DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash second time out

mavic pro cult. lol
if you had the inclination...you'll find there are loads of helpful and objective members here only too willing to give their time and energy into helping people so perhaps some self reflection on your own attitude is in order.

Yes, this is an April Fools Joke--on me.

What I learned after crashing four drones

"But, buyer beware. I also crashed four drones in the research for this article. So let me pass on some hard lessons I picked up along the way."

Note that the author of that article also said this:

"I crashed each one of them except for the Hover.

Reason: operator error, I believe, and not being as familiar with the unit as I needed to be.

More on the specific drones in a second, and why the Mavic Pro turned out to be the best purchase, at least for me."

Regardless of ability, intelligence, skill level, .....one thing that is always needed is Common Sense......It's amazing how uncommon that sense really is....

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
I don't see what technical knowledge has to do with flying a Mavic. I've worked in tech my whole life and learning to fly well took hours and hours of practice, and then those skills take constant refreshing. Did you go through the simulator lessons?

All that said, with Mavic's "nervous Nelly" obstacle avoidance I can't imagine mine ever getting anywhere near a tree while in forward flight or descent. Would be curious to hear others' explanation of that.

Maybe your nephew buggered with it. I sure would have if I knew I was the quick beneficiary of your frustration. Seriously though, it's really not a bad idea to get some instruction from an experienced pilot. (It was a requirement in the early days of RC.) YouTube can only do so much. So, go back and visit your nephew after he's logged some hours and see if he can't repay you with invaluable in-person training. Win-win. It'll be worth it because your videos/films will move to a whole new level.

"The vast majority of Mavic Pro customers DO find out that they need to check NFZs, check their RTH settings before flying, and check where the Mavic has recorded its homepoint."

What is this? The Mavic Pro cult? Google "mavic pro crash" and you get 770,000 results. The USA Today reporter who crashed 4 drones is their technical reporter. In other words, his job is exploring new technology. His article is about what he learned testing different drones, including Mavic Pro. The first thing he says is: MISTAKE NO. 1: TRUSTING THE DREADED “RETURN TO LAUNCH” FEATURE.

In other words, "return to home". So Mavic told him not to use this unless as a last resort, "when all else fails". Stupid me to try to use what I assumed was a major feature on my first time out. I should have read the fine print, like those provisos software vendors ask you to "agree" on that always have some wiggle room that will screw you in a court of law.

Look, people. I am sure that the Mavic Pro brings you exquisite pleasure. I have the same reaction to my JVC professional video camera that I used for my documentary and Final Cut that I am using to edit the footage. I just made a mistake buying the Mavic Pro because VideoMaker magazine raved about it. At any rate, my nephew can get some use out of it, I am sure. If he breaks it, that's the end of the story.

You're a dope. A guy that thinks he's so smart, but not smart enough to post on a Forum basically explaining your ignorance.

RTH is a great feature... so is the passcode on an iPhone. But if you don't set it up right you're basically screwing yourself.

You didn't read the book, nor did you do research you claimed. Otherwise you would have found this site months earlier.

Lastly, you reference how many google searches you got for "crashed Mavic"... Lol. Go search "Crashed a Mavic and Pilot Error" and see how many you get.

You're simply a guy that cut corners and got burned. Deal with it.

You're a dope. A guy that thinks he's so smart, but not smart enough to post on a Forum basically explaining your ignorance.

RTH is a great feature... so is the passcode on an iPhone. But if you don't set it up right you're basically screwing yourself.

You didn't read the book, nor did you do research you claimed. Otherwise you would have found this site months earlier.

Lastly, you reference how many google searches you got for "crashed Mavic"... Lol. Go search "Crashed a Mavic and Pilot Error" and see how many you get.

You're simply a guy that cut corners and got burned. Deal with it.
Well said!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661