don't care how many times someone sends in their drone. Does not affect me at all. I know what to expect from my Mavic and it delivers.
Glad you got a good one on the first try. Others have not been so fortunate.

Glad you got a good one on the first try. Others have not been so fortunate.

Barring the softness issue, I have seen in this group and other groups that photography is a mountain to high for some. Many do not understand the balance between aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. These are key to being able to take decent photos. The Mavic does NOT have a pro level camera. It is that simple. It is a consumer device, that should work well right out of the box. I believe that some people received lemons but I also believe that some people simply do not know how to use their purchase. That is my opinion.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi